aquarium stand in raw industrial style - Page 11
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 04-25-2012, 06:14 AM   #151
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
2 x 4s legs are fine up to at least a 90 gallon. People use 4x4s either because they don't really know how to build solidly or because it makes it easier to cut the lap joints for the horizontal members.
Or, if they are visible design elements, because 4 x 4 legs usually look better.
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #152
daffyfish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/83%)

Hmmm... Thinking this might work perfect for the 56 column, I just picked up.
Thanks
daffyfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #153
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)

We're moving in a few weeks and think I might take apart my current 75 stand and paint it like hydro did above. Will report back if it works out.
OverStocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #154
Ridewithme38
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
2 x 4s legs are fine up to at least a 90 gallon. People use 4x4s either because they don't really know how to build solidly or because it makes it easier to cut the lap joints for the horizontal members.
Wait?? now i have to know what lap joints are to build an Aquarium stand?

I love this stand, but i'm going to try to use all 4x4 construction...i just prefer the look of 4x4s to the look of 2x4's...I was originally just going to use L brackets, but these, while also being better looking, seem much more secure
Ridewithme38 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #155
BS87
Planted Member

Just about to finish mine this weekend. Wood is stained, looks really nice. Only thing I can't decide is if i want to put some time of clear coat on, or leave it bare stain.

http://onebit.us/x/u/BS87/55ec64904d.jpg

*removed img tags because wow, that was a large picture. sorry.

Last edited by BS87; 07-01-2012 at 06:44 PM..
BS87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #156
dbosman@msu.edu
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Either oil seal it or use polyurethane. I really like Minwax Oil.
Several years from now you'll be unhappy about the odd stains from not sealing it.
dbosman@msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2012, 02:13 AM   #157
BS87
Planted Member

Well, the stain I used was an "outdoor" stain, composed of oils (linseed, tung and another, if i recall). It's not intended for indoor use but I've seen it used before with no problems, I'll try to look up if i needs a seal coat or not.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #158
BS87
Planted Member

So I poly'ed the wood, and assembled the stand today. It's came out closer to level & square than I thought it would! My only concern is this: Even though I based the dimensions of the stand on the bottom trim, and built it to have an extra 1/4" on each side, the trim comes right up to the edge of the wood in certain places. There is maybe 1mm of clearance between the trim and edge of the wood. There is no overhang, however. Also, there is about a 1/8" gap between the trim and all of the 2x4 cross pieces, which I understand is "alright" as the tank is designed to put all it's weight in the corners.

However, would it be a good idea to cut a flat top out of plywood, so that the rim is 100% touching wood, and if cut a wee bit larger, there is more wood between the edge of the rim and edge of the wood? IE cut a flat top, have an extra 1/2" on all sides, but obviously still center the tank so the edges rest over the 4x4s?
Old 07-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #159
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (142/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS87 View Post
So I poly'ed the wood, and assembled the stand today. It's came out closer to level & square than I thought it would! My only concern is this: Even though I based the dimensions of the stand on the bottom trim, and built it to have an extra 1/4" on each side, the trim comes right up to the edge of the wood in certain places. There is maybe 1mm of clearance between the trim and edge of the wood. There is no overhang, however. Also, there is about a 1/8" gap between the trim and all of the 2x4 cross pieces, which I understand is "alright" as the tank is designed to put all it's weight in the corners.

However, would it be a good idea to cut a flat top out of plywood, so that the rim is 100% touching wood, and if cut a wee bit larger, there is more wood between the edge of the rim and edge of the wood? IE cut a flat top, have an extra 1/2" on all sides, but obviously still center the tank so the edges rest over the 4x4s?
How big is the tank? When I have made these stands I have not used a plywood top and I have instead just leveled out the top edges so that the aquarium frame is supported almost everywhere by both the 2X4's and the corner posts; in my opinion this looks better than a plywood top. However, if you have a large tank it might not be good to trust support only in the corners and it is probably better to use a plywood top.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #160
BS87
Planted Member

40 Breeder, so 36x18 footprint like your 65g.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #161
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah I think that I would either try to level out the top or put a plywood board on there.

With an 1/8" gap the plywood will probably bow too. What about taking that much off the top of each corner post?
Old 07-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #162
BS87
Planted Member

Oh, the stand is level. I'm not worried about leveling. I'm worried because there is little to no room between the edge of the trim and the side of the wood. IE i wanted it to be 1/4" wider on either side of the tank, but that extra wiggle room isn't there. The tank rests on the wood with no overhang, but I wanted a bit of room left on either side.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #163
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

When I have built these stands I left only a hair of extra width all the way around. I think it looks better with the trim nearly flush with the edges of the stand.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:41 PM   #164
BS87
Planted Member

That was my main concern. The trim is on the wood and supported, but in some areas certainly "flush". I still may consider the plywood top due to the 1/8" gap between the trim and 2x4s though.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:18 AM   #165
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I just wanted to drop in and give some thanks to hydrophyte for coming up with a really cool idea for a stand, and for sharing it with the rest of us. After seeing your idea, I knew I wanted something based off it for my aquarium stand.

Right now I just have a small 12 gallon Fluval Edge, but I my plan is to slowly piece together a 29 gallon rimless tank. I thought it would be cool if I could design it to handle my Edge for now, and then the 29 when I'm ready. I also wanted to be able to hide my stuff since I plan on running CO2 and need a place to put my test kits, fish food, ferts, and the rest of the crap that I've accumulated.

Here is what I came up with after many hours in sketchup for what I want in the end with the 29 gallon rimless. It's 25" tall, 32" long, and 14" deep (there will be a 1" lip with the 29 gallon):

In the mean time, all I had to do to adapt it for the edge was add a top, which was all of $9 worth of 1x3 cedar. Here is how it will will look with my Edge until I get the rest put together:

This is my progress as of tonight. The stain is Minwax Red Chestnut, and I painted the brackets black. I am planning on painting the screws black as well, although they look kind of cool, so now I'm not 100% on that. Here is a pic of it without the top, so you can see how I reinforced under it. With the Edge, the weight won't be supported the outside edges, so I needed more support underneath the top.

As for the top, it's simply 6 1x3's glued together such that it overlaps the stand by 1" on the sides and front:

Put together, it looks like this:

What I have left at this point is just to cut the lower shelf and finish it, and then to build the doors and sides. I haven't started that yet because I wanted to get the frame together first so I could get more precise measurements. Google sketchup worked great for building it virtuall first and making my actual material list, but for the tighter tolerances I wanted it in front of me first.

So far I love it!
AnotherHobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.