Turtle/Frog Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 06-28-2004, 09:13 PM   #1
lokobreed
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to lokobreed

Turtle/Frog Tank

Hey,

Over the last 2 years I have succesffuly kept a box trutle (baby about 5 yrs old) and 2 frogs (not sure what kind, the normal ones you see at parks and stuff).

I have built a large pen outside for them but it does not get much sun as the walls are wood and are about 3 Feet - 4 Feet high because of 2 dogs I have...

I am wanting to rebuild it with 3 sides of the box be wood (those 3 sides be under the deck) and the one side facing the sun be about 1 FT high Wood and then the rest be some type of Secure FEncing that will allow sun in to grow more weeds/plants in there...

I am REALLY wanting to make some sort of stream and also need suggestions if anyone has ever made one outside...

Please help thanks

Eheim Pimp Club member #16
lokobreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2004, 02:11 PM   #2
Mori
Wannabe Guru

You might be able to get tips on how to build a stream from a pond/watergarden/landscaping forum. You're talking pond instead of terrarium now!

Would chicken wire be enough protection from the dogs? Or chain-link fencing? You could increase your light somewhat by using lattice for part of the wooden fence...I think we need pictures of what you have already!
Mori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 07:13 PM   #3
lokobreed
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default k

What is Lattice?
Where can I see this at?

And Chicken Wire Is a good idea.. What I was going to do is attach the chicken wire, or linked fence, to two pieces of wood and then the bottom of the chicken wire, or linked fence would be nailed into wood....

The wood would be about 1 FT high preventing the turtles or frogs anyway out and I guess I would need some better ways besides just nailing and securing the fence/wire to the wood to prevent the dogs from entering... Any opinnons?

Thanks

Old 06-29-2004, 07:45 PM   #4
Mori
Wannabe Guru

Try www.lowes.com and do a search for lattice. You can also use a plain wood trellis (or make your own), which is like lattice but with bigger gaps. Both are sometimes used on decks or for fences.

I'd go to home depot or lowe's and see what they have in the fencing (and decking) departments. You might find something perfect. I think you're going to have to put fence posts on the corners of the enclosure to hold up the dog fence.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:47 PM   #5
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Just a thought.. why don't you build a wooden panel style fence to house your enclosure, but use thick plexiglass sheets instead of wood for the panels? This way you could still see the critters in your charge, let light through for plants.. and allow protection from your dogs?
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 01:50 AM   #6
lokobreed
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default k

Plexiglass is a great idea just a few problems I think would come from using plexi glass...

Please help me if you think these can be fixed

1) Using Plexiglass how couldI secure all sides/pieces together to not allow any room for the critters to get our and to secure them from falling due to wind or dogs. (Like currently I have the wood Screwed together and dug about 1/2 ft into the ground)

2) Getting the critters out or me getting into the enclosure... Using plexiglass how can I get into the enclosure. (Currently I climb into it since its under the deck and Im able to hold onto the deck and climb in, and the wood is turdy enough and screwed in to each other for it to allow me to do that) So using plei glass how can I enter the enclosure with out destorying it? I would need to get in to take them out in the winter and in during the summer for fixing the stream or other stuff...

Thanks

Old 06-30-2004, 05:52 PM   #7
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Build something like this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	enclosure.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	214  

GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 07:47 PM   #8
Mori
Wannabe Guru

As part of it is under the deck and nobody will see it, you can leave that wood.

I'm not sure about plexiglass, though. It might get dirty and look sort of icky, kind of like the windows on my house. What about just stringing wire across the front area?
Old 06-30-2004, 07:54 PM   #9
lokobreed
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Thanks

Hmm, I still dont know if I should do plexiglass as it might cost alot and its just outside like Mori said and not many people will be seeing it...

GDomminy did you draw that diagram yourself? (Its awesome)

How much you think something like that would cost?