Orlando area Freshwater?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Florida

Old 04-02-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
Katydid
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Orlando area Freshwater?

Moving to Clermont next week!!! (I love Clermont, Ahh Hills to run up and down).

I want to start a 55 gallon planted tank...

But having a terrible time, really bad time finding a store with supplies...
I want no really fancy plants, just some hardy stuff and something to grow on top...

And Looking rather desperately for some American Flag Fish. Seems I can get them shipped from Arizona and California, but frankly I think I should be able to find some in the state where they are native to, yes?

Never had a planted tank so this should be a new adventure...
Katydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Default Moving

Welcome to Florida and planted tanks!
Newer local site with a lot of the same members, most early posts are Florida related.
http://aquaticplantenthusiasts.com/f...splay.php?f=12
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #3
Katydid
Algae Grower

Many thanks, will be checking out that forum soon. Moving of course is such a hassle. But hopefully someone over there will have a source for the flag fish (Been thinking about checking out a few retention ponds here in Lake county....but....thats not usually my thing!)
And once I get settled I'm going to have a lot of plant questions....
Old 04-03-2009, 08:36 AM   #4
waterfaller1
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1

I just found a guy in Clermont that may be able to get them, and anything else you want. I can ask if it's ok to share his contact info with you. I found him looking for albino longfin bristle nose plecos. He has them, babies..and he is getting me a pair of Paradise fish for my new container pond. He told me he is going to have a website up soon.
I have seen Fl flagfish available on websites here in Fl too.
Florida Driftwood carries them, but it appears his website is down. I think he has a minimum purchase amount of six. www.floridadriftwood.com
This guy is real nice, and might be able to get them..his shipping in state is cheap.
http://www.flguppiesplus.com/

And this place sells Fl native fish as well..he lists darters, flagfish, least killifish..I have known of this place for years, for saltwater invertebrates like copepods.
http://www.aquaculturestore.com/fwverts.html
There are NO good LFS for fw fish in this area.
waterfaller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:44 AM   #5
Katydid
Algae Grower

How cool is that? (CLermont really is the place to be.)
Since this is a brand new tank, of course, i want many things...
I'll be trying to get it set up in April and hope to be ready for some fish by may.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:22 AM   #6
waterfaller1
Planted Tank Guru

I sent the first guy an e-mail asking if it's ok to share his contact info with you. Good luck with your move..and welcome!
Would also like to add, that the guy who started the website that wkndracer posted is an awesome person. If you want ferts or CO2 stuff, he is your man. He is in Gainesville, and is a sponsor here. His name is Orlando, and his website is www.greenleafaquariums.com.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:37 PM   #7
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfaller1 View Post
I sent the first guy an e-mail asking if it's ok to share his contact info with you. Good luck with your move..and welcome!
Would also like to add, that the guy who started the website that wkndracer posted is an awesome person. If you want ferts or CO2 stuff, he is your man. He is in Gainesville, and is a sponsor here. His name is Orlando, and his website is www.greenleafaquariums.com.
Yup! That's exactly why his new site was mentioned www.greenleafaquariums.com is a prominent listed sponsor on his new forum and enough info floating to connect the dots. Would also like to add most people posting here are the awesome type. Those answering posts wanting to do nothing more than help most of the time. In public these day's most if they don't 'know' you act as though they don't 'see' you. The forums are very different. But Orlando IMO is of the guru variety.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
Old 04-03-2009, 11:01 PM   #8
Katydid
Algae Grower

Ahhhh Orlando...He picked right up on me at the other site...telling me where I can go in orlando to scoop some flags out of the water....
Never really caught fish before, so going to check it out and wait for rain!
Old 04-06-2009, 12:56 AM   #9
Katydid
Algae Grower

Quote:

Waterfaller, I got a nice email from your clermont guy, he says he'll get me started once I get into town...

I cant wait. Currently the move is too stressful, so I am using aquarium planning as a stress reliever.....currently researching filters. should I go in tank or cannister...
Old 04-06-2009, 02:06 AM   #10
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

Canister
Old 04-06-2009, 06:38 AM   #11
waterfaller1
Planted Tank Guru

That is great. I meet him for the first time today, to pick up a pair of paradise fish, and two ABN's for my pond. I agree on canister, and go bigger than the recommended size.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:38 AM   #12
Katydid
Algae Grower

So does he have a LFS? Or how is he set up? He didnt make it clear.

Can't wait to see the Paradise fish in your pond!!!!

Cannister it is. Good thing I got a sign on bonus at work....
Old 04-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #13
waterfaller1
Planted Tank Guru

I think it's a private operation. He did say he will have a website up soon. He does not allow anyone to his private site, but will meet with you. He is meeting me near his work in Orlando, which is very near my home.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #14
Katydid
Algae Grower

Quote:
I think it's a private operation. He did say he will have a website up soon. He does not allow anyone to his private site, but will meet with you. He is meeting me near his work in Orlando, which is very near my home.
well, he'll get my business. Went to local petco today to get water tested, Salesguy didnt really speak english. (I know were in central Fla but still....) the Oscar there was swimming sideways and tilting a bit...so sad looking, dead bettas in the sad cups. and they were selling plants Covered in a variety of slimy algae. gosh so horrible! the only thing that looked good was the turtle tank. Almost made me want one. Almost.
I did see some really cute 5.5 gallon tanks though for 8 dollars. might have to plant one up for my bedroom and put some sort of minnows or something in that...
Old 04-07-2009, 07:36 PM   #15
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katydid View Post
well, he'll get my business. Went to local petco today to get water tested, Salesguy didnt really speak english. (I know were in central Fla but still....) the Oscar there was swimming sideways and tilting a bit...so sad looking, dead bettas in the sad cups. and they were selling plants Covered in a variety of slimy algae. gosh so horrible! the only thing that looked good was the turtle tank. Almost made me want one. Almost.
I did see some really cute 5.5 gallon tanks though for 8 dollars. might have to plant one up for my bedroom and put some sort of minnows or something in that...
Petco, Petsmart, Pet Supermarket, Walmarts with pet sections all equal fish abuse centers. No training requirements for attending employees. Some people care and others less.