Paintball pressure regulator
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 07-23-2014, 05:39 PM   #1
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question

Paintball pressure regulator

Try to calculate cost to save up for DIY Paintball Co2 system.
Found at Walmart some paintball regulators. Looks more like a gauge than a regulator.

Would it work?
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2014, 05:58 PM   #2
pucksr
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

It would regulate pressure. The problem is that we generally attempt something in the 30psi range. That regulator looks to be aiming for the 300psi range. It wouldn't work.

However, at that price just get a regular regulator. A normal CO2 regulator runs $40. You can You can get a paintball adapter for $12. However, you can typically acquire a 20# tank for about $70...so maybe just do that instead of the paintball?
pucksr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #3
bigblueallday
Planted Member

I went with the aquatek mini paintball set up By the time it was all said and done everything cost me $128, not bad imo
bigblueallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:31 PM   #4
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucksr View Post
A normal CO2 regulator runs $40. You can You can get a paintball adapter for $12. However, you can typically acquire a 20# tank for about $70...so maybe just do that instead of the paintball?
I haven't seen any pressure regulators for $40. What I have seen are around $100. Paintball tank is about $25 though.

Here a autococker lpr suggested. Any thoughts on it?

What about this Argon CO2 Mig Tig Flow meter Regulator 1
Old 07-23-2014, 08:02 PM   #5
pucksr
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
I haven't seen any pressure regulators for $40. What I have seen are around $100. Paintball tank is about $25 though.

Here a autococker lpr suggested. Any thoughts on it?

What about this Argon CO2 Mig Tig Flow meter Regulator 1
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draft...7rEaAoXd8P8HAQ

Why are you looking at an autococker?
Also, that flowmeter regulator is rated in 1000x psi. It wouldn't work.

Regulators are very common devices. The type we use (1-100psi) are common in food and beverage(for soda and beer), industrial tool applications(for welding and similar), scuba diving, and our aquarium hobby. The type you need takes 1000 psi and reduces it to 1-100 psi. You can buy adjustable regulators. You can buy non-adjustable regulators(Milwaukee MA957). The advantage of the adjustable regulator is minor, but the cost increase is also minor.

You aren't going to re-invent the wheel or find a cheaper alternative regulator. Sometimes we can DIY stuff in this hobby because vendors decide to gouge hobbyists. Since these are common industrial parts sold in massive quantities, the gouging is almost non-existent.

The only truly "cheap" option you have is going to be something like this:
Amazon.com : U.P. Aqua Simple Regulator : Paintball Regulators : Pet Supplies Amazon.com : U.P. Aqua Simple Regulator : Paintball Regulators : Pet Supplies
The problem is that this is not a regulator. This is a "flow control valve". This is similar to many of the solutions you are proposing. It technically would work. The problem is that regulators are dynamic feedback systems. As the tank pressure changes, they maintain the same output pressure. If you have a constant output pressure, you can easily control the flow of gasses with a restrictive orifice(a needle valve). If the pressure is changing, then your flow restriction becomes an unreliable means of controlling how much gas is being released. This is why End-of-tank-dump(EOTD) occurs. As the tank pressure approaches the limit of the regulator to control the pressure, the regulator output fluctuates and we get a ton of volume CO2 through the needle valve. Similarly, as the tank pressure slowly decreases or even changes slightly because of temperature, you are going to alter your output flow.

In summary. You are not going to come up with a solution that costs less than $50($40 for regulator and $10 for needle valve). If you see something that looks way cheaper, it won't work. (i.e. You can buy a regulator for an air compressor for $5. The problem is that air compressor regulators cannot handle 800 psi inputs. They are designed for 150 psi max). Most of the "paintball" regulators aren't designed to be regulators, just restrictors for different operating pressures.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:28 PM   #6
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Why are you looking at an autococker?

Also, that flowmeter regulator is rated in 1000x psi. It wouldn't work.

As the tank pressure changes, they maintain the same output pressure. If you have a constant output pressure, you can easily control the flow of gasses with a restrictive orifice(a needle valve). If the pressure is changing, then your flow restriction becomes an unreliable means of controlling how much gas is being released. This is why End-of-tank-dump(EOTD) occurs.

You are not going to come up with a solution that costs less than $50($40 for regulator and $10 for needle valve).

Most of the "paintball" regulators aren't designed to be regulators, just restrictors for different operating pressures.
Very interesting read. Reminds of physics class

Well I googled regulator for 30psi and got autococke.

Thinking it is cheaper to keep dosing with excel and soda water. My main concern is that at times I go out of town for a week. Thus thinking of getting a fluval Co2 system to cover for when I am out of town.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:51 PM   #7
pucksr
Algae Grower

You could just do a DIY CO2 system.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:41 PM   #8
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
You could just do a DIY CO2 system.
Tried that! It stank up my small apartment before it started producing.
Old Yesterday, 12:57 PM   #9
pucksr
Algae Grower

That doesn't seem right. What stank?
You shouldn't have been able to smell anything!

Sent from my Moto X via Tapatalk
Old Today, 12:24 AM   #10
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
That doesn't seem right. What stank?
You shouldn't have been able to smell anything!
Had a yeast smell. Having a chemical sensitivity problem I can't deal with the smell.
Old Today, 12:28 AM   #11
pucksr
Algae Grower

That is fine...but it should have been airtight until the co2 diffuser. If you smelled it BEFORE it bubbled then you had a leak. The aquarium and bubble counter liquid should filter any smell.

Sent from my Moto X via Tapatalk
Old Today, 12:43 AM   #12
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Well I tried 5xs to get the DIY Co2 to work. Thus given up on it.

Going to does with Metricide diluted and Brightwell Aquatic FlorinMax to replace injected Co2.

For when out of town thinking of getting Fluval Co2. Perhaps later get an adaptor and hook it up to a paintball canister.