Whn you run out of room for tanks...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-03-2004, 01:37 AM   #1
wonder woman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Whn you run out of room for tanks...

Buh-bye hot tub
I set this up at the begining of this week. My comets and shubinkins are already spawning, thanks to the generous donation of water hiacynth from one of my friends.
Ideas, anyone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-005F.JPG
Views:	369
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	215  

Name:	MVC-006F.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	216  

Name:	MVC-022F.JPG
Views:	279
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	217  

Name:	MVC-025F.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	218  

Name:	MVC-033F.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	219  

MEMBER: #15 Eheim Pimps Club, Cory Addicts Anonymous, COAST, AGA.
550g pond= koi, comets/shubunkin, water lillies.
165g RES turtle pond in progress.
100g planted tank= 240 watts c.f., 1 DIY 1-gal co2 jug, platies, angels, lace gouramies, congos, black neons, otos.
30g= cories, platies, platy fry, ghost shrimp.
18g= platy fry
10g= baby RES tank- Turtlebuddy
30g= temp. adult RES tank- Myrtlemamma
20gL= temp. juv. RES tank- Tweak and Mertle
wonder woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2004, 02:31 AM   #2
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Ideas, anyone?
Yup... seek professional help imediately Christine !

So many people (my wife included ) would beg, borrow and steal for a nice tub like that and you are sticking fish in it... LOL

Now for an idea... I would line the "seat" part of the tub with some large and medium sized pieces of stone creating a ledge effect and put in some potted plants amongst the stone. You could mix in some emersed varieties in the back side of it to get the height.
Potted crypts maybe ?
Man, do I have some long balansaes that are screaming for that depth, I would love to do a pond someday.

I still think you are crazy though Christine for depriving yourself of a nice tub for a few fish and plants !
Old 07-03-2004, 08:05 PM   #3
wonder woman
Planted Tank Obsessed

I know, me too. But there are a few reasons I (we, I kinda talked my boyfriend into it) decided to do it:

1- our hottub hasn't been run for a few years (we don't know how long, we just bought the place about 8 months ago, and the previous owner hasn't been very helpful). We don't know what's broken, what works, or even HOW to work it all. The most we've ever been able to figure out is how to set the timer on the waterfall, which is cool. And there's a big gaping hole in the bottom side where a light's supposed to go, but it's not wired up.
2- maintaining a hot tub so that it can be used at any moment is a p.i.t.a.- you constantly have to keep the temperature up, and treat it with lots of chemicals. This, I think, would have to be done every day, just so you could use it once.
3- we, but especially my boyfriend, are so busy with day-to-day things that we wouldn't probably have time to use it often. And, we both figure that right now, when comparing the enjoyment/maintenance of a fishpond to the enjoyment/maintenance of a hottub, the pond wins.
4- there's a community hottub and pool only a few doors down from us, that doesn't seem to get too much use.
5- I'm not doing anything irreversible to the hottub, so, if we ever want to change it back, and spend the money to get it fully functioning, we can.

So there's my reasoning for doing this. And I'm already really glad I did.
As for more plants, I'd like to turn those ledges into plant ledges, and I probably will buy some lillies and other things and pot them, but I don't know about the rocks. The ledges provide extra swimming room, and because it's small, I don't want to go too heavily planted. And I don't want to foul up the tub too much (in case we ever want to change it back).

Maybe I need to research what plants I can grow emersed (my favorite would be the lillies), but stay fairly small (the tub measures roughtly 8 x 7'). Wonder if I need Flourish...
100g planted tank= 240 watts c.f., 1 DIY 1-gal co2 jug, platies, angels, lace gouramies, congos, black neons, otos.
18g= platy fry
Old 07-03-2004, 09:48 PM   #4
NewKidontheBlock
Algae Grower

YOU SACRAFICED A HOT TUB FOR A POND!?!?!

i like fish and all but i think ur taking it too far
NewKidontheBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 10:30 PM   #5
fishyboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

haha, goldfish are addicting
fishyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 10:35 PM   #6
cookingnerd607
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to cookingnerd607 Send a message via Yahoo to cookingnerd607

i would rather have a nice koi pond over a hot tub, i actually turned a small indoor pool into a pond, im with wonder woman great idea! you should get the waterfall going, and grow some type of vines down to cover up the tiles, i think that would look spectacular!
cookingnerd607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 10:51 PM   #7
ColinAnderson
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to ColinAnderson Send a message via AIM to ColinAnderson Send a message via MSN to ColinAnderson

I think it was a neat idea because of the reasons you outlined. Good job.
Eheim Pimp #50
--------------------------------------------------
110 liter heavily-planted
5lb Pressurized CO2
4.4 WPG PC 6700K
Eheim Classic 2215
--------------------------------------------------
ColinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 01:33 AM   #8
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)

I thought my obsessive strolls through IKEA, with my wife laughing at me, looking for things I could 'convert' to aquarium use was enough to qualify me for counseling, but you have me beat by a bit. You are right though, nothing you have done canít be undone. Enjoy it!

BTW: Now my wife 'helps' me look for useful items, since i started a small nano tank that she's fallen in love with. Guy's give your best girl a small tank with some Hemianthus callicthoides in it.

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 08:12 AM   #9
mjprather
Algae Grower

I have a hot tub. It heats up from 50F to 104F in about 90 minutes. The floaty thing with tablets keeps the bromine levels good. Every month or so we "shock it." And once every couple months we drain and refill it. Once or twice per year we clean the filter. The pump motor is on a timer to keep everything running for an hour per day.

I would say this is lower maintenance than any fish tank or pond. Its ready to use whenever we need it, though we only partake once or twice per month. (If you use more than a couple times per week, more chemicals are needed.)

As for the pond, I think yours looks great so far.
I do prefer the more natural look however. (my pond)

mjprather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 09:34 PM   #10
wonder woman
Planted Tank Obsessed

New kid-

Geez, could you think of a nicer way of voicing your opinion? I should have specified that I was looking for POSITIVE feedback, or CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

Mjprather-

You've made my point- you only use your hottub once or twice per month. Unfortunately, that seems to be the norm. For this, you have to run the pump motor (which is probably pretty large, if it's anything like mine) an hour a day, which is probably equivalent to me running my tiny pond pump continuously. You also have to keep stocking those bromide tablets- running to the pool store whenever you run out, and buy the "shock" liquid. And then, you also have to drain and refil it once every couple of months.
All of the above doesn't sound bad, until you compare it with the time and money I've spent maintaining my pond so far: inital setup costs- max. $200 for pond pump, filter (biological- no need to buy more carbon), hose, fish, food, nets. Time spent- 1 time, 2-3 hours initially draining and cleaning and refilling the hottub. Time spent enjoying/feeding the fish- about 1-2 hours a day. I really don't think we (can't speak for others) would manage to spend that much time in a hottub. Not to mention how much money we'd have to spend just to get a poolman out to our house to tune up the hottub, and teach us how to use the equipment. I'm guessing a couple hundred dollars, at least.

Plus, let me emphasize that one of my greatest pleasures in life is fish/plant keeping. So this just adds to it. Hottubs are nice, and I might actually miss it come winter time, but again, I have not done anything to the hottub that could not get easily reversed.

But thanks, everyone, for your encouragement, and CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, it is much appreciated. Afterall, this is a fish/plant forum, not a hottub forum.
18g= platy fry
Old 07-05-2004, 09:44 PM   #11
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

I love what you're doing with it... You're going to have quite a nice display when you get it going... I can just picture it surrounded by plants and happy fish swimming around.

Have you thought about setting up the upper section as part of y our pond and having it trickle down your waterfall? This would add quite a bit of water volume to your total pond, and help aerate the water.... You could have quite the lush jungle around it too :-)
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 09:47 PM   #12
amanda huggenkiss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oooh, nice idea Gareth

I'm loving it Christine! Yeah, you might miss your hottub come winter, but this you can enjoy year-round!

wannacomewith.com
amanda huggenkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 03:15 AM   #13
mjprather
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDominy
Have you thought about setting up the upper section as part of y our pond and having it trickle down your waterfall? This would add quite a bit of water volume to your total pond, and help aerate the water.... You could have quite the lush jungle around it too :-)
Some potted plants around the area would be a nice touch. Maybe near the waterfall you could make a marsh-like wet-dry filter and plant some sundews or cattails. I am not sure of your climate, but I am fond of Birds of Paradise.

Edit:

Upon closer inspection I see lots of potted plants already.
You are in Orange County, so birds of paradise will grow well near you. Or maybe even a queen palm tree in the background.
mjprather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 03:34 AM   #14
vlh
Algae Grower

I love this idea, I think it is a great use of a facility that otherwise was not being used! If I had a spa that is the best use I could think of, we would jus tnever use it otherwise.
Not trying to hijack your thread Wonder Women, but mjprather what is the white rose that you have? I have many old garden roses and it reminds me of one of mine called Mdme. Plantier. Very nice pond and beautiful dog too!
vlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 02:57 PM   #15
Desolas
Algae Grower

I cannot begin to fathom that you turned your hot tub into a koi pond. I mean really, it would not have been that much to fix the pumps and use the existing jets. Think about it, that much current would be awesome for an outdoor reef tank.

That's pretty cool. It won't even be that hard to turn back into a spa either, just turn it on a load it full of chlorine, change the water a few times and it will get rid of all that algae that builds up on it. You'll have to do some scrubbing, but I think it's totally worth it. I've thought about buying a used or broken hot tub for the same reason myself, I'm just too lazy and busy to get that into motion.

You should get some taller plants like the semi aquatic palms, you can set them in their pot along the back wall/seat and make a nice back drop pretty easily. I had some in my pond last year, they are pretty when they flower.
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote