Satellite+ vs. t5 HO
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 11-06-2014, 01:37 AM   #1
JellOh
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Satellite+ vs. t5 HO

I'm looking into setting up a standard 75 gallon Dutch style tank, and I thought that it would be best to run my set up by all of you lovely people. Hopefully you can help me and keep me from turning it into a large ball of algae. It will be my first high tech tank with dry ferts, non-diy CO2, and all that jazz. I was thinking of either
a) 1 48-60" Current USA Satellite +
b) 2 48-60" Current USA Satellite +
c) 4-bulb T5 HO grow light

What do you guys think? Would it be okay to get the one Satellite and then add in another one later on if I find out that the one wasn't enough or if I wanted to see more growth?
Thanks in advance!
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2014, 03:01 AM   #2
Christophe
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I've been using a single Current USA Satellite+ on a 40 breeder. It was low-to-moderate lighting, worked well for my goals, roughly 30 par at substrate. A 75 is deeper, but same width. A single one I think is a bit short of good enough, but two would work nicely I think, good spread, and the overlap between them boosting things up well enough to grow most things. At the price of two of those, you've gotta weigh up against the price of the T5 & a few generations of bulb replacement, the spread concerns are about equal.
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2014, 03:18 AM   #3
Onyx165
Algae Grower

how deep is the tank?
Onyx165 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2014, 03:57 AM   #4
mattinmd
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Assuming common dimensions, 40b is roughly 16" deep, a 75 is roughly 21" deep.

I wouldn't use satelite+'s on a high-tech tank.

Look at the par data on their website:
http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-...ater-led-plus/

36 PAR at 12" (barely medium light)
28 PAR at 18" (low light)
21 PAR at 24" (low light)

I could see using them in low-tech tanks, but if you're doing high-tech these lights don't have the output.

As for the T5HO... now you're talking... although if the reflectors are really good that might be too much light..

An aquaticlife 4-bulb would be about 110 PAR at that depth.. that's "hard to manage" high... A catalina 4-bulb is around 80 PAR at that depth, still rather high but more manageable. A junky model might only get 40 PAR...

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368
mattinmd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2014, 07:05 PM   #5
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Minimum 6 bulb T5 on that 75g. And no that is not too much light. Pick the right bulbs instead of the all white stale look.
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2014, 07:46 PM   #6
mattinmd
Planted Tank Enthusiast

6 bulbs minimum.. on a good high efficiency fixture?

So 12-20 bulbs for a cheap fixture?
Old 11-06-2014, 08:22 PM   #7
gus6464
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmd View Post
6 bulbs minimum.. on a good high efficiency fixture?

So 12-20 bulbs for a cheap fixture?
6 bulbs with a high quality unit from ATI, TEK, Aqua Medic, etc. If it's a cheap Odyssea or the like unit I would wait and get a better unit. CoralVue is clearing out T5 units with german reflectors and programmed start ballasts for $100 and $150 right now. These are units with 6-8 bulbs.

There are a lot of good units out there that don't break the bank. A good example is hydroponic fixtures. They have great reflectors and are cheap. I had a hydrofarm 4 bulb T5 on a 60P. The light was 5in from the top of the tank. Could I get something like 150 PAR with all white 6500K bulbs? Sure. It sure looks like poo with those bulbs though. With the right bulbs I was at 60 PAR with great color and could grow anything including all kinds of red plants.

It's all about the bulb type and not the quantity of bulbs.

The main difference between an ATI or Giesemann T5 fixture vs the rest is not as much the reflector but the ballast. There are plenty of cheaper fixtures out there with great german aluminum reflectors. The difference is in the ballasts. ATI and higher end stuff has programmed start ballasts vs rapid start. Rapid start ballasts kill bulbs a lot quicker. But you can find cheap fixtures right now with programmed start ballasts.
gus6464 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2014, 09:03 PM   #8
mattinmd
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Fair enough.. using a lot of specialty spectrum bulbs will keep the PAR manageable.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:53 PM   #9
JellOh
Algae Grower

Wow! Thanks guys!

gus- I'll definitely check out those guys before settling on a fixture. I have a hydroponic T5HO hanging over my riparium right now and it works like a champ. How do you judge the reflector of a fixture? I saw a moderately priced unit that was 95% reflective, would this be considered high, medium, or low? What assortment of bulbs do you suggest/use yourself? What type of mix would be good? (50/50, 60/40, 70/30) Thank you SO much
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
urrent usa

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.