In-line CO2 reactor
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 07-04-2004, 12:06 PM   #1
bellisb925
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

In-line CO2 reactor

I think I have got a hold on how to assemble an inline reactor, but still have a couple of questions.

1. Which hose do you install it on(inlet or outlet).

2. Where the CO2 enters the reactor. At the top of the unit or bottom

3. I am in golf course maintenance and have a lot of irrigation pipe glue. Is that safe to use.

4. How will running this inline reactor affect my cannister filter.

If anybody has any answers thanks. Pictures are great too..

I will be running this with a magnum 350 cannister filter
bellisb925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2004, 04:08 PM   #2
TeeItUp
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I run my External reactor on the outlet of my Eheim 2215 with no problems. The CO2 enters just below the top. If you are referring to PVC cement with irrigation pipe glue you should have not problem. I gave mine 24 hours to dry and I also soaked it in the tub for another 4 hours. I made mine just like Rexís (pic below) Mine is the bottom pic.

Eheim Pimp Club member #14
2215 Classic
Eheim CO2 Diffuser
TeeItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 11:32 PM   #3
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

These in-line reactors work great.

1. Which hose do you install it on(inlet or outlet). Outlet (do a search and you'll find the consensus is for the outlet so you don't damage the motor). Water goes into the top and out of the bottom back into the aquarium. Tee it up's picture with the 90 degree hose barb is the best way to avoid nasty kinks in the return tube.

2. Where the CO2 enters the reactor. At the top of the unit or bottom (top as Tee it up mentions)

3. I am in golf course maintenance and have a lot of irrigation pipe glue. Is that safe to use. (if you can drink the water from these pipes, fish can too...for the most part...I just used pvc cement from lowes)

4. How will running this inline reactor affect my cannister filter. should have no effect. If you hook it up to the ouflow you get fresh clean water going through the reactor. I also have my UV sterilizer before my CO2.

Total cost should be about 20 bucks or less. I used an old gravel tube as my center tube (to see through it) and it was a bit smaller than the 1.5 pvc couplers. With the couplers and clean out plug unit my reactor is a bit over 20 inches.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:14 PM   #4
bharada
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

bellisb925,
With a Magnum 350 it's just as easy to feed the CO2 directly into the filter's intake. Since it has a bottom mounted impeller there's no chance of air-locking the filter, and the CO2 has a lot of time to dissolve as it passes through the media basket or micron cartridge.

Just drill a small hole (smaller that the outside diameter of the airline used to feed the CO2) into the intake strainer then pull the airline through the hole. On mine I actually used a plastic hose barb (the kind used for the Lee disposable air diffusers) to connect the CO2 line into the strainer. Either way works.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:52 PM   #5
pufferfreak
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to pufferfreak Send a message via Yahoo to pufferfreak

one question, how do you hook up the outlet tube of the reactor to the outet tube of the canister. Or do you have the outlet tube of the canister run to the reactor then have the outlet water come out of the reactor and go to the tank. Intsead of the canisters outlet tube runing strait to the tank, it goes through a reactor first then to the tank. i see lol
pufferfreak is offline   Reply With Quote