Weird Eco-Complete O_o
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 07-01-2004, 01:13 AM   #1
Poohbee
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Poohbee Send a message via MSN to Poohbee
Red face

Weird Eco-Complete O_o

I bought six bags of eco-complete from my LFS and was putting it into my tank.. Oh yeah before this, I made the mistake of putting these slate slabs at the bottom of my tank. anyways, after I had put all the bags into the tank I was trying to make a slope but that didn't work since the slate slabs would have made it difficult for plants to take root in the back. I started to dig out the slabs from the gravel and noticed these huge chunks of eco-complete... I mean HUGE.. it was like when they were manufacturing the stuff the machine did not quite break up the boulders. So, I keep digging around and come up with more chunks of eco which i just threw into a box so that i can ue a hammer to break it up into smaller pieces.. I think the biggest piece I dug out was the size of a golf ball.. maybe a bit bigger.. just weird...
6 Gallon Marineland Eclipse 6, Semi heavily planted community tank
Poohbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2004, 01:41 PM   #2
aquaverde
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

I'll be doing some eco later this week. I'll keep an eye on this when add it.

Size of a golf ball? That ain't right!
Old 07-01-2004, 08:23 PM   #3
Poohbee
Planted Member

I should have taken a pic of it....it was just plain weird... hmm I guess I should have saved it and tied some java moss on to it. hahahaha
Old 07-02-2004, 03:50 PM   #4
EricSilver
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I use a mix of Eco-Complete with Tahitian Moon sand, and wish, in hindsight, I had chunks as big as yours.

The Eco-Complete looks black, but is actually dark gray and brown. Under my lighting, however, it appears medium to light gray/brown. The problem is that it "drifts" to the top of the Tahitian Moon, spoiling its velvety black appearance.

If I had my wish, I'd have a layer of pea-sized eco-complete covering just the bottom of the tank, and about three to four inches of Tahitian Moon on top.

==================
29 Gallon Planted
2 large Koi Angels
1 Male betta -- savagely killed by the Angels
13 Neon Tetras
3 Rummy Nose Tetras
5 Black Phantom Tetras
7 Peppered Cories
1 Otto
EricSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 04:12 PM   #5
corigan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSilver
If I had my wish, I'd have a layer of pea-sized eco-complete covering just the bottom of the tank, and about three to four inches of Tahitian Moon on top.
That would never happen. No-matter what size substrate you would use, sand always sifts to the bottom. If you want a sand top then you need to use sand only.

Matt
Member #6 of the Eheim Pimp Club - 2 Eheim 2213 & 2215 w/ surface extractor, LiquidDoser and Auto Feeder.
corigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 05:35 PM   #6
EricSilver
Planted Tank Obsessed

The next time around I will do that. I like the benefits of eco-complete, but it is not as attractive as Tahitian Moon.
EricSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 07:05 PM   #7
corigan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSilver
The next time around I will do that. I like the benefits of eco-complete, but it is not as attractive as Tahitian Moon.
Agreed. I did a Tahitian Moon Sand/flourite tank. Of course the flourite is making it's way to the top (or the sand to the bottom, however you want to look at it, hehe). I think it looks pretty cool, but my next setup I'm just going to go 100% TMS. I think the TMS looks really slick as a substrate, easy to plant in, and even all my bottom feeders seem to enjoy it.

Matt
Member #6 of the Eheim Pimp Club - 2 Eheim 2213 & 2215 w/ surface extractor, LiquidDoser and Auto Feeder.
corigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 07:14 PM   #8
jbarone
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Why not just use Onyx Sand? I found some at my LFS for $17 a bag (15lbs) and it looks great in my tank. It's not pure black, really more of a grey color, but with a carpet of Dwarf Hairgrass or Riccia, it's seem black anyways. It seems to be about the same minerally as Flourite, just a little bit less available.
jbarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 10:59 PM   #9
Poohbee
Planted Member

Eco-complete reminds me of bits of charcoal... the eco I have is not black either it's more of a dark greyish color. with some white and some black here and there... I'm glad most of the substrate is black though with only a few light coloured pebbles here and there. It actually adds to its dimension, giving it a nice natural contrast. too bad they don't make eco-complete in a sand form... that would be awesome to plant in.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:20 PM   #10
aquaverde
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Agreed. I would love to see something that works like eco and looks like TMS.

Onyx sand is a first rate substrate, but it is nowhere near TMS in appearance.

I wonder if TMS wouldn't compact if used alone. It is extremely fine.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:08 PM   #11
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

TMS alone doesn't compact much...tends to stay really loose...a very light sand substrate indeed.

Onyx sand is good, but it does buffer your water some. For some of us, we've got more than enough buffering to go around, and TMS ends up being a little bit cheaper per pound. And, it's jet black sand...very cool.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote