Tungsten filament lightbulbs with filters
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 06-29-2004, 09:38 AM   #1
kingborris
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Tungsten filament lightbulbs with filters

Hi all.

My housemate is a lighting engineer, and has said he can get me some gel filters (sheets of the stuff) that he uses in his studios for altering the colour tempurature of standard tungsten filament light bulbs. In particular, he has blue tinted filters for producing either 7600K or 4800K light from standard bulbs.

i appreciate the use of filters would decrease the efficency of an already fairly inefficeint bulb, but would the resultant light be suitable for aquartic plant growth?

any one done this before?

TIA.

Old 02-07-2005, 09:42 PM   #2
EricSilver
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingborris
Hi all.

My housemate is a lighting engineer, and has said he can get me some gel filters (sheets of the stuff) that he uses in his studios for altering the colour tempurature of standard tungsten filament light bulbs. In particular, he has blue tinted filters for producing either 7600K or 4800K light from standard bulbs.

i appreciate the use of filters would decrease the efficency of an already fairly inefficeint bulb, but would the resultant light be suitable for aquartic plant growth?

any one done this before?

TIA.
This is a VERY delayed answer: No, it won't work. Gels will indeed change color temperature, but at the expense of luminosity, which will be cut about in half.

For a time, I used gels in photography (as well as 4800K photo flood bulbs) until digital cameras with good "white balance" capability eliminated the need. The gels worked, but I had less light to work with as a result.
Aquasun 156W Quad 5000K || SunSun 302 Canister Filter (Sunsun Pimp #77) || Pressurized CO2 || Dual Current Gamma 15W UV Sterilizers || Hydor Inline Heater
EricSilver is offline   Reply With Quote