Mixing eco-complete and old gravel and mulm
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 06-28-2004, 02:40 PM   #1
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Mixing eco-complete and old gravel and mulm

Has anyone ever mixed eco complete with any other substrate?

I recently moved and have decided to only keep one tank, my 38. The 38 had been set up for 2 years with about 2.5-3" gravel low light cryt and java fern.

I took my 29g tank's eco complete substrate ( around 3") and mixed it with the old gravel and mulm from the other tank so now I have a very salt and peper 5.5" substrate in my 38g tank.

I guess my question is: has anyone ever done this? What are peoples thougts?

I did this basically so that I didn't have to throw down any more bones on substrate. I guess that I will have to wait and see how the plants grow.

I don't think it will hurt the growth in my tank. I actually may expect it to improve a little with the new addition of 2 year old gravel and mulm.

Old 06-28-2004, 03:01 PM   #2
George Willms
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I almost always use some kind of mix of substrates. I'm forever adding something else into the substrate of my 29 gallon tank. You should be just fine.
Ehfipimp extraordinaire!
Eheim Pimp Club Recruiter, Saergant at Arms, and Enforcer.

29 and 45 gallon. 2026, 2028
My 29 gallon tank
George Willms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2004, 03:09 PM   #3
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Thanks George.

How you been?

My 29g tank glass was so scratched in the back that I decided to make my 38g the planted tank. Just moved yesterday. All of my plants are floating now in the 38g along with all of my fish (swimming, not floating). I didn't have time to plant last night, so everything's just hanging. I'll post a new pic of the setup when I get everything together.

The two substrates look pretty cool mixed together, plus, it adds a nice element to the tank with the new depth.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:43 PM   #4
George Willms
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Guy
Thanks George.

How you been?

My 29g tank glass was so scratched in the back that I decided to make my 38g the planted tank. Just moved yesterday. All of my plants are floating now in the 38g along with all of my fish (swimming, not floating). I didn't have time to plant last night, so everything's just hanging. I'll post a new pic of the setup when I get everything together.

The two substrates look pretty cool mixed together, plus, it adds a nice element to the tank with the new depth.
I've been good, trying some different plants in the 29 gallon. Some with luck some without. No luck with Rotala magenta. R. macrandra v. green is starting to take off for me. Hottonia palustris is showing a little growth. My R. walichii was taking off, then the sae's ate it, so I moved them to the 45 and am still waiting for the plant to recuperate, but I think I may just have to get a few new healthy stems and see what happens. Ranalisma rostrata is starting to take off for me too, as well as Potamageton crispus and Cyperus helferi. Think that's about it on my end....lol.
Ehfipimp extraordinaire!

My 29 gallon tank
Old 06-28-2004, 10:13 PM   #5
pphx459
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I also have a few questions regarding this:

Do you guys mix eco-complete with another substrate altogether or do you have like 2 inches of eco-complete on the bottom and 1 inch of another substrate on the top?
pphx459 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2004, 12:40 AM   #6
George Willms
Wannabe Guru

I just mix together. Even if you layet it, once you start pulling stuff out and replanting it, it's just gonna get mixed together anyway.
Ehfipimp extraordinaire!

My 29 gallon tank
Old 06-29-2004, 12:51 AM   #7
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

I like the look of the mix, I think it looks more natural. Ive got just a little grey stone mixed with my eco-complete and all is great.

Like George said, its unavoidable to mix it if its layered... all good plans have a hitch... LOL
Thats why I have always been opposed to using laterite, I play in the tank too much for that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.