Manzanita wood collecting - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2009, 02:43 AM   #31
Green Leaf Aquariums
Sponsor
 
Green Leaf Aquariums's Avatar
 
PTrader: (86/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SWAMP
Posts: 4,699
Default

I wonder how much one could carry on a MTB ride with wood in a B.O.B Trailer

-O
Green Leaf Aquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-16-2009, 09:51 PM   #32
goatdemon
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Littleton,Colorado
Posts: 8
Send a message via Skype™ to goatdemon
Default questions about hunting wood

I just recently picked up a nice piece of wood but since I have I have seen little things about "treating" wood. does anyone know anything about this and how to tell if it is necessary? Also tips on picking the good wood from the bad would also be appreciated.
thanks
goatdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:37 AM   #33
bigpow
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
bigpow's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Petaluma, CA
Posts: 750
Default

Tom,

I took your advice and went out today.
It was such a great day to be out at Lake Sonoma.
Got some exercise, away from the computer, and some manzanita branches.
I need to do this more often (getting out enjoying nature more, not collecting wood).

A sound advice, thanks!
__________________
Eheim Pimp Club Member #74
bigpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:24 AM   #34
funkyfish
Wannabe Guru
 
funkyfish's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hanover Park, IL
Posts: 1,494
Send a message via MSN to funkyfish
Default

Can someone tell me who is familiar with Florida if I could score some manzanita around Madeira Beach, St. Johns Pass. My aunt in law has a condo down there and I might be going down there soon, and after seeing what you can find I will make it my mission to get some wood before I leave.
__________________
My 55g project
"There is a fine line between Hobby and Mental illness."
funkyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:26 PM   #35
looking4roselines
Wannabe Guru
 
looking4roselines's Avatar
 
PTrader: (112/99%)
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,287
Default

Just some FYI:

For those SoCal members who are down for a strenuous hike (the trail is rated 6/10 but its more like 8/10 for me), there is a trail in the Uplands at Mount Baldy/Ice house canyon. Its about an 8 mile hike (round trip) and there are quite a few manzanita bushes beyond the midpoint (Cucamonga wilderness) of the hike. I had a good work out and picked up some nice pieces (dried/dead) on my way back.
looking4roselines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:17 AM   #36
resowner92
Wannabe Guru
 
resowner92's Avatar
 
PTrader: (61/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Glendora, California
Posts: 1,829
Send a message via AIM to resowner92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4roselines View Post
Just some FYI:

For those SoCal members who are down for a strenuous hike (the trail is rated 6/10 but its more like 8/10 for me), there is a trail in the Uplands at Mount Baldy/Ice house canyon. Its about an 8 mile hike (round trip) and there are quite a few manzanita bushes beyond the midpoint (Cucamonga wilderness) of the hike. I had a good work out and picked up some nice pieces (dried/dead) on my way back.
You got to be kidding me I was just down there like 2 months ago.

*starts looking through photos*
__________________
Neil

resowner92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:02 PM   #37
CL
C-A-T-S
 
CL's Avatar
 
PTrader: (79/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 9,695
Default

oh the wonders of California
__________________
CL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:02 AM   #38
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru
 
plantbrain's Avatar
 
PTrader: (255/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The swamp
Posts: 13,240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpow View Post
Tom,

I took your advice and went out today.
It was such a great day to be out at Lake Sonoma.
Got some exercise, away from the computer, and some manzanita branches.
I need to do this more often (getting out enjoying nature more, not collecting wood).

A sound advice, thanks!
Good!

Now you are learning about nature, being a part of it...... instead of this glass box stuff

I found this while looking today:



Regards,
Tom Barr
__________________
Regards,
Tom Barr
plantbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:04 AM   #39
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru
 
plantbrain's Avatar
 
PTrader: (255/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The swamp
Posts: 13,240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4roselines View Post
Just some FYI:

For those SoCal members who are down for a strenuous hike (the trail is rated 6/10 but its more like 8/10 for me), there is a trail in the Uplands at Mount Baldy/Ice house canyon. Its about an 8 mile hike (round trip) and there are quite a few manzanita bushes beyond the midpoint (Cucamonga wilderness) of the hike. I had a good work out and picked up some nice pieces (dried/dead) on my way back.
BTW, you can get a permit from the national forest to collect wood(up to 2 cords, which is a lot of Manzy) for about 20$ to make any downed wood collecting legal.

FYI...........

State parks forget it.

No touch.......

But the higher rocky poor soil locations are best.
I found some good places today as well as the moss and just a nice day's drive.

Regards,
Tom Barr
__________________
Regards,
Tom Barr
plantbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:05 AM   #40
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru
 
plantbrain's Avatar
 
PTrader: (255/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The swamp
Posts: 13,240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by resowner92 View Post
You got to be kidding me I was just down there like 2 months ago.

*starts looking through photos*
If this stuff was a snake, you'd all be bitten

Regards,
Tom Barr
__________________
Regards,
Tom Barr
plantbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:20 AM   #41
resowner92
Wannabe Guru
 
resowner92's Avatar
 
PTrader: (61/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Glendora, California
Posts: 1,829
Send a message via AIM to resowner92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
If this stuff was a snake, you'd all be bitten

Regards,
Tom Barr
Hey I was looking for lady bugs to take pics of not wood
__________________
Neil

resowner92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:33 PM   #42
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru
 
plantbrain's Avatar
 
PTrader: (255/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The swamp
Posts: 13,240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I wonder how much one could carry on a MTB ride with wood in a B.O.B Trailer

-O
If you can ride the trails I collect from, you da Man!
the next victim of the meat grinder, looks much easier in this pic.




You have to use the hands and back to remove the wood.

What are you crying about? You have tons of wood locally that's very similar.

Regards,
Tom Barr
__________________
Regards,
Tom Barr
plantbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #43
vonjager
Algae Grower
 
vonjager's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 33
Default really old cedar wood from humanmade lake

Quote:
Lakes are good also if man made in the last 20-100 years with the old left over stumps.
Tom,

I have a nice cedar stump from a humanmade lake (called Table Rock Lake in MO). This lake is about 50 yrs old. It WAS a valley full of cedar and other trees. I am a tree person so I know the stump is cedar. Anyway, all of the cedar trees from 50 yrs ago are still standing under water. They are nice to tie your boat to or lose your anchor in. They don't rot. But I did hear about the phenols in cedar that are toxic. Do you think this is null and void if this stump has been under water for 50 yrs? I did find the stump on shore but I know it is a recent wash up. However, it is leaking tannins in the water I am soaking it in.....
vonjager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:30 PM   #44
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru
 
plantbrain's Avatar
 
PTrader: (255/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The swamp
Posts: 13,240
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonjager View Post
Tom,

I have a nice cedar stump from a humanmade lake (called Table Rock Lake in MO). This lake is about 50 yrs old. It WAS a valley full of cedar and other trees. I am a tree person so I know the stump is cedar. Anyway, all of the cedar trees from 50 yrs ago are still standing under water. They are nice to tie your boat to or lose your anchor in. They don't rot. But I did hear about the phenols in cedar that are toxic. Do you think this is null and void if this stump has been under water for 50 yrs? I did find the stump on shore but I know it is a recent wash up. However, it is leaking tannins in the water I am soaking it in.....
50 years and you do water changes as well?

At least there's no moths on your wood

I have cedar, that 180 Gal is ceder, the Swamp cedar is used at Tampa Aquarium etc etc.........just make sure it's long dead and weathered, and then soak it good, 50 years should be plenty of time...........

Regards,
Tom Barr
__________________
Regards,
Tom Barr
plantbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:12 PM   #45
Green Leaf Aquariums
Sponsor
 
Green Leaf Aquariums's Avatar
 
PTrader: (86/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SWAMP
Posts: 4,699
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
If you can ride the trails I collect from, you da Man!
the next victim of the meat grinder, looks much easier in this pic.




You have to use the hands and back to remove the wood.

What are you crying about? You have tons of wood locally that's very similar.

Regards,
Tom Barr


Those are some great pictures Tom

I raced downhill MTB for years with my Kona Stab and a ragged out Turner

My special skills were mainly huge doubles back to back (8 packs) It was fun touring with CTS camps on the side for work and on the off days we would drive over to the MNTS from Solvang. Frequent trips to Durango and Crested Butte.

Collecting is fun, but going to Toms is just to easy and almost as fun.

"Live to Ride, ride to live"

-Orlando
Green Leaf Aquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012