coralife CF question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 06-29-2004, 03:25 PM   #1
hooha
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
Question

coralife CF question

I just made a hood for a newly planted 75 gallon aquarium, fitted it with 4 2x32w ODNO lighting. I now have the opportunity to pick up a used coralife 48in 4x65 light.

I have 4 inches of clearance right now between the top of the hood and the top of the glass covering the aquarium. Would I be able to fit the light fixture into the current hood, or is there not enought "top space". Any other considerations I got to worry about doing this (eg heat).

I'd like to upgrade my lighting, but would like to keep the DiY hood I made and add the lights without too much tearing apart of the light fixture if possible (I've had my fill of "DiY" for a while ). I guess if necessary I could take out the components from the fixture and affix it to my hood, but would prefer not to.
hooha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2004, 04:13 PM   #2
bharada
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

I have the single bulb Aqualight and have seen the double. If the 4 bulb fixture uses the same housing then it's ~3" tall. You'll probably want to add some fans to your hood to vent out the additional heat that CF bulbs produce.

When I added a second single bulb (96w) Aqualight over my 40 I ended up removing my DIY hood and went open top to reduce water temperature.