Kribensis in a planted tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 05-05-2009, 11:47 AM   #1
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question

Kribensis in a planted tank?

I am thinking of buying a pair of kribensis. Uncertain if wise since Homer_Simpson stated his tore up his Hygro sunset.

Does anybody else have kribensis in a planted tank? What is the result?
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
Homer_Simpson
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
I am thinking of buying a pair of kribensis. Uncertain if wise since Homer_Simpson stated his tore up his Hygro sunset.

Does anybody else have kribensis in a planted tank? What is the result?
Lol, it was not just Sunset Hygro . They also love biting the tips off my stargrass and spitting the bits out. The stargrass grows so fast so it is no a huge issue. But the bits they spit out litter the tank and it is a PITA always having to net the bits out. Also, anytime that I plant new plants they try and yank them out. The only reason that I still have plants is because I have so many plants that grow so fast and they appear confused. The plants grow faster than they can target them and they cannot target all of them at once.

I would advise against getting them. The only reason that I got them is because listened to a petstore clerk(against my better judgement) who told be the Kribensis were 100% planted tank compatible.

Last edited by Homer_Simpson; 05-05-2009 at 11:42 PM..
Homer_Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
Florida_Larry
Planted Member

a number of years ago, i went planted for the first time and also found a pair of Kirbs, Loved the fish, loved the plants.

Readers Digest Version:....Kirbs where very hard on the plants. Swore i would never get a Kirb again.... Still like them, just like plants more.
Florida_Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:35 AM   #4
Trallen44
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

I guess I will be the oddball here. I haven't had a problem with kribs in a planted tank at all. Maybe mine are just special, or they are afraid of the white water ride they would get for tearing up my plants. LOL
Trallen44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:02 PM   #5
Homer_Simpson
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trallen44 View Post
I guess I will be the oddball here. I haven't had a problem with kribs in a planted tank at all. Maybe mine are just special, or they are afraid of the white water ride they would get for tearing up my plants. LOL

Lol, it is probably a personality/temperment issue. I know that personality and temperment are human concepts but having kept aquarium fish for 10 years, it never ceases to amaze me how the same fish in different tanks all behave differntly(some are more passive, others more aggressive, some hide more, others are more active) Kribs may or may not bother plants, but IMHO, it is a 50/50% chance they will and is a hit and miss. I woud not risk it unless your petstore allows you to return the Kribs for a refund if they prove problematic.
Homer_Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:49 PM   #6
Trallen44
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_Simpson View Post
Lol, it is probably a personality/temperment issue. I know that personality and temperment are human concepts but having kept aquarium fish for 10 years, it never ceases to amaze me how the same fish in different tanks all behave differntly(some are more passive, others more aggressive, some hide more, others are more active) Kribs may or may not bother plants, but IMHO, it is a 50/50% chance they will and is a hit and miss. I woud not risk it unless your petstore allows you to return the Kribs for a refund if they prove problematic.
I agree with that! I know I hear things fish have done and I don't see it in mine. I guess I have just been lucky for the most part. I am aclimating a new pair of kribs at the moment, but they will be in a spawning tank not a fully planted tank.
Trallen44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:40 AM   #7
Axelrodi202
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

What about P. taeniatus?
\_\
Axelrodi202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:42 AM   #8
JSCOOK
Planted Member

I have 3 pairs of fully grwon Kribs in a densely planted 90g ... absolutely no problems here at all, and have even spawned a number of times right on the leafs of a large sword plant.

Eheim Pimp #272
JSCOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:31 AM   #9
Voozle
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)

I also haven't had any visible problems with my kribensis pair in my planted 29 gallon tank. I've seen them get pretty aggressive with some algae, and I don't suppose I'd notice if they were nibbling the wisteria, but otherwise they've never shown any interest in eating the plants.
Voozle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:37 AM   #10
brion0
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Have a pair in my 55. Havent had any problems.
brion0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:43 AM   #11
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have decide on apistogrammy cacatuoides. For the Kribensis are very common at the LFS. I want something that is not common at the LFS. Otherwise I will end up having to cull some fish due to lack of space.

The stories I have been reading remind me of a betta I had. He was a 1 of a kind. Had him in a 20 gallon long tank with guppies. He didn't bother any of them. When he died he was replaced with another betta which ate all of the guppies up, so I was told those I gave the tank to. Similarly you see most kribensis don't bother the plants but there are the exceptions.

The breeder told me I have to have more plants before I get a pair so I must wait for my plants to grow.
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:46 AM   #12
Tex Gal
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal

The only problem I had with Kribs in my 125g where that they bred like rabbits. I had to finally get rid of them. They were such good parents my tank was looking like the LFS krib tank! (It was fun to watch them take the fry around the tank to graze. It was worth it.)

95g Rimless

Tex Gal is offline   Reply With Quote