Lot's of Low Tech Angel Tanks (56K warning) - Page 15
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 06-12-2011, 05:29 AM   #211
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

PTrader: (16/100%)

I just spent the past couple hours reading this entire journal, what an epic story that started 2 years ago! I LOVE it!!! You have got some SERIOUSLY gorgeous fish here! The blueish-irridescent surreal / out-of-a-fairyland-looking ones are probably my favorite, but I also think your red-eyed zebras (the original parents) are simply stunning as well. Oh, and I also really like the wide-finned angels, very unique and very cool. I never really wanted angels until I read through this thread! If only I had the space for some! (actually.....how do you think a pair would get along with 10 black neons, 1 emperor tetra, 2 BNPs and a couple amanos in a 60g tank?)

Anyway, thank you for journaling this adventure!

And I'm so glad Sara commented on the parents reading to their children because I was going to say something very similar

*edit* may I ask where you get/got your brine shrimp eggs and net from? I had a surprise spawn of zebra danios in my 5g tank after i moved out the parents and I'd like to try hatching some BBS for them, I liked what I read from the Walstad quote you posted a while back about simply leaving the water in and just adding back the water and fresh eggs. Do you still find this method works well for you? And are the packets that come with the Drs F&S hatchery kit just pre-measured packets of salt or do they contain eggs too (just so I would know whether to order eggs along with the starter kit) thanks!
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!
20gH Planted tank,5g Planted Betta Tank
Karackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 02:09 PM   #212
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

G'morning Kara, wow lets see about not missing anything here.

Think I will start off with the having a pair in a 60g Q. Having Angels is all I know really because rarely have I not had them. A pair would center piece nicely to four adults max would be what I consider angel stocking on a tank volume that size. But,,, while angelfish aren't smart like a dolphin named Flipper.
They are a high enough form of life to express attitude and even be down right mean sometimes. Mostly it's a territory / school dominance behavior but male and female alike can have strong individuals be quite nasty with one another (not always about size either). People talk about an angel 'owning' the tank. My favorite breeder describes her method of 'manners training' of pushy/nasty acting individuals as education. Placing the young ill mannered in a larger tank with mature adults they are 'taught' to be nice LOL.
Sadly even with a heavily planted tank your Amano shrimp would never be safe. Even with the kindest individual angel you could find shrimp are food.
Veils are much slower swimmers than standard finned but angels will consider eating anything they think will fit in they're mouth. Neon schools would loose individuals over time too and only be safe as long as they watched where they travel LOL. I think they are a food source actually in the wild.

Brine shrimp:
The net I use came from F&S.
Brine Shrimp Net, 3" x 2-1/2" 10" handle, CD-35687 $1.19
Same for the hatch kits I settled on.
Brine Shrimp Hatchery Kit, CD-154005 $9.99

The hatch mix packets contain salt and eggs for a single bottle mix and it's costly to use a new one everyday (imo). You can start with one then add just eggs after harvesting the BBS and removing the shells but I purchased no replacement packets and just use salt for new mixes. Room temperature and without a hatching light works just fine for me. I rotate mixes on two hatch bottles for a continuous supply when needed.

I've used the in tank Hatch'n'Feed product but it did not produce enough BBS. The larger fry took station keeping position in front of the discharge gate and the smaller babies didn't get to eat.

AngelsPlus is where I purchased my shrimp eggs. Purchased a 15oz. coffee can full ages ago putting it in the freezer. (still using them)
The hatch water as long as it has no odor I'll re use it repeatedly until it fowls. Draining the live BBS into the net then returning the water to the hatch bottle. I use the same net to scoop the empty eggs out of the bottle as I do for catching the BBS. I stopped feeding the BBS as Walstad described and I posted on page #10 because I'll use all those hatched in a bottle within 24hrs. and just reload.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:57 PM   #213
The Dude
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

YOU started all the madness for me!! I now have a pair of Pinoy blacks in the 46g and 5 Pinoy widefins or veils with blue iridescent heads and highlights in the 75g. Two of which just laid eggs last night!! Unfortunately they were eaten by morning. Now I'm thinking of another tank or repurposing the 29g. My wife is sick of your influence!! Your fish and tanks are so beautiful! She does love watching them and wants me to breed them to sell, but made it clear I can't keep anymore.
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #214
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Good morning! Or I guess I should say afternoon Thank you so much for taking the time to answer all of my questions so thoroughly! I'll have to think more about the angels, but thank you so much for the info! I would have to move the amanos to my 30g because those guys have been around for about 3 years now! I had no idea they could live that long! I'm rather partial to them As for the neons, I'm not sure how much you know about black neons, but they are actually a totally different genus than the regular neons and get quite a bit bigger, so I'm not super worried about them (maybe the smaller ones i would worry about). At the moment, we're both too busy and not home enough probably to keep a close enough eye on the tank, so angels might have to wait for another day, but they're certainly on my mind now!

As for the brine shrimp, that's good to know. I probably would have done away with the packets myself, I agree, it seems much more expensive. I used to work in a zebrafish lab and we 2 cones going all the time, but we would refill the cone with fresh brine water every time, it's good to know when doing it at home that I wouldn't need to do that. That's actually one of the things that's always kept me away from doing it at home. I should have done more research sooner I MIGHT try to see what I can find for a spout at home depot and DIY something for myself (god knows I purchased more than a couple parts to fix our artemia cones at the fish facility over the years i was there ) Whether or not I do that, I'll probably be back here asking you how much salt the water needs

Thanks again for the info and for keeping such a detailed journal!

Oh and I LOVE the flipper pic! Dolphins are my favorite. If I could fit one in a fish tank you can bet I would!!!
Old 06-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #215
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
YOU started all the madness for me!!

somebody always gets the blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karackle View Post
I'll probably be back here asking you how much salt the water needs

Thanks again for the info and for keeping such a detailed journal!
info if I kno anytime

Salt if you have a gram scale here is added @ 16grams per liter. I use the same rock salt I have in the water conditioner.
(4 bucks for 40 pounds ) Being a larger grain that's more than a tablespoon will hold. Regular aquarium salt I used a slightly heaping TBS.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie

Last edited by wkndracer; 06-14-2011 at 06:10 PM..
Old 06-15-2011, 04:09 PM   #216
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

Default Office update

The baby koi are BBS munching little fools and soon to move sadly to another tank. Good news is pics should be easier.

The teen pairs are reduced to a set of short fin koi and a set of plats.
The koi are practicing again.

FTS
Old 06-16-2011, 05:56 PM   #217
night9eyes
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Great looking Koi M! It's great watching the updates

EHEIM #460-- Eheim Pro II 2026
night9eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #218
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Gorgeous fish and great pics as usual! And thanks for the brine recipe, sorry I didn't thank you sooner, I must have forgotten to hit "post" because I thought I HAD replied!

I love your daisy-chained tank network! Very cool.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:09 AM   #219
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

Default Things change

Well it's time to change the batting order seeing as summer is here.
New pair as critters were moved.

The DDSV's were pulled from the 110g are in the efficiency apartment LOL

My baby tank remains the same at the moment only being well cleaned without change to the critter list.
The baby Koi and browns are still closest to my keyboard but soon to move as they grow.

FTS or should I say the whole train? LOL

Fish tanks are better than blue prints on the desk any day
Old 06-23-2011, 01:49 AM   #220
nonconductive
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

whole train CHHOOO CHOOO
The Fraternity of Dirt #2
nonconductive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:45 AM   #221
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

hahahaha definitely the whole train!

Looking good! Can't wait to see some babies!
Old 06-25-2011, 02:21 AM   #222
ReluctantHippy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

I just read pages 1-10 and am completely enthralled but my dinner is getting cold (or already has) and I must take a break. Amazing job and love the thorough commentary. Can't wait to finish the thread later and find out how all the new spawn did.
ReluctantHippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:21 PM   #223
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

Mike, you are taking such great care of my angels. I appreciate all the hard work you put into them, especially since you are only a foster parent and all. What do you normally do on vacations, do you worry about them needing fed? Or do you just leave them to it? I'm especially curious about the fry.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:54 PM   #224
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantHippy View Post
I just read pages 1-10 and am completely enthralled but my dinner is getting cold (or already has) and I must take a break. Amazing job and love the thorough commentary. Can't wait to finish the thread later and find out how all the new spawn did.
Thanks for the comments One of the neat things about tanking is how things always are changing. Hope you come back and laugh some more
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
Mike, you are taking such great care of my angels. I appreciate all the hard work you put into them, especially since you are only a foster parent and all. What do you normally do on vacations, do you worry about them needing fed? Or do you just leave them to it? I'm especially curious about the fry.
Yeah, it take practice to be a good babysitter and stay detached. LOL

We have hired a house sitter in the past. Dogs and tanks covered that way. We currently have a neighbor that feeds everybody in the evening and checks the tanks.
Baby LFABN are OK but young angels (pre-dime) are left to the tanks a couple may surprize us but most do not.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:02 PM   #225
limeslide
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

This journal is full of LOLs! I really enjoyed reading it. xD The tanks look really nice! Congrats on all the spawns and I wish you the best in what is to come!
Are any of the 3rd gen red eyed zebras going to be up for adoption?

...psst... is that BB in the pair tank? :O