i'm too OCD to pick my fish
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 04-21-2009, 07:35 AM   #1
GaFishman1181
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

i'm too OCD to pick my fish

i never thought i would spend so much time and thought into what type of fish i want to put in my 30 gallon. Everytime i think i have it figured out i find a reason not to get that fish or find something else i would like better. which of these choices would you pick for a 30g 36" planted tank.

a) 10 tiger barbs & 1 albino bristle nose
b) guppies, mollies, swordtails, 1 BN
c) 1 species of lake victoria cichlid
d) none of the above

my water is hard and my ph is high 8.2. I dont have any extra tanks for pulling out fry so i would need a fish that could control its own population or put in some type of fish that will eat fry but not any of my other fish.
GaFishman1181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2009, 07:39 AM   #2
Centromochlus
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (116/100%)

D.

Get some nice cardinal tetras, or any type of tetra for that matter. They're really cool to watch when they swim around in schools. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

So, my suggestion would be 10 tetras, maybe 2 GBR (German Blue Rams) and maybe a few platties? Something to think about.
Centromochlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:02 AM   #3
Dollface
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)

Anything but cardinals/neons, they're very overdone, so are GBRs for that matter.
Also, platies are livebearers and might breed out of control.

I don't have any experience with high ph/hard water fish so I can't really suggest anything.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:23 AM   #4
GlassCat594
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I would get a school of fish like tiger barbs or some sort of tetra of the desired color.
I would also get a couple of bigger fish like dwarf Pearl Gourami...
GlassCat594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:47 AM   #5
melauriga
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

[quote=GaFishman1181;833165]i never thought i would spend so much time and thought into what type of fish i want to put in my 30 gallon. Everytime i think i have it figured out i find a reason not to get that fish or find something else i would like better. which of these choices would you pick for a 30g 36" planted tank.

I am the same way so I can sympathize!

A large school of tiger barbs would be beautiful and fun to watch. I don't have experience with the cichlids, but others have said they uproot plants.

Not to add to your decision-making woes, but have you thought about some of the smaller rainbowfish? I have never kept them but I think I remember reading they prefer hard water.
melauriga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 11:52 AM   #6
Supernova26
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have a school of CPO's and a bolivian Ram and a couple of gold rams. I really like it and the fish don't bother each other. CPO's are great little fish and the rams don't seem to bother them. Just my $.002
Old 04-21-2009, 01:13 PM   #7
Feral
Algae Grower

The tiger barbs would be cool. If not my suggestions are:

Ropefish and Congo Tetras

or

Pearl Gourami (or any gourami of your choice) and Cherry Barbs

or

Keyhole Cichlids and small tetras
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:45 PM   #8
Aquarist_Fist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCat594 View Post
I would get a school of fish like tiger barbs or some sort of tetra of the desired color.
I would also get a couple of bigger fish like dwarf Pearl Gourami...
Tiger barbs and gouramies in the same tank? That's a bad idea. Tiger barbs have a tendency to harass and nip at their tankmates.

OP: What type of tank are we talking about? Water parameters, light, vegetation density, looks of the scape? It really depends on your tank what will be nice.
Pimp Club Member #313

Originally Posted by macclellan
my personal favorite is Random Capitalization. It is so Very fun and Surprising.
Aquarist_Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:27 PM   #9
C2C
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

N. multifasciatus would be perfect for this tank...they control their own population and love a higher ph
C2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:34 PM   #10
GaFishman1181
Algae Grower

THe tank is a 30 gallon 36" long w/ dual t5 lighting (1 6700k 21watt & 1 full spectrum 21watt). Eheim 2213 filter. Eco Complete substrate. 150watt heater. no plans as of right now for co2. My plants come in first of next week so i do not have the tank planted yet. I ordered alot of the more common plants. a few crypt, dwarf subulata, congenisis, nana, a java fern. I really want a tiger lotus but do not now if i will have enough light or space for it. i wanted to put it in the back corner of my tank. The room my tank is in also faces south so the room gets very bright if i open the blinds. I was hoping this in conjunction with my t5's might grow a tiger lotus.

As far as the fish go i was going to use filter media from one of my established african mbuna tanks. I figure with a bag of ceramic cyclinders from my 55g all male and a sponge from my 46g p. saulosi species only then that would give me pretty much an instant cycle for whatever i choose.

The tetras would be cool because they are so small but i heard they are not very hardy and do not like hard water??

I like the gouramies but if i went with them i couldnt have any barbs.

If i went:

5 green barbs
5 reg tiger barbs
5 albino barbs
1 BN plec

would that be fully stocked or could i add in a few other fish.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:26 PM   #11
Trallen44
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My vote is for small rainbow fish. When I have my 55 fully stocked it will have 3 types of blue eyed rainbows in it. I have had the larger fish in it before, but mainly small fish since the rescape and I am really liking it!
Trallen44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:17 PM   #12
GaFishman1181
Algae Grower

hmm those are good choices too. I like the rainbows. I am even more torn now on what to do.

so if i go tiger barbs then that will be pretty much it.

if i go rainbows how many should i get and can you add them with other fish. I also like the gouramis.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:39 PM   #13
binders
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

tiger barbs are so much fun to watch zipping around the tank. Don't put them in though if you are thinking of having any shrimp in this tank. They will think they are a great treat!!
binders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:21 PM   #14
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

i really like barbs and i agree that tiger barbs are neat fish, but they get to be pretty hefty and 15 of them might be a lot of fish for a 30 gallon. furthermore, three kinds of tiger barbs with similar shapes but different colorations might present a confusing appearance. one prinicipal of using contrast in art and design is that it is often best to avoid subtle contrasts.

so, i would be more inclined to use a single kind of somewhat smaller barb (such as cherry barbs) in a group.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:16 PM   #15
Trallen44
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think you could put 8 of each of the rainbows. Right now I have the furcata, and signifer along with some hengli rasboras, marble hatchets and kulli loaches. I will be adding some some gertrudae rainbows to get three different blue eyed types in there. I think you could also add gouramis with them. It is fun to watch the male rainbows flare at each other. Truely beautiful fish.
Trallen44 is offline   Reply With Quote