german blue rams / long fin blue rams? HELP!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 07-03-2004, 08:36 PM   #1
cookingnerd607
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cookingnerd607 Send a message via Yahoo to cookingnerd607

german blue rams / long fin blue rams? HELP!

i just got back from creature comforts, i seen german blue rams, and longfin blue rams, the longfin blue rams had way better coloring but had massive amounts of ich. i ended up bring a pair of blue rams home, i have a 20 long full of small tetras and algae eaters, and my 29gal with two gold gouramis and one dwarf gourami. which tank will they do better in? i dont know how to tell sex apart from the gold gouramis. i need some help as i need to get these guys out of the bag they were 2/$6
cookingnerd607 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2004, 09:10 PM   #2
FiberCon
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I would put them in the 20g L tank, IF there is ample places for them to hide, such as plants, rock formations, drift wood, etc. If there is not anywhere for them to hide, then I would make such places for them in the 20g L instead of putting them in with the gouramis.

As for sexing dwarf blue rams, males typically have elongated fin tips at the front of their dorsal fin (the fin on the top of their body) and elongated tips on the top and bottom of their tail fin. Females will not have the elongated fin tips and I believe they will show a stronger red / rose / pink color on their stomachs.

They can be territorial fish, espcially when they pair off to spawn, but they aren't really big enough to cause problems with other fish. They tend to chase them off but typically don't hurt the other fish. I have mine in with 3 large angels and it's fun to watch the little male bugger chase off a fish 10x his size!
Eheim Pimp #43 - 37g Oceanic Cube & Oceanic Contrast Collection stand, Coralife Aqualight 2x65w @ 6,700k, Eheim 2028, Eheim Surface Extractor, Milwaukee MA957 Regulator & SMS122 Controller, DIY Acrylic Power Reactor, ViaAqua Titanium Heater, Eco Complete

AquaLife - My Aquaria and Photo Hobby site
FiberCon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2004, 09:21 PM   #3
cookingnerd607
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to cookingnerd607 Send a message via Yahoo to cookingnerd607

there is a good amount of plants and wood in the tank
that is where i have them currently, i might add some slate for a small cave perhaps. anyway i can get them to show better colors?
Old 07-04-2004, 02:45 AM   #4
FiberCon
Planted Member

Give them time, give the good water conditions and they'll really start to shine and sparkle. They are rather sensitive fish, so make sure to keep a check on your nitrate level, your pH fluctuations, etc. I have heard that their colors will change some depending on different water conditions (more than the typical bright bold colors for good water, washed out dull colors for bad water) but I'm not sure what conditions can cause what changes.

WfxXx on here has some very nice pics of his rams in the following thread in the Photo Album forum: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...highlight=rams
Eheim Pimp #43 - 37g Oceanic Cube & Oceanic Contrast Collection stand, Coralife Aqualight 2x65w @ 6,700k, Eheim 2028, Eheim Surface Extractor, Milwaukee MA957 Regulator & SMS122 Controller, DIY Acrylic Power Reactor, ViaAqua Titanium Heater, Eco Complete

AquaLife - My Aquaria and Photo Hobby site
FiberCon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2004, 04:41 AM   #5
cookingnerd607
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yeah i love his rams, im gonna image that they will be quite happy in my newly planted 20long, i have some tetras that i got for free that were showing hardly any color and are now the deepest reds and blues i have see in along time on any fish, im goign to be able to monitor my water parameters much more too - now that i wont be out of town 4 days out of the week, wish me luck guys!
Old 01-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
andriyandroshchuk
Algae Grower

i'm sorry to interupt your conversation. I dont know how to make my own thread :/
can you guys please help me and tell me if my longfin ram is male or female? the color looks like a female.
i know males have longer fins but this is a european angle ram. and a lot of females have long fins. this one is always a little paler and always has a pink stomach.

Last edited by KyleT; 01-09-2012 at 04:36 PM..
andriyandroshchuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.