LFS New York City update... BETA 1.0 - Page 139
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 04-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #2071
vincenz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (55/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
If you guys really want them, i could pick some up next week while i make my afternoon rounds to win, usually around 3:30pm. I usually get home around 7 so you guys can pickup from Douglaston/little neck...

Happy to help you guys out.
That'd be nice, does Win have them in stock frequently? I wish I could get them now, but I'm still waiting for my new tank to come in another 5-6 weeks, and then I'd have to cycle it.

There are a lot of people from the Little Neck/Douglaston area on these forums it seems, that's pretty convenient!
vincenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #2072
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (173/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefisherman View Post
dude i live on alameda! :O

- thefisherman
I commute by q12 on Northern blvd across from St Anastasia. What a small world indeed. I've been prepping for some major house renovations so my LFS treks are on haitus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post
That'd be nice, does Win have them in stock frequently? I wish I could get them now, but I'm still waiting for my new tank to come in another 5-6 weeks, and then I'd have to cycle it.

There are a lot of people from the Little Neck/Douglaston area on these forums it seems, that's pretty convenient!
I have seen two new shipments in the past two months, numbers each in the hundreds. The current batch has noticibly thinned out. He is the only LFS that currently has the micro version. They sell well so I assume think he would carry them so long as they are available through his wholesaler... You know how seasonal and unpredictable livestock sourcing is in this business...

Regarding my recent Cardinal purchase from WIN. They live in my planted 20g and have grown significantly in size. i don't think i have fed them flake food more than 8 times since acquisition and have grown very full bodied and are noticibly longer. He certainly does have quality fish there.
acitydweller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #2073
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

Went to Hicksville to pickup some building materials so i figured i'd make a "Fish" trip out of it...

▼ Tropical Showcase : 372 West Old Country Road, Hicksville, NY 11801

They must have over a hundred tanks easily... Their center piece is a 1000 gallon monster show tank. it wasnt necessarily decorated in any memorable way but it was interesting to see your garden variety tropical fish swim around in a natural setting.

PROs - exotic livestock and premium aquarium accessories stocked. Its one of the largest planted sections of the LFS i've seen....

Cons - The owners, they aren't exactly nice or even friendly. A dog belonging to the female owner barked at us, startling my 2 yr old son. She looked at us and didnt even care to apologise or acknowledge it. The young man working there was eager to assist and went beyond to locate the mosses they had in stock. When he asked the same woman where it was, she almost couldnt be bothered.

While i understand people have bad days, being outwardly so with customers hurts business. I was there looking for a replacement lamp for my nano and it really did cost them an eheim lamp and plants sale if i'm honest. I did pickup some willow moss considering the lengths the boy went to fetch it.

- The location is definitely out of the way, unless you either live out there, or heading to checkers for a burger and shake it is a trip and a half.

Its definitely worth visiting if you've never been. In relation to the LFS, its better than Fishtown superficially.

Update: I'm home now and noticed that about 1/3 of the moss is dead, just a black string... guess its better than all of it dead.

▼ Pet Supplies Plus: 1137 Old Country Road # 1 Westbury, NY 11590

Basically the same as petco. They had some interesting dwarf rainbow fish.

▼ Pet warehouse in Carle Place received a new shipment today. i was there for the unloading but couldn't stay.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #2074
Wicket_lfe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wicket_lfe

Did you stop at the place on Old Country Road between tropical showcase and pet warehouse? I think its across from the Source. Mmmm, Nathans. Also my Grandparents live out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
Went to Hicksville to pickup some building materials so i figured i'd make a "Fish" trip out of it...

stopped by Tropical Showcase : 372 West Old Country Road, Hicksville, NY 11801

They must have over a hundred tanks easily... Their center piece is a 1000 gallon monster show tank. it wasnt necessarily decorated in any memorable way but it was interesting to see your garden variety tropical fish swim around in a natural setting.

PROs - exotic livestock and premium aquarium accessories stocked. Its one of the largest planted sections of the LFS i've seen....

