LFS New York City update... BETA 1.0 - Page 13
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 10-03-2009, 04:58 AM   #181
Lnb
At 36,000'

PTrader: (19/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurosuto View Post
man i dont see anything exotic...been going to these LFSs in chinatown for 7 years already. sad thing to see no good LFS around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by max chavez View Post
After seeing the same fish at Pacific for the last 4 weeks, I asked what was up. They said the typhoon/tsunami madness meant that nothing is coming in from the pacific.

i proceeded to new world, looked at their 5.99 amano shrimp and 49.99 pairs of apistos. One of the pairs of apistos, was in a tank with a bunch of large tetras, being slowly, inevitably nipped/stressed to death. why would you let your 50 dollar fish be killed by your 3 dollar fish? anybody?

just another day being disgusted/dissappointed by the new york options. I guess I'll just get over being nervous about having things shipped to me.
Unfortunately, I have totally given up on LFS. I buy all of my livestock through the internet. You just need to find the really reliable well know people in the trade who import and sell fish. Shipping at times can be expensive but you get what you pay for. This is for folks are serious about the hobby. Better a tank with a few high quality rare fish than a tank of run of the mill.

Experienced importers who sell and ship all the time know how to do it. Shipping for them is no big deal. I've only had one major screw up and that was the fault of the USPS.

I'm not knocking the casual fish keeper. Most will go through different stages from simple to fancy to simple or somewhere in between but if you're looking for something really special the NYC LFS is not the place to find it in.

Hey, I'm looking for Amano's too!!

Off topic ............. East Coast Cichlids is having their big fall auction on Oct 10 in Wallington NJ. They have a nice variety of stuff.

Eheim #293 ~ 2 x 2217 ~ 1 X 2215 *** Filstar #138 ~ XP 1 x 2

Last edited by Lnb; 10-03-2009 at 02:05 PM..
Lnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2009, 05:32 AM   #182
leviathan0
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

Well, it depends on who you are. Even a serious aquarist can be interested in run of the mill fish. But it is pretty depressing how our local stores have degenerated.. there was a time when I could go to Pacific and see Sawbwas and CPDs, go to Win and see Stiphodons and Vampire Shrimp, head up to New World and see Candystripe Gobies, or get Goo Obos from World Class, and so on.

On that note though.. anyone ever thought about starting some sort of group-order group? I've occasionally found myself wanting to buy something off the net, but just not enough to justify shipping.
leviathan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:43 PM   #183
Lnb
At 36,000'

PTrader: (19/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leviathan0 View Post
Well, it depends on who you are. Even a serious aquarist can be interested in run of the mill fish. But it is pretty depressing how our local stores have degenerated.. there was a time when I could go to Pacific and see Sawbwas and CPDs, go to Win and see Stiphodons and Vampire Shrimp, head up to New World and see Candystripe Gobies, or get Goo Obos from World Class, and so on.

On that note though.. anyone ever thought about starting some sort of group-order group? I've occasionally found myself wanting to buy something off the net, but just not enough to justify shipping.
Yes, I agree with you. A tank of "run of the mill" fish can be very beautiful but then we get bored and want something more challenging. I think it is the lack of choice in LFS is indeed depressing and it is at that point that we need to order off the net.

I guess I missed those days. Too bad for me, I would have loved it but I moved out to the burbs in 84. I use to love wandering around Manhattan but then again I didn't have any room for a tank nor the interest at the time.

Group order from ?

Eheim #293 ~ 2 x 2217 ~ 1 X 2215 *** Filstar #138 ~ XP 1 x 2
Lnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:36 PM   #184
kurosuto
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

group order sounds good to me. buyin 2-3 fish and paying express seems outrageous but with group order, it is a lot more reasonable.
kurosuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:43 PM   #185
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC

I suggest that a separate thread for group order requests be created to act as a place to arrange for NYC group orders. This thread is getting a little crazy.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #186
leviathan0
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's how it works frosty, every couple of posts, this thread begins to derail into something different!
Old 10-09-2009, 02:02 PM   #187
Wicket_lfe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wicket_lfe

I cut class on 23rd and lex and walked down to the petco at union square. Some interesting stuff, but lot of dead stuff. kinda sad. The ghost shrimp are all dead, almost cooked. The Shrimp tank had some live Bamboo shrimp, but 2 large dead shrimp, forget what they're called but also filter feeders. It was a nice selection of stuff, just wish so many werent dead. They do have Riccia though, that was a nice surprise, and a decent supply of amanos. I'll go back after i add the crushed coral I got to balance the ph a lil. (Thanks Frosty on that one)

PS, they have no idea what they are selling (employees), I just started to google Fish names on my phone to figure out some of the ones i was unfamiliar with. Why do Corys costs so much?! Or am I just cheap? lol
Wicket_lfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:59 PM   #188
ecotanker
Algae Grower

PTrader: (13/100%)
Default freshwater puffer at union square

fyi: petco at union square have some freshwater dwarf puffers on sale.
ecotanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:58 AM   #189
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

Petco union square has (had?) pygmy cories for 99 cents. I got six. I think there were a couple left. They're in the nano tank with the shrimp and CPD (galaxy rasbora).
Old 11-05-2009, 01:44 PM   #190
Wicket_lfe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wicket_lfe

man, i might have to stop by and get some pygmy cories if there are anymore.

Anyone ever go to Aqua Star? Its on Mulberry. Its a very small place, with a variety of things. The pricing is pretty simple, small stuff is $2, larger/special fish are $6. Its not a die hard rule, but a general guideline. Everything is kinda thrown into a tank together, but all the fish actually seem pretty happy and healthy. Not sure how the prices are, i kinda just pay based on convenience(IE me already being there) as long as its not ridiculous. Grabbed some Amano's for $3 and a "Flying Fox" for $2. I'm pretty sure its a SAE so I bought it.

It was kinda late since Win (or is it New Pacific thats on Mott? I get the names confused) closes at 6, so I walked on over to Aqua Star, which closes at 8. I usually check it out just to see what they have.

I hope to head out to Centereach soon and check up on their stock. Havent gone in so long that i forgot the name of the place, Tropical Isle maybe? Anyway, I love that place and will keep you guys posted. My parents are also pretty close to Country Critters on Rte 112, so I'll check that out, although last time i wasnt very impressed. They do have a "Nano" section though. My uncle gave them a giant black and yellow SW fish, if you walk it you may still see it.

Last edited by Wicket_lfe; 11-05-2009 at 05:34 PM..
Wicket_lfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:26 PM   #191
bklyndrvr
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/95%)

Ohh man.. I wish I could get over to unionsquare for some of those pygmys
bklyndrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:32 PM   #192
leviathan0
Planted Tank Enthusiast

And here I thought Aqua Star closed down months ago.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #193
splynch
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I was talking to the main fish guy at Petco Union Square a few days ago, and he said that he expects that they will start getting in a larger variety of plants, as Petco corporate just started activated sku's for a lot of plants. Riccia and