Cherry shrimp and cories
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 07-04-2004, 12:24 AM   #1
Fishbulb
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Cherry shrimp and cories

Ok i want to give cherry shrimp a try but i'm wondering if they'll make it in my tank. The tank has angels and cories. I was sure the angels would be a problem but i have amano shrimp in there now and the angel fish don't seem to bother them. I think it's the luck of the draw on this one. I was wondering if you guys thought cory cats would eat the adult (very unlikely i think) or the baby cherry shrimp (seems likely to me)? Anyone have luck breeding cherries with cories?
Let em know what you guys think. So far i've been really impressed that the angels don't seem to care for the amanos. THey also don't seem aggressive at all towards the ottos but really love chasing each other around. i guess they are pre-occupied.

FB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2004, 12:43 AM   #2
bharada
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I don't think you'll have any problems from the corys...at least I don't with mine. But since Cherrys only get to be about 1" long they'll be much easier for an adult angel to snack on than a full grown Amano would. If your angels are still small there may be a chance that they can be trained to see Cherrys as tankmates rather than food...but with the cost of Cherry Reds it could be an expensive experiment.
Old 07-04-2004, 04:20 AM   #3
Fishbulb
Algae Grower

Yeah that's a good point. What the amanos are doing now is lurking in the driftwood and thick plants by day, and then foraging at night. So far so good, they have still all made it. I think i'm going to start with ten cherries and only put five in the tank. I'll keep the other five in a quarantine tank.

FB
Old 07-04-2004, 04:30 PM   #4
trenac
Wannabe Guru

The corys will be no problem. I would be worried about the Angels depending on the size of the Angel & the shrimp. I can not keep any shrimp in with my large Angel because he sucks them right up, even in a heavily planted tank, he just waits intill they make an apperance from behind the plants.
Old 07-04-2004, 06:55 PM   #5
Fishbulb
Algae Grower

Yeah i'm leaning towards setting up a 3 gallon eclipse for the cherrys if I get them. THen I can just add offspring to this larger tank. Today i found one anamo shrimp in my tank today and one transluscent shrimp ghost. I assume that one of the shrimp must have molted. I don't assume the angel ate him and left the shell. However now, if i never see him again, i'll have no idea if it's because he might have died during the molting process or if he got eaten by one of the angels. Also do y'all dose iodine when you keep these shrimp? Do you do it at full strength seawater concentration (as in, do you just follow the directions on reef iodine supplements)
cool thanks for all the advice guys,

FB
Old 07-04-2004, 07:52 PM   #6
bharada
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I have fairly hard water out of my tap and have not found that I need to add anything in order to get my Amano and Cherries to molt. I finally have a pregnant Amano so when it looks like the eggs are close to hatching I'll be setting up a small maternity tank that I convert to salt (marine) water once the larvae are hatched. The Cherries I let fend for themselves since they can develop in freshwater.
Old 07-04-2004, 08:36 PM   #7
trenac
Wannabe Guru

Fishbulb...I have never used iodine with my Amano's and they do just fine molting, they have tripled in size since I bought them. My water is soft.
Old 07-04-2004, 08:39 PM   #8
cich
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to cich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbulb
Do you do it at full strength seawater concentration (as in, do you just follow the directions on reef iodine supplements)
NO. That concentration is harmful to a freshwater environment. I've heard things such as 1/10 the dose, up to as much as 1/2 the dose. Me, I'm VERY sparing.... 1 drop per 10gallons every once in a while.

--cich