CO2 setup correctly?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 07-02-2004, 05:46 AM   #1
FiberCon
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

CO2 setup correctly?

Here's what I got: I recently purchased and setup a pressurized CO2 system that included a pH monitor / controller ("The Works" setup from glass-gardens.com.) Every thing is setup fine, no leaking, etc. I have a DIY acrylic power reactor setup that does a good job.

Now my possible issue; the CO2 hardly ever runs. It might turn on for a minute or two every couple of hours. I have the needle valve set to flow at about 2 bps when the controller allows the CO2 to flow. I'm using a canister filter with very little surface agitation of the water.

I have it set to a pH of 6.8 and my kH is at 5, which should give me a CO2 ppm of 24 which is good. My city tap water is a pH of 7.4. I know that phosphate based buffers can throw this calculation off, but I don't use any such buffers and my tap water has 0 phosphates. My phosphate levels are high right now (which has caused a BBA outbreak) but I'm getting that under control.

My plants seem to be doing fine, but no pearling or any such. Is this typical?
Eheim Pimp #43 - 37g Oceanic Cube & Oceanic Contrast Collection stand, Coralife Aqualight 2x65w @ 6,700k, Eheim 2028, Eheim Surface Extractor, Milwaukee MA957 Regulator & SMS122 Controller, DIY Acrylic Power Reactor, ViaAqua Titanium Heater, Eco Complete

AquaLife - My Aquaria and Photo Hobby site
FiberCon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2004, 11:57 AM   #2
GraemeK
Planted Member

Send a message via MSN to GraemeK

Well Im no expert on this but dont these PH monitors need calibrating?
Id test my PH etc using a decent test kit first?

See if the values tie up.

Assuming they do Id have to think about it?

What if you turn off the PH Monitor and just run the CO2 continually for your lighting period and see what affect that has?

I have my PH at 7 and my CO2 reading last time I checked was 23ppm

My CO2 runs all day for 10 hours.

G
GraemeK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2004, 12:46 PM   #3
glass-gardens.com
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You do have to calibrate the monitor with the solution that came with it. I assume you did that. So the next question is what do you have for lighting?
Old 07-02-2004, 06:00 PM   #4
FiberCon
Planted Member

The controller is calibrated and matches up to what my pH test kits read for the tank. No concern there that the controller is working properly.

Lighting is 140w, which gives me like 2.8wpg. I'm planning on bumping that up to at least 160w at least when I can afford it.

Only ferts I'm using at this point are Iron and Potassium due to a brush algae outbreak that started before I got the CO2 setup.

The tank is planted to a medium density and the plants are growing.

This morning I moved the water outlet from my canister up in the water column to aggitate the water some more, and almost immediatly the pH went up .1 and the CO2 came on and stayed on. I'm guessing that this is due to the aggitation of the water releasing some of the CO2 thus driving the pH up a bit.
Eheim Pimp #43 - 37g Oceanic Cube & Oceanic Contrast Collection stand, Coralife Aqualight 2x65w @ 6,700k, Eheim 2028, Eheim Surface Extractor, Milwaukee MA957 Regulator & SMS122 Controller, DIY Acrylic Power Reactor, ViaAqua Titanium Heater, Eco Complete

Old 07-02-2004, 07:33 PM   #5
rkundla
Algae Grower

If you pH doesn't move far past your setpoint on the controller, it won't turn on.

Keep an eye on the readout and see if it isn't moving. Like you said, when you aggitated the water, the pH shifted and the solenoid opened up so I guess that means your system is pretty efficient.

Ron
**** Eheim Pimp Club member #13****
75 gallon, Eheim 2026, AquaMedic 2x150W 6500K MH, CO2, medium planted angelfish tank
rkundla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2004, 12:58 AM   #6
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

I think your setup is working fine now. My water has a natural kh of 1 out of the tap so I have to add baking soda to raise my kH...hence my pH rises to about 7.6 or so if there is no CO2. I have my controller set at 6.8 and it will stay on until the pH is at 6.8...then you can hear the solenoid click the co2 gas off. Once it goes up to 6.9 it will click on...this goes on for most of the day with 1-2 hour intervals between pumping co2 and the solenoid cutting off. Now that I added another canister filter and removed my AC HOB the pH doesn't fluctuate much at all.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:33 AM   #7
FiberCon
Planted Member

Cool. Thanks for the responses all. I was pretty sure that things were running ok, but I just wanted to bounce it off others here to see how mine compared.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.