CPD fry!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 04-10-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
Dwarf Puffers
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking

CPD fry!

Last night I was looking into the 10 gallon my trio of celestial pearl danios were in before, trying to spot all 3 blue/black shrimp, when I noticed not one, but TWO little fish! They're between 1/4" and 1/3", and since the only tankmates the CPD's had in that tank were 3 temporary sterbai cories and 3 blue/black shrimp, I know for sure what they are.

I know these are said to be some of the easiest egglayers to breed, but I don't think anyone else in the province has had any success, and they're 12$ minimum at the few stores that get them in. And those are scrawny little things. These are also the first egglaying fish I've bred, besides peppered cories (which bred themselves, only raised one fry to 2 weeks old before the housekeeper killed it). Besides that I've only bred 3 kinds of shrimp and 4 kinds of livebearers, and briggs.

Any suggestions on how I should go about breeding them some more? I'm debating giving the tank a good WC (it hasn't had one for a little while, last time I changed it the shrimp were the only ones in there and I figured they wouldn't dirty the water very fast), putting the proud parents back in, adding some more sand and rooting the java moss down instead of letting it float (it could easily cover the substrate and be 2" high). I'd probably try to hatch some BBS for a potentially spawn-inducing treat.

Thanks -DP
Dwarf Puffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
Rion
Planted Tank Obsessed

Congrats! go ahead and do a water change just be wary of the little guys. When you get the parents to spawn either remove the eggs or the parents so the parent's don't eat the babies/eggs. The babies in there right now should be alright with the parents as they shouldn't be small enough for them to eat but I might be still paranoid. I'd be happy to answer any other CPD questions.
Rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:16 AM   #3
Dwarf Puffers
Algae Grower

Would hatching baby brine shrimp eggs trigger more spawning? I've never done it, but I have a large packet of eggs hiding around here somewhere.
Dwarf Puffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:55 AM   #4
Rion
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sorry about the delay, the brine shrimp won't trigger a spawning it just puts them in a condition for spawning. You don't need the brine shrimp to get them to breed since I've done fine with just finely crushed flakes but there is quite a bit of live food squirming in my planted tank. For me they usually spawn about every other week usually the day after a water change.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:46 AM   #5
DarrylR
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (43/100%)

Seemed the only reason I got mine to spawn by hatching BBS everyday and feeding that with flakes and bloodworms.
DarrylR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:18 AM   #6
Rion
Planted Tank Obsessed

Huh, mine actually tried to spawn soon after I added the first batch to the tank. Heck I haven't been feeding frozen daphnia regularly ever (maybe once a week), just mostly crushed flakes and I get a regular spawning about once every two weeks. I dunno maybe there's just something in the water here =P