Cons - The owners arent exactly nice or even friendly. A dog belonging to the female owner barked at us and startled by 2 yr old son. She looked at us and didnt even care to apologise or acknowledge it. The young man working there was eager to assist and went beyond to locate the mosses they had in stock. When he asked the same woman where it was, she almost couldnt be bothered. While i understand some people have a bad day, i think it really hurts business being outwardly so with customers. To be honest, i was there looking for a replacement lamp for my nano and it really did cost them a lamp and plant sale. I did manage to pickup some willow moss considering the lengths the boy went to help.

The location is definitely out of the way, unless you either live out there, or heading to checkers for a burger and shake.

Its definitely worth visiting if you've never been. In relation to the LFS, its better than Fishtown on the surface.

I'm home now and noticed that about 1/3 of the moss is dead, just a black string... guess its better than all of it dead.

Pet warehouse in Carle Place received a new shipment today. i was there for the unloading but couldn't stay.
Wicket_lfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #2075
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

Aquarium village, no but they were open as i drove past. I probably should have gone there to check for the nano tank light.. hmmm
Old 04-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #2076
vincenz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (55/100%)

Well, I know where I'm stopping by soon. I've wanted to check out Tropical Showcase, but online reviews say the same thing about the proprietors there. I guess that woman hasn't gotten any nicer.

New shipment at PW for plants or fish?

and wicket, are you talking about Aquarium Village? They have a lot of saltwater stock, not much for FW.
vincenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #2077
Wicket_lfe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wicket_lfe

I generally ignore the employees/owners at tropical showcase. There usually isn't anything I want from them anyway.

Yeah the website for that place def seem mostly marine, but figured its on the way.

I still want Nathans.
Wicket_lfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #2078
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenz View Post
Well, I know where I'm stopping by soon. I've wanted to check out Tropical Showcase, but online reviews say the same thing about the proprietors there. I guess that woman hasn't gotten any nicer.

New shipment at PW for plants or fish?
Its clear they put lots of investment in livestock but do little to make the tanks presentable. Yeah, i saw the reviews on google but went to see for myself.

PW shipment for both plants and fish... they cleared 3 to 4 plant tanks just for the new stock but im guessing its nothing new from what they already carry. I did notice they had some beautiful golden tetras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket_lfe View Post
I still want Nathans.
Don't forget the lemonade, fries and those red pitchforks

I dont know if its still there but i used to stay for hours playing video games in the arcade.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #2079
Vic
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

went to pacific aquarium today, they had

threadfin rainbowfish $7 or 3 for $14

tiger sand loach $10 or 3 for $20

blue neon rasbora $5 or 3 for $10

Indian neon badis $5 or 3 for $10

Melini corydoras $5 or 3 for $10
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:05 AM   #2080
VivaDaWolf
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Oh man do you remember the name of one of the cories, I stopped by and saw but forgot the name. Maybe started with a D? On the right hand side tanks, next to the threadfins.

V Yes delphax was it! Thank you!
VivaDaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:26 AM   #2081
Vic
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaDaWolf View Post
Oh man do you remember the name of one of the cories, I stopped by and saw but forgot the name. Maybe started with a D? On the right hand side tanks, next to the threadfins.
I do not remember the exact name, but to the best of my knowledge, it was either Corydoras delphax or Corydoras davidsandsi
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:01 AM   #2082
marcelishpak
Algae Grower

Has anybody seen any Rummy nose tetras lately at any lfs, Thanks.?
marcelishpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:02 AM   #2083
Doc7
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

In clifton NJ Absolutely Fish had 30-40 rummies last weekend

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
New Jersey? Nearby State? Join the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club!! Meetups, Swaps, Local Members to discuss your tank, issues, and accomplishments!
NJAGC Member since 11/2011
Doc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #2084
Mr. Limpet
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc7 View Post
In clifton NJ Absolutely Fish had 30-40 rummies last weekend

Did they have any $50 apisto pairs?
Mr. Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #2085
Doc7
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Yes.... Quite a specific question lol

New Jersey? Nearby State? Join the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club!! Meetups, Swaps, Local Members to discuss your tank, issues, and accomplishments!
NJAGC Member since 11/2011
Doc7 is offline   Reply With Quote