Anyone ever used a sand called Starblast?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 03-05-2003, 01:19 PM   #1
ginnie5
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to ginnie5

Its black. DH uses it in his shop for sandblasting. He brought me some home yesterday to check. I have it sitting in a cup of water to see what it does to the water. So far there's no change in ph. It seems to be very clean too. When I put it in a cup and rinsed it it only took two rinsings to get rid of any dust. Probably wouldn't have taken those. It does stir up very easy but then it settles right back down. I want a black substrate in the 75g that is sitting in my van :P . I really like the way sand holds the plants but I don't like the way it shows up every piece of fish poop. So I think black will be a good compromise. The lfs can order me black sand for $20 a case(6 5lb bags). This from dh would be free though.
ginnie5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2003, 02:29 PM   #2
corvus
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Over at the Krib, I've read about using sandblasting sand, the grain size is supposed to be important, but I never read any particualr brand. Can you find out what kind of sand it is, silicate or otherwise?

If you can't, perhaps a test tank to se what it does to water parameters?

I really like the idea of black sand also, black substrate looks utra-cool!
corvus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2003, 02:49 PM   #3
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

Might be wise to test with a splash of muratic acid.
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2003, 03:22 PM   #4
ginnie5
Planted Member

dh thought it was in concrete cleaner and I've read that its in pool chemicals. But what chemicals exactly? We spent a long time looking at pool chemicals in kmart with no luck in finding anything that said muratic acid.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:10 PM   #5
Work In Progress
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to Work In Progress Send a message via MSN to Work In Progress

Muratic acid is a solution of like 30 something % hydrochloric acis.
Best bet is to hit the hardware store, to find it. I have seen it in 5 gallon containers, but not sure about smaller amounts. It can be used for cleaning tiles, etching concrete and balancing PH in swimming pools.
Old 03-05-2003, 10:54 PM   #6
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Muriatic acid can be used as both a concrete cleaner and be added to swimming pools. I remeber it being used as an algecide in swimming pools. It was added in the spring to clean them up.
Momotaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2003, 12:33 AM   #7
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

I suggest calling someone with a pool to try to borrow a cup. The stuff is wicked, in a warm garage the plastic bottle sweats and acid vapors can damage nearby materials. I had a gallon jug on a metal shelf in the garage and the stuff ate through the shelf. (remind myself to move that damn jug away from the car by summer)
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2003, 11:10 AM   #8
ginnie5
Planted Member

I had a small amount of it in a small bowl to check the ph. After a little over 24 hours the ph is so low that my kit won't even go there. Mine stops at 5. s was definitely lower than that. So I guess that is out. I have very soft water anyway, if my water was harder with a high ph this might work great. So I guess on Monday I'll call the lfs and get them to order 2 cases of black sand for me. Do you think that 12/ 5lb bags will be enough to give about an inch to an inch and a half? There's going to be kitty litter under it. I'm hooked on that stuff now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.