Washing Kitty Litter
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 06-23-2004, 02:57 PM   #1
sailblue5
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Washing Kitty Litter

Hey, what is the best way of washing kitty litter? I have been trying to put it in a 5 gallon bucket and washing it till it runs clear, but I have washed it alot and it has yet to run clear, how much do you put in a 5 gallon bucket. Also is all of kitty litter good for plants, or could it be the stuff I am washing away. I would hate to take all this effort to wash it and it turn out to jsut be gravel in the end. I am using special kitty that I picked up at walmart, it comes in a red bag with a black and white picture of a cat on it. *sigh* any suggestions? Thanks

Michael
sailblue5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2004, 06:35 PM   #2
sailblue5
Algae Grower

Ok, I don't think I am able to wash this stuff at all, I am in an apartmaeant and it is jsut to difficult to was the kitty litter. Considering I would have to do 4 bags of this stuff, it jsut takes to much time. DO you think sifting out the smaller particles with this sifter thing I have, really a drainer for using in the kitchen but it works as a sifter. Then put the stuff in the tank and then put about half an inch of regular gravel on top of it? Do you think that would work keeping all the dust and stuff from fogging up my tank? Or should I jsut put down the money and buy some eco complete? I am thinking that using kitty litter is jsut not worth it. What do you guys think?

Michael
Old 06-23-2004, 07:56 PM   #3
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Washing kitty litter (the brand you mentioned) and Flourite has been a very similar experience for me. I think you don't need to wash it until it run glass clear. You want to flush out the very finest particles. What's left will sink to the bottom anyway. If you cap it with gravel, and make sure you add water VERRRRY SLOOOOWWWLLYY you shouldn't get a lot of clouding.

Four bags... 100 lbs... that IS a lot of stuff to wash! Have you made sure it does not affect water characteristics?
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 08:37 PM   #4
sailblue5
Algae Grower

yeah, I have checked, it jsut adds a bit of hardness to the water, but not that much. *sigh* I am not sure how I am going to clean all of this.

Michael