Bulb replacement recs?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 02-21-2003, 01:01 PM   #1
eds
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I will be replacing my aged existing bulb, and was hoping some of you would share your wisdom in this area.

I have a 30 gal. The All-glass light that came with it has a single 24" bulb. The fixture says 120v, 20w, 60hz.

It has a GE Aqua Rays 25w bulb, and a 25w condensor. I'm a little surprised that the light came with a bulb with a higher wattage rating than the fixture states.

Are there any bulbs out there that would allow me to improve my lighting? Are there any higher wattage 24" bulbs out there? The stores I checked yesterday (LFS and Pet Supplies) had only 20-25w. Will probably make a trip to the BORG this weekend.

I saw some fixtures that have 30w 36" bulbs, but they are around $70. And the 2-bulb fixtures would require that I also buy a new cover becasue they are deeper - front to back - than will fit on my current cover.

I guess I'll eventually end up going one of these 2 routes. Not sure what the total wattage was on the 2-bulb fixtures. But at present, I'd rather just replace my bulb. Any suggestions?

30gal - 55W AH, ecco 2232, flourite/gravel, DIY CO2 w/ Hagen ladder

3gal - endlers/cherry shrimp
4W cf, Red Sea deco nano, flourite
eds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2003, 01:06 PM   #2
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

With normal fluorescent tubes, you aren't going to find higher wattage lighting than what you have now. Even if you found a bulb that was rated for more power, the current ballast in your canopy simply wouldn't drive it any more than it is doing now.

If you're wanting more light for strong plant growth, look at a new canopy. Here is one that would fit on your tank and provide 2.4 watts per gallon.

35" Plastic Lighthouse Compact Aquarium Light, 2-36 watt bulbs - $80