LFS New York City update... BETA 1.0 - Page 148
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 05-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #2206
HAK
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Uh, most true gobies are not brackish, at all. Also, strong current is actually beneficial to a planted tank...the more flow and current actually improves plant growth and keeps water conditions optimal for many varieties of plants. I am not talking rapids here... Also, gudgeons ain't gobies, just like iridescent sharks are not sharks...
HAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #2207
inka4041
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Don't forget that stiphs and rhinogobius looove to dig, and really don't want to live in pressurized co2 tanks. It's not the flow that's important to them, as much as it's the o2 levels.
inka4041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #2208
HAK
Algae Grower

True about digging, my duospilus in my heavily planted mini m does not dig too much, and in the established root system its not so bad. I also don't overkill on the co2 because shrimp don't like it either, which are an integral player in most planted environments.

Your 90G hillstream is very cool, I have a much smaller version (12x12x12) open cube of that which I am looking to fill with strictly yamaya stone, hornwood and java ferns and river sand. Are you looking to part ways with any residents in that tank? Particularly the zosterophorum...my sicyop's climbed out and died after spawning post water change.
HAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:53 AM   #2209
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Took the train out to the LES today in this gorgeous weather.

Pacific had:
Celebes rainbows $5 3/$10
Red indian badis $4 3/$8
Black emperor tetras $5 3/$10
Pygmy gouramies $4 3/$8

Win had some of the same stuff but he had some narrow leaf and windelov java fern. I picked up some of the ferns and some of his crypts as well.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:18 AM   #2210
Linsanity
Planted Member

Does Win have otto for less than $2 each? The 3 I got from FT all died and I think it had to do with how them tried to get them in the bag...
Linsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:37 AM   #2211
jellie
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

Dunno about Win's otos, last time I was there, they looked terrible. No fins, no tails. T_T

I bought some really healthy and friendly ones from 123 Aquarium around the corner not long ago. 2$/ea
Old 05-13-2012, 03:48 AM   #2212
Linsanity
Planted Member

that sounds bad... I usually hear good things about win's fish I guess it depends on each batch they get.
Linsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:00 AM   #2213
inka4041
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAK View Post
True about digging, my duospilus in my heavily planted mini m does not dig too much, and in the established root system its not so bad. I also don't overkill on the co2 because shrimp don't like it either, which are an integral player in most planted environments.

Your 90G hillstream is very cool, I have a much smaller version (12x12x12) open cube of that which I am looking to fill with strictly yamaya stone, hornwood and java ferns and river sand. Are you looking to part ways with any residents in that tank? Particularly the zosterophorum...my sicyop's climbed out and died after spawning post water change.
Thanks for the kind words. The zosterophorum have been with me since the first iteration of this setup, 3 tanks and about that many years ago. They're definitely not for sale, but Frank gets them in from time to time. He's where I got mine.
inka4041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:33 AM   #2214
Valyrian
Algae Grower

Anyone know where I could find some good koi or marbled (with white/peach, not the black and white ones) angels?
Valyrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #2215
ryu1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (52/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyrian View Post
Anyone know where I could find some good koi or marbled (with white/peach, not the black and white ones) angels?
I know Kissena Aquarium sells Japanese Koi. Not my cup of fish, so I didn't really look at them. Nice people there.
ryu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #2216
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linsanity View Post
Does Win have otto for less than $2 each? The 3 I got from FT all died and I think it had to do with how them tried to get them in the bag...
Depending on who you get at FT, some of the guys are pretty rough and short on patience. My last bee purchase had him yanking out the plastic plants sending all the shrimp scurrying all over the place. two of the three died that week. The one survivor going on 7 months now

Win breeds angels and i usually see several varieties there. Not sure what constitutes as a good Koi but Win sells small 4-5" ones.

Northern aquarium sells larger ones.

Kissena aquarium sells ones that they say are imported from a japan breeder.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #2217
yellowsno
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
Depending on who you get at FT, some of the guys are pretty rough and short on patience. My last bee purchase had him yanking out the plastic plants sending all the shrimp scurrying all over the place. two of the three died that week. The one survivor going on 7 months now

Win breeds angels and i usually see several varieties there. Not sure what constitutes as a good Koi but Win sells small 4-5" ones.

Northern aquarium sells larger ones.

Kissena aquarium sells ones that they say are imported from a japan breeder.

Agreed about ft brought home 100 cardinals 75 lived the first day

Now 50 left but the 50 are extremely healthy
yellowsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #2218
jingleberry
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Anyone seen Corydoras Habrosus in any of the LFS in Manhattan?
Old 05-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #2219
Vic
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyrian View Post
If you have a pond for your koi, I can give you mine because I think its unrealistic for my family to even build a pond. My dad might get pissed at me, but its for the good of the fish.
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:03 PM   #2220
koldsoup
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (19/100%)

It's odd. I haven't been to Fishtown recently but when I did, the stock I brought home were all great, especially otos. Still kicking after a year.