aquarium stand in raw industrial style - Page 15
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2013, 09:16 PM   #211
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru
 
Hoppy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (74/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 18,789
Default

The acrylic light supports are really one of a kind, and they look great. I can see how they might be very limited in weight carrying capacity, but for the size light you have, they seem perfect. And, the "door" design is also unique, and equally good looking. Personally, I think the proportions of the stand could be better, but it is still an outstanding design.
__________________
Hoppy
Hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-26-2013, 01:44 AM   #212
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru
 
AnotherHobby's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Apple Valley, MN
Posts: 1,359
Default

Thanks everyone! As for using a kreg jig, I have no idea. I'm not any sort of master work worker, so that's something you'd have to look into.

Hoppy, you are spot on with regards to the weight capacity on the acrylic. I'm not sure it could even support a second finnex unit like a Monster Ray, but it might. I'd have to try it. As for any non-led unit, I don't think it'd have a chance. Also, I'm curious about your thoughts on the proportions. Are you thinking of where I chose to put the lower cross unit? I wasn't entirely happy with that after I did it, but it's done. I think it would look better higher up, but then I couldn't fit all my equipment under it. My Fluval 306 sneaks out with less than 1/4" of space.

Otherwise, the width matches the tank, the depth is as shallow as I could go with these supports (which is 2" past the tank in back), and the height is to make it perfect viewing height for my chair that sit's immediately beside it.

I do think the stand it's slightly imposing for the tank. However, with the way it sits normally, much of the stand hides behind my chair (the plant to the left is normally up against it, touching it):

AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #213
0live
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
0live's Avatar
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Providence, RI
Posts: 923
Default

Okay... I REALLY like these stands. I've been planning out a fishroom and need to make a rack for some 15gals. Any obvious issues with using this design base for something like that?
0live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #214
Lornek8
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Kaneohe, Hawaii
Posts: 532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostlydave View Post
That stand is amazing AnotherHobby!

do you think it would be possible to build this using a kreg jig intead of the brackets?

The 2x4s and 4x4 would be screwed to each other and glued and then the whole stand could be screwed and glued to the 3/4 inch peice the tank is actually sitting on.

I think it would look great assemled without the brackets and with no visible screws

The stand could easiley and quickly done with a Kreg Jig. I'd go for the newer HD version as they are designed for 2x material and are much stronger than the standard version. All-in-all pretty strong construction though most likely not as strong as with the brackets.
Lornek8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:40 PM   #215
Lornek8
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Kaneohe, Hawaii
Posts: 532
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherHobby View Post
Thanks everyone! As for using a kreg jig, I have no idea. I'm not any sort of master work worker, so that's something you'd have to look into.

Hoppy, you are spot on with regards to the weight capacity on the acrylic. I'm not sure it could even support a second finnex unit like a Monster Ray, but it might. I'd have to try it. As for any non-led unit, I don't think it'd have a chance. Also, I'm curious about your thoughts on the proportions. Are you thinking of where I chose to put the lower cross unit? I wasn't entirely happy with that after I did it, but it's done. I think it would look better higher up, but then I couldn't fit all my equipment under it. My Fluval 306 sneaks out with less than 1/4" of space.

Otherwise, the width matches the tank, the depth is as shallow as I could go with these supports (which is 2" past the tank in back), and the height is to make it perfect viewing height for my chair that sit's immediately beside it.

I do think the stand it's slightly imposing for the tank. However, with the way it sits normally, much of the stand hides behind my chair (the plant to the left is normally up against it, touching it):


Having started with reading this post I wasn't sure what Hoppy's comments were about, but having looked at the pics with the legs exposed gave me some ideas. To me, the stand with the 4x4 legs exposed looks a bit "heavy" and clumsy for the tank. Kinda like looking at an elephant. For a larger stand I think the look would work but for a smaller tank I think it might work better with the lower support closer to the ground. Just my personal opinion though, still love the looks of the stand and the doors/sides. Kinda a tansu-ish look to the stand.
Lornek8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #216
ipkiss
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 341
Default

very nice! I thought it was a bit ghetto when my dad built something similar back in the day to support his 75G because nothing we found at the stores seemed solid enough (I think he used the simpson series of joints too!) -- but I never was creative enough to figure out that finishing the wood would've made all the difference!

thanks OP and everyone else who posted their ideas!

Last edited by ipkiss; 09-10-2013 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: changed link
ipkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #217
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru
 
AnotherHobby's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Apple Valley, MN
Posts: 1,359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornek8 View Post
Having started with reading this post I wasn't sure what Hoppy's comments were about, but having looked at the pics with the legs exposed gave me some ideas. To me, the stand with the 4x4 legs exposed looks a bit "heavy" and clumsy for the tank. Kinda like looking at an elephant. For a larger stand I think the look would work but for a smaller tank I think it might work better with the lower support closer to the ground. Just my personal opinion though, still love the looks of the stand and the doors/sides. Kinda a tansu-ish look to the stand.
I don't disagree. Luckily I (or anybody) can't see it because it's behind my chair.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #218
Knicolas
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 173
Default

So I'm planning on making a stand but using only 2x4's. My tank is a Mini-L with the dimensions: 45cmx27cmx30cm (approx:18"x10.5"x12"). My question is: without adding a plywood top, would the tank be safely supported with just the outer edges of the stand? Also, what's the highest I can safely make the stand if the stand were to be made close to 18"W x 10.5"D?
Knicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #219
Stone454
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: East of knox
Posts: 331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicolas View Post
So I'm planning on making a stand but using only 2x4's. My tank is a Mini-L with the dimensions: 45cmx27cmx30cm (approx:18"x10.5"x12"). My question is: without adding a plywood top, would the tank be safely supported with just the outer edges of the stand? Also, what's the highest I can safely make the stand if the stand were to be made close to 18"W x 10.5"D?
I do not know this specific tank, but if it has a rim or feet you should only need support on the edges/feet, if it is flat on the bottom i would fully support the bottom but use a piece of leather or something to put under the tank to give it a bit of cushion to keep it from getting scratched and so on
Stone454 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #220
WEGL5280
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 20
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicolas View Post
So I'm planning on making a stand but using only 2x4's. My tank is a Mini-L with the dimensions: 45cmx27cmx30cm (approx:18"x10.5"x12"). My question is: without adding a plywood top, would the tank be safely supported with just the outer edges of the stand? Also, what's the highest I can safely make the stand if the stand were to be made close to 18"W x 10.5"D?
With a rimless glass tank, or acrylic (I believe), you really need a flat surface beneath it to prevent bowing of the bottom pane. I would definitely do a plywood top on it, and then your "garden mat" for $30 (OR a $6 roll of black slip-resistant drawer liner from HomeDepot, enough to do about 3-4 custom fit rimless mats, and about 99% identical material )
WEGL5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:40 AM   #221
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru
 
Hoppy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (74/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 18,789
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornek8 View Post
Having started with reading this post I wasn't sure what Hoppy's comments were about, but having looked at the pics with the legs exposed gave me some ideas. To me, the stand with the 4x4 legs exposed looks a bit "heavy" and clumsy for the tank. Kinda like looking at an elephant. For a larger stand I think the look would work but for a smaller tank I think it might work better with the lower support closer to the ground. Just my personal opinion though, still love the looks of the stand and the doors/sides. Kinda a tansu-ish look to the stand.
I'm not a good designer, when it comes to selecting good proportions. I do notice when I see a design that doesn't seem "right" in proportions, and that was what I reacted to with this one. Unfortunately, I don't know why it seems "not right". When I made a somewhat similar stand, I took Hydrophytes design and kept the same proportions of the parts, and was very pleased with the final appearance. (I measured everything from the photo and figured the proportions from that.) Good design is a skill, and I suspect it is in part something that can be taught, but also in part just good artistic judgment, something I lack.
__________________
Hoppy
Hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:07 AM   #222
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru
 
AnotherHobby's Avatar
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Apple Valley, MN
Posts: 1,359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I'm not a good designer, when it comes to selecting good proportions. I do notice when I see a design that doesn't seem "right" in proportions, and that was what I reacted to with this one. Unfortunately, I don't know why it seems "not right". When I made a somewhat similar stand, I took Hydrophytes design and kept the same proportions of the parts, and was very pleased with the final appearance. (I measured everything from the photo and figured the proportions from that.) Good design is a skill, and I suspect it is in part something that can be taught, but also in part just good artistic judgment, something I lack.
I chose my proportions based specifically on being able to fit my CO2 tank on/in the lower shelf. Sometimes when you design to mechanical specification you end up sacrificing in the aesthetic. While I enjoy the look of this stand in general (and can't see the proportions behind my chair anyway), I'm contemplating swapping it out for an Ikea stand that Brian_Cali77 is using. It would fit the modern look of my tank and lights better, and offers more storage.
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:14 AM   #223
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru
 
lochaber's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 2,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicolas View Post
So I'm planning on making a stand but using only 2x4's. My tank is a Mini-L with the dimensions: 45cmx27cmx30cm (approx:18"x10.5"x12"). My question is: without adding a plywood top, would the tank be safely supported with just the outer edges of the stand? Also, what's the highest I can safely make the stand if the stand were to be made close to 18"W x 10.5"D?

For a tank of that dimensions, you could do a really simple (and easy) stand out of a couple lengths of 2x12 - it will be wide enough(~11.5") to support the width of the tank, and it's plenty strong. I've currently got a 20XH set up on a stand made out of a single 2"x12"x12' (meant to get 10', but wasn't paying attention, and have a bit over a foot of scrap 2x12...). I'm trying to upload a pic from my phone, but sometimes it takes a while (or just doesn't work...)

basically take two pieces for the verticle segments, and run some simple dados in them about 3/4-1" deep(I did mine with a circ saw and chisels), and then stick the shelve segments in them, glue and screw, finish, and you're set. -I've got a set of bookshelves about a decade old I did in the same manner, and one of the ends is cupping, but the horizontals have been held pretty stable by the dados. And it's pretty strong, especially considered the time and planning (or lack thereof) that went into it.


aaand... I can't get the pic from my phone (and likely you wouldn't be able to make out anything aside from the clutter on/around my stand anyways...), so here's some google search images to try and demonstrate:

like this, except rotated 90 degrees

just like this, except only two shelves, and actual-sized

I hope some of that made sense, it really is easy, and strong...
lochaber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:34 AM   #224
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Aqualady's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 820
Default

Does anyone know how I can do this for it to 2 ten gallons, one on top and other on the bottom? The space I have to work with is 24x13.....I want it 31" tall.
Aqualady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:33 AM   #225
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru
 
lochaber's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 2,036
Default

I think it would work if you build it big enough so that the legs sit just on the outside of the 10 gallons, and then add another set of braces on each level for the horizontals that will support the rim under the sides of the 10G.

Basically, build the stand wide (front to back) to fit a 10 gallon, but a bit too long (right to left), and then add in another set of horizontal supports to fit it to the 10g.
lochaber is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012