Water in NYC
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 03-25-2009, 02:17 AM   #1
smoq
local fisherman

PTrader: (37/100%)

Water in NYC

I have one question that I wanted to ask many times- as you may now water in NYC is very soft. My question is do you guys add something (if yes, what?) to increase hardness or you leave it without any problems? I personally didn't do anything but I heard people are adding crushed coral to their filter. Thanks for feedback.
smoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2009, 03:36 AM   #2
Qckwzrd
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Most of my fish like soft water so I leave it, you can add crushed coral to your filter or into a filter bag and add it directly to your tank (just hide the bag behind ornaments or plants). The crushed coral will also raise the ph.
Qckwzrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:13 PM   #3
bgzbgz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (12/100%)

Most plants like soft water, but a few do not. I usually try to raise the GH by a degree or two with GH booster. Then the water is still in the soft range, but should also have enough GH to avoid deficiencies. The best thing you can use to raise GH is GH booster, because its premixed to contain more or less the correct proportions of Calcium, Magnesium, and Potassium which are the main constituents of water hardness (GH).

Another thing to keep in mind is since we have very soft water you shouldnt add K2SO4, becasue the the K needs to be in (a not very strict) balance with Ca and Mg in order to avoid Ca/Mg deficiencies. This is especially true with high light/co2/ferts. You should be getting more than enough K from KNO3 and KH2PO4 if you are dosing EI.
bgzbgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:11 PM   #4
smoq
local fisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgzbgz View Post
Most plants like soft water, but a few do not. I usually try to raise the GH by a degree or two with GH booster. Then the water is still in the soft range, but should also have enough GH to avoid deficiencies. The best thing you can use to raise GH is GH booster, because its premixed to contain more or less the correct proportions of Calcium, Magnesium, and Potassium which are the main constituents of water hardness (GH).

Another thing to keep in mind is since we have very soft water you shouldnt add K2SO4, becasue the the K needs to be in (a not very strict) balance with Ca and Mg in order to avoid Ca/Mg deficiencies. This is especially true with high light/co2/ferts. You should be getting more than enough K from KNO3 and KH2PO4 if you are dosing EI.
I am planning to go the mineralized topsoil way, what would you suggest?
Old 03-25-2009, 09:49 PM   #5
Qckwzrd
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I did the mineralized topsoil and I'm having no problems.
Qckwzrd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
SleepySin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Strangely enough, the times that we've tested our tanks for water hardness, it's moderate/hard and we don't add anything at all that should effect that.

Marcin: Let me know how it goes with the mineralized topsoil approach
SleepySin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:18 PM   #7
smoq
local fisherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepySin View Post
Strangely enough, the times that we've tested our tanks for water hardness, it's moderate/hard and we don't add anything at all that should effect that.

Marcin: Let me know how it goes with the mineralized topsoil approach
Not well man, not well, I still don't have it and still don't have money to buy the kit with soil. I read about worm castings instead of soil, but I need more info on that. Funny thing is that in-line heater and mineralized soil are the only things I am missing to start this one. Well, I don't have rocks yet, but as soon as it gets warmer I am going to a trip somewhere upstate NY.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:47 AM   #8
SleepySin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Sorry to hear that. Worm castings can be bought by weight through gardening catalogs. One that we receive at our home is called "Gardens Alive!" and they sell castings.

I wish I could sell my castings for $.. haha
SleepySin is offline   Reply With Quote