What kind of wood should I be looking for? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 05-13-2009, 07:35 PM   #16
kid creole
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondabread View Post
Play sand is cheaper than dirt...literally. $3 or so for 40lbs.
I've gotta disagree here. I just bought 1800 pounds of dirt today for $26. It would have cost me $135, by your math.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:36 PM   #17
jnaz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid creole View Post
I've gotta disagree here. I just bought 1800 pounds of dirt today for $26. It would have cost me $135, by your math.
Thats either dirt cheap or cheap dirt.
jnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:44 PM   #18
nickcamp12345
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to nickcamp12345

lols
nickcamp12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:01 PM   #19
wondabread
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid creole View Post
Well, you would be correct. Maybe I should have been more specific. I was talking bagged topsoil from a store - not a truck bed of fill .

I filled my tree stumps in with non-clean fill a few years back. My price was nearly identical to yours. 1 ton for $25.
wondabread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:00 PM   #20
kozlany
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Don't be cutting down mother's ornamental dogwoods. You'll be on her list for a long time.
kozlany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:33 PM   #21
nickcamp12345
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozlany View Post
Don't be cutting down mother's ornamental dogwoods. You'll be on her list for a long time.
I have a dogwood in my backyard that my dad periodically trims. im not planning on cutting any trees down
Old 05-16-2009, 03:28 AM   #22
funkyfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to funkyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcamp12345 View Post
Thats an awesome piece of wood. Ordering online isn't an option so I guess im going to actually have to try and find some. lol
You can always look for some wood at the pet store or lfs. Most stores carry mopani wood in different shape and sizes. It will color water so boil it couple of hours couple of times. Also some of it might float so you need to soak it. What I did is I boiled it for like 2 hours changed the water and let it sit in the bucket over night then boiled it again let sit over night and repeated the whole process for one more day. I know it might look like a lot of work but imo it's worth it
Old 05-16-2009, 08:34 AM   #23
kozlany
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

I honestly don't know how dogwood would work. The ones I mentioned are used for food bowls, tongue depressors, paint stirrers and are kind of bland and neutral wood. Safe.
kozlany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:18 PM   #24
Axelrodi202
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyfish View Post
You can always look for some wood at the pet store or lfs. Most stores carry mopani wood in different shape and sizes. It will color water so boil it couple of hours couple of times. Also some of it might float so you need to soak it. What I did is I boiled it for like 2 hours changed the water and let it sit in the bucket over night then boiled it again let sit over night and repeated the whole process for one more day. I know it might look like a lot of work but imo it's worth it
I wouldn't look for driftwood at a store. The wood is WAY overpriced. A little chunk costs $30! There are many online sources that have much better wood at reasonable prices.
Malaysian driftwood works well for me. Much less hassle than manzanita. You don't have to boil it and such, just soak it if you don't want the tannins in your tank.
\_\
Axelrodi202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:26 PM   #25
nickcamp12345
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrodi202 View Post
I wouldn't look for driftwood at a store. The wood is WAY overpriced. A little chunk costs $30! There are many online sources that have much better wood at reasonable prices.
Malaysian driftwood works well for me. Much less hassle than manzanita. You don't have to boil it and such, just soak it if you don't want the tannins in your tank.
exactly why i'd rather just find it. online i need a credit card for shipping and what not and my parents won't let me. pretty much unless someone is generous to send me pieces completely free, im looking for wood outside.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:42 PM   #26
Vladdy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondabread View Post
40 or 50lbs bag of play sand. Cost is about $3. You need to rinse it for like an hour, when you're done, rinse it for another hour. Get it?
I got playsand in my aquarium. It does take a while to rinse all of the crap off it. I got a 40 pound bag for $2.39

Last edited by Vladdy; 05-17-2009 at 10:45 PM..
Vladdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:02 PM   #27
nickcamp12345
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy View Post
I got playsand in my aquarium
nice tiger barb. i just bought a couple the other day. thanks for the pic. im assuming your tank looks great.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:39 PM   #28
Vladdy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks. I only got one tiger barb. I'm thinking of getting a school of some other fish. Don't get mopani wood. Slimy stuff will get all over everything in your tank and plants. I had to take mine out. It nearly killed my plants, because the slime got on the plants and algae started to grow on them.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:06 AM   #29
requiem
Algae Grower

Default bake don't boil sand

Just thought I'd share my experience with sand, from running a huge terrarium for a few years. I know for lizards, crabs and such, playsand or any high quality sand is preferable so it's low in sharp crystals that would damage sensitive critters.

You can place sand in a big baking bin - I guess a huge aluminium container could do. Stick it in the oven, 400F I believe for a half hour to an hour. The idea is to kill off all bacteria. Just keep in mind sand is an excellent heat captor. It takes a long time to reach a hot core temp but then stays there for a long time. The container will be piping hot for a good while before it can be handled; just turn the oven off.

Been doing this for years myself; never had any problems. Of course I could just have been lucky, but the sand was standard playsand from the hardware store. I did notice a 'mini-cycle' every time I did this - about once a year.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:45 AM   #30
nickcamp12345
Planted Member

I boiled it and so far no problems. =]