Eheim Pimps, ok... what about Fluval HOES!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 06-23-2004, 03:09 AM   #1
cich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to cich

Eheim Pimps, ok... what about Fluval HOES!

Well, like the topic says, there's the Eheim Pimp Club, very cool infact. But, what about us dudes with Fluvals? I figured, "well, we're less fortunate, so maybe instead of 'pimps', why not 'hoes'?"

Lemme know what you think, LOL.

--cich
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2004, 03:21 AM   #2
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

I am a Fluval canister hater. I have used many brands of canisters and Fluval ranks last on my list. I've used both old and new model and ended up slamming them into the backwall of my yard (flooded my living room 2x). I had never stocked so much canisters parts before until I tried Fluval. IMO, all other non famous brands could easily beat Fluval on durability and reliability. I admit that I don't take care or do the required maintenance on my canisters but all my other canisters are doing just fine. Even my Magnum can run with broken O ring and homemade gaskets without any leak.
Eheim Pimp #21 (2) 2028 and auto feeder
ninoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 03:29 AM   #3
cich
Wannabe Guru

I was laughing the entire time it took me to read your post, LOL! Yeah they are really.... ugh!!! The primer hasn't worked in YEARS (it's the MSF), it WOULD have flooded me if I wasn't there at the right time to stop the leak, the waterflow bypasses the foam, the outlet is just stupid (replaced it with plumming part), and the list just goes on.

Good job on the Eheims As SOON as I get the money, I'm upgrading.

--cich
Old 06-23-2004, 04:03 AM   #4
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

IMO, Fluval canisters are not a cheap "hoes". They are high maintenance "hoes" if I add up the cost of the parts and carpet cleaning. I know some Fluval users may jump me on my post but I just can't figure out how I could have such bad lucks with them twice. Many fishkeepers value a filter by gph/dollar and it's true that Hagen is on top of it. But canister filters are not something you want to take risk on especially if you're married. You may lose your hobby permit I also can't afford to use Eheim for all my tanks but there are many other cheap "hoes" out there
Eheim Pimp #21 (2) 2028 and auto feeder
ninoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 04:10 AM   #5
cich
Wannabe Guru

Well put. So much work that I might as well just filter the water by means of water changes! heh...

--cich
Old 06-23-2004, 08:04 AM   #6
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Heh.. I run a Flaval 404 MSF myself... the self priming feature hasnt worked in 2 years.. the hoses are crap so I now only have 12" of hose to connect from the canister to my UV and the CO2 reactor.. everything else is standard 5/8" hose.

I have shattered one of hte locking clamps, but Hagen sent me a replacement in 2 days after I called them. Free replacement.

Aside from the irritation from the above, the canister runs really well, holds a decent amount of media and I've never had much trouble with it in any other regard. I much prefer this to my Marineland Magnum 350 Pro.. Don't even get me started on that beast (I am currently converting it to a hang on Micron filter for vacuming my sand when needed)
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 01:30 PM   #7
turbomkt
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to turbomkt Send a message via MSN to turbomkt Send a message via Yahoo to turbomkt

Hi...My name is Mike. And I'm here to admit that I've fallen prey to two Fluvals. The first was the 303 that came with my hand-me-down tank that never got set up. Instead it was set up on my new 50g corner tank. But I didn't like the way it sealed (Or did it?).

So I upgraded to the 304. It looked so Niiiiice compared to the 303. And the first time was good. After that, if the O-ring was more than 6 months old it would not seal. Period. And if the power went out, it became an incredible sucking, flooding beast. Fluval (Hagen) says to send it back for free repair or replacement. It's sitting in a box waiting to go.

I think I've kicked the habit. My 50 now has another brand pump running on it. We'll see what I do with the 304 when it comes back...
turbomkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 01:32 PM   #8
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

I've got two Fluvals - a 203 and a 403 (old style, no priming feature) and both are very reliable. never broke a thing. I've had them for 12 years and 7 years, respectively. My only complaint is how difficult it is to change the media without a priming pump. I learned a trick, though, that has made it tolerable. Just fill the canister with water, connect the hoses, plug it in, tilt the canister on its side to submerge the impeller and it will start to draw a suction. A few minutes later, all the air is purged out and you can set it upright.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:05 PM   #9
Jesse
Algae Grower

I run two fluvals, a 303 and a 404 and never had any real problems... Knock on wood... My 303 is over 10 years old and takes in a little air when it runs. I keep it in a 5 gallon bucket just in case. I am qiute happy with my 404. I like it for my biweekly water changes, using both the intake and output as a dual siphon makes water removal go fast!

If I had to replace my canister, I'd probably go with an Eheim to see what all the fuss is about. I see a lot of praise for Eheim around here. Somehow, I don't thing the "Fluval Dawg Club" will attract many people. Sup, G...

Jesse
20g,UGF,1.0wpg,pH 7.2,no ferts
-java moss on wood, rock and 3" pot
-separation/quarantine/hospital tank
10g,Fluval 303,DIY co2,3.0wpg,pH 6.4-6.6,KH 5-6,no ferts
-Spiral Val,Crypt wendtii,Dwarf Red Lily,Aponogeton crispus,Red Ludwigia,
Cardamine lyrata,Lobelia cardinalis,Limnophila aquatica
-1 SAE,4 Amano Shrimp
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 07:38 PM   #10
jart
Wannabe Guru

damn it, cich! as soon as my hydor heater arrived (I think it must be held up in customs), i was actually going to make a post in the hopes of creating a "hydor 'ho" club. the creative moment has been uncerimoniously stripped from my grasp by your post! d'oh!!!
jart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:17 PM   #11
cich
Wannabe Guru

LOL! Sorry... Well at least it's not official, but just a rant-post

--cich
Old 06-24-2004, 08:54 AM   #12
putty
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Never had a problem with my 404. My XP 3 keeps spitting bubbles though.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:30 AM   #13
George Willms
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

I had a fluval 404 on my 45 gallon tank at one point. Bought it brand new and couldn't wait to replace it with a pro II. I hated cleaning out that filter, it took forever to restart it. I worked with many of the older fluvals too, can't say I ever much cared for them.
Ehfipimp extraordinaire!
Eheim Pimp Club Recruiter, Saergant at Arms, and Enforcer.

29 and 45 gallon. 2026, 2028
My 29 gallon tank
George Willms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 04:15 PM   #14
oldfarmhouse
Planted Member

From what I read about Fluvals. The club should be called Fluval WOES!!!
Member "Eheim Pimp Club" #35 30G High....65w Coralife...
Eheim 2224 Pro...100% Eco-Complete....Ebo-150w
oldfarmhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 05:58 PM   #15
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

I just cleaned the Fluval 303 and (again) considered leaving it on the street to see if anyone would pick it up.

It is hard to prime. Finally I set it in a bucket and let the water flow through the canister and out the outlet valve into the bucket to get the air out. then I connected the outlet line and turned it on.

It sounded pretty bad but at least it was moving water. Tried turning it over -- but one time a hose popped free when I did that so I hate to do that. Tried rocking it -- but one time I cut my knuckle on the lower tank edge when I did that so I hate to do that. The next day it is silent, so whatever air was there worked it's way out. So, it is good for another 3 months or so.

One of these days I'm going to set up the wet/dry I picked with the last used tank I got, then I'll shuffle the Eheims so I can retire the Fluval.
59G thickly planted tanks, rummey nose tetras, kuhlies
300G goldfish pond outside
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote