Coralife Aqualight 30" (Possible Problem?)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 07-03-2004, 12:16 AM   #1
ColinAnderson
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to ColinAnderson Send a message via AIM to ColinAnderson Send a message via MSN to ColinAnderson

Coralife Aqualight 30" (Possible Problem?)

I got my Coralight Aqualight 30" today (I switched the two 50/50 bulbs to two 6700K freshwater bulbs). But, I have an issue.

When I tried to turn it on, the lights just blinked for a split second, and stayed off. The fans ran when the front light switch was on (as it is suppposed to), but the lights would not come on.

I then switched out the 50/50 bulbs, and this time the back one would come on, and the front would light up for a split second, and then stay off.

I switched both bulbs again back to the 6700K bulbs, and both of them turned on fine. So I thought "okay, I probably just didn't have them connected tightly enough, and they are 'electronic ballasts' ... perhaps they electronically try and determine whether or not to supply power to the light based upon the connection."

To test this, I turned the back one off while leaving the front one on for a minute or two. Then I turned the back one on, and it flashed, and stayed off. I turned the front off, waited a minute, and turned it on, and it turned on alright. I then tried the back, and it turned on.

What's going on here? Is this alright (as in the "electronic ballasts" are doing their jobs) or do I have some sort of loose connection somewhere?

Right now the bulbs are both on on my 29 gallon, and boy does it look nice when they're on.

I just need to know if it is an actual problem or if I'm just not pressing the bulbs into the pin connectors tightly enough (though I think they're pretty securely in place). Also, the question arises when I'm not at home whether or not the bulbs will come on with the timer, or whether they will flash and stay off, which is definitely an issue.

As one last note, I noticed that if I switched either bulb off and then on in the span of a few seconds, neither do come back on immediately. But perhaps this is normal.

Sorry for the rather winded post.

Edit: Alright ... I just tried rapidly turning on and off both bulbs, and they seem to be working alright....
Eheim Pimp #50
--------------------------------------------------
110 liter heavily-planted
5lb Pressurized CO2
4.4 WPG PC 6700K
Eheim Classic 2215
ColinAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2004, 12:25 AM   #2
George Willms
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I would have to say that is definitely not normal. I have two different aqualights and have not experienced this with either of them.
Ehfipimp extraordinaire!
Eheim Pimp Club Recruiter, Saergant at Arms, and Enforcer.

29 and 45 gallon. 2026, 2028
My 29 gallon tank
George Willms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 02:53 AM   #3
J.C.
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Yeah, that definately sounds odd. I've got a 96w Powerquad and a 260w Aqualight both from Coralife and neither one of them do that, no matter how often or quickly I turn them on or off.
I would start with the light sockets, and make sure that they are for sure securely on. After that, it sounds like it could be a ballast problem, internal or maybe just a bad ground.
You may want to even call the Coralife tech line (I'm sure they have one) and see what they think, who knows, it could be a defective unit. That's all I can think of right now, make sure to keep us informed.

J.C.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 03:17 AM   #4
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi Collin,
Don't do anything yet to your fixture. Return it rightaway. That thing should light up immediately with no problems.

JC,
How is that Quad light? I'm thinking of getting one. Do you think it could penetrate 24" height hexagon effectively?
Eheim Pimp #21 (2) 2028 and auto feeder
ninoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 03:22 AM   #5
ColinAnderson
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via ICQ to ColinAnderson Send a message via AIM to ColinAnderson Send a message via MSN to ColinAnderson

Thanks for the replies guys. I would call the Coralife tech line, but I work all day tomorrow, and thus don't really have any time to do so. I think I will get in contact with the store from which I bought it and see if they'll send me a new one. Thanks for all of the input, I'll keep you guys informed.
Eheim Pimp #50
5lb Pressurized CO2
4.4 WPG PC 6700K
Eheim Classic 2215
Old 07-03-2004, 03:27 AM   #6
ColinAnderson
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've sent an e-mail to the appropriate party, we'll see how this goes.
Eheim Pimp #50
5lb Pressurized CO2
4.4 WPG PC 6700K
Eheim Classic 2215
Old 07-03-2004, 04:47 AM   #7
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninoboy
Hi Collin,
Don't do anything yet to your fixture. Return it rightaway. That thing should light up immediately with no problems.

JC,
How is that Quad light? I'm thinking of getting one. Do you think it could penetrate 24" height hexagon effectively?
I second that. Man, you just got that and I feel your pain. My XP3 leaked less that a week after I got it running a few months back. Just call them and you should get a new one. Let us know how that goes!!!
Old 07-03-2004, 05:40 PM   #8
ColinAnderson
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiadawgger
I second that. Man, you just got that and I feel your pain. My XP3 leaked less that a week after I got it running a few months back. Just call them and you should get a new one. Let us know how that goes!!!
Yeah, this is the second thing that's been "broken" in the past week. First, the Emperor 280 came broken, and now this. Though, now I'm going to end up getting a canister, so I guess it wasn't so bad. Hopefully this goes alright as well ... though I'm going to be stuck at 1.3 wpg for the next week or so assuming I get a replacement.
Eheim Pimp #50
5lb Pressurized CO2
4.4 WPG PC 6700K
Eheim Classic 2215
Old 07-03-2004, 10:31 PM   #9
ColinAnderson
Planted Tank Obsessed

Still no reply to the e-mail....

I just got home from work about ten minutes ago, but I cannot seem to duplicate the problems! It's as though everything is working. Gah, I wish it was either broken or working correctly, not this. It's as if nothing was ever wrong.
Eheim Pimp #50
5lb Pressurized CO2
4.4 WPG PC 6700K
Eheim Classic 2215
Old 07-05-2004, 04:26 PM   #10
ColinAnderson
Planted Tank Obsessed

UPDATE:

Alright, I got in contact with the company (MarineandReef.com), and they agreed to get a replacement shipped to me ASAP. What a great company! No questions asked or anything (aside from what the problem was)! Thanks for all your help, everyone.
Eheim Pimp #50
5lb Pressurized CO2
4.4 WPG PC 6700K
Eheim Classic 2215