Bulb combination opinions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 07-19-2014, 08:15 PM   #1
gatorsmashed
Algae Grower

PTrader: (23/100%)

Bulb combination opinions

In the very near future I plan on buying an ATI 24" 4x24W Dimmable SunPower T5. I believe that somewhere on the forums I saw someone suggest getting two Giesemann Aqua Floras and two Giesemann Midday Suns. I was wondering if anyone else had an opinion on this. I was also considering getting one of each of the above and then maybe an Aquablue Plus and an Aqua Pink. Does anyone have an experience with a combination like this? This is my first time delving into multiple T5 combinations so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2014, 11:37 AM   #2
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Any closer than 24" from the sub and even/w injected CO2 you will have an algae farm on your hands unless this tank is full of 100% fast growing plants. Full as in you can't
see the back wall at all or if you look down from the top you can't see the bottom.
I use one True Lumen "Flora" and one Aquaticlife 650nm in my 2 x T5 fixture.
It is an algae farm because of lack of the above mentioned amount of plants. And using Excel instead of injected CO2. My bulbs are 12" from the sub.
So if you double that amount of bulbs @ 24" AND use injected CO2...you might not have an algae farm provided you have wall to wall plants that are fast growing.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:48 AM   #3
gatorsmashed
Algae Grower

PTrader: (23/100%)

I appreciate the comment but mainly I'm asking about the bulb combinations. I am going with this particular fixture in order to have the ability to dim the bulbs (which will be necessary.) I am curious about people's opinions on bulb combinations mainly as to how they come together in terms of color spectrum. I want a natural looking color that will highlight the red in plants while not looking unnatural.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:30 PM   #4
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

The bulb combination that I mentioned(I would use one 650nm, 2 True Lumen Flora and one True Lumen 460nm to get that same effect) hgreat natural color...except for the 650nm bulb. It gave my tank a slight redish tint. I no longer notice it but when I photoshop my pictures I do need to color correct them as they do look redish.
But not having a 4 bulb fixture I can but guestimate..that having 2x the Flora bulbs
and using the red/blue ones in the middle and the two Flora's on each end will dull that pinkish look since it would have two of the Flora.s instead of just one.
I get these from Doctors Foster & Smith's because of the prices they have.
I also suggested these bulbs for that reason...price compared to those G bulbs.
In the picture on the site the Flora bulb looks pink but has white light when lit.
It would take too long to do two of the Flora bulbs but I just took a picture of the Flora and the 650nm bulb that is there now and in the photoshop only added brightness to one of these and color corrected and added the same amount of brightness to the other. Like I said...now I don't notice any red when I view it.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=63338
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pi...ictureid=63346
But if you want, I'll change the 650nm out or another Flora that I have so you can see how natural the color of at bulb is in my tank. Far less glair than cheapo bulbs too.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:07 PM   #5
Hendy8888
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Check out Dantrasy's tank journal on here and see his bulb combo. 1 kz fiji purple , 2 giesemann midday, 1 giesemann Aqua flora.
Hendy8888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 02:22 PM   #6
Dantrasy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have the ATI 4x24w PowerModule dimmable, almost exacty the same as the SunPower dimmable.

From front to back they are ordered like this:

1. Korallen-Zucht Fiji Purple
2. Giesemann midday
3. Giesemann Aqua flora
4. Giesemann midday

I believe looking through purple first makes a difference. Red plants really pop. the purple doesn't do anything for the plants, it's there just for aesthetics.

I have the two Midday tubes come on first (for around 40min). The colour is a bit yellow/orange. I really like the look, it's like dusk. But it's bad for taking photos, so I've never posted a pic using these 2 tubes. When all 4 are on the colours is white with a hint of red.