Co2 tank question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-22-2003, 08:46 PM   #1
Pancake
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Is it possible to use a co2 tank from a paintball system?The reason I ask is because I found a place where they sell a 20oz paintball tank for $20.00.

Considering my use for it would be on a 20gal tank I think its the perfect size.small enough to fit under my cabinet easily and never be seen.

It would need to be refilled fairly often but on a 20gal tank I think its within reason and the refill is only $3.

My main worry I haven't verified yet is that those particular tanks may or may not have some type of oil inside it.Here is the link h**p://www.paintballwatch.com.Sorry couldn't get the link to work right without the whole thread becoming a link.Just replace ** with tt.

P.S. I really love this sight its full of helpful advise.I already have used the OD plans and it works incredibly well.

Pancake
Pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2003, 12:23 AM   #2
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

The first question I have is what kind of regulator would you use. Second it's a pretty good bet that this tank has some oil in it. However if the tank is new there is a chance that it has no oil in it. And that's a pretty high price for a refill. About 3x what I pay for larger volumes.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 12:32 AM   #3
Pancake
Algae Grower

The type of regulator was something I still haven't found the answer to.Maybe just a common co2 regulater can fit?

Pancake
Pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 01:32 PM   #4
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

I doubt a common CO2 regulator is going to fit a paint ball cannister. They weigh more than a lot of paint ball guns. From what I can see the paint ball cannisters have a simple valve, and I'll bet the regulating is done in the gun with a needle valve or something similar.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 07:35 PM   #5
STAT 007
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to STAT 007

I'm still learning a lot about high-pressure CO2 injection for aquariums, but paintball gun CO2 tanks risk venting LIQUID CO2 that you probably wouldn't want in your system. Depending on your setup, lots of paintball players use expansion chambers to keep the liquid CO2 from getting into the paintball gun. And when you fill paintball CO2 tanks, you use a CO2 master cylinder with a dip tube (to get the liquid out of the bottom). Otherwise, you have to turn the tank upside down or angle it downward to get the liquid out. So from what I gather, you probably shouldn't mix the two hobbies. ;-)
STAT 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 03:36 PM   #6
Captain
Algae Grower

There are 2.5lb tanks. Perhaps that will fit under your stand. A brewery supply shop should have them or can order them.
Captain is offline   Reply With Quote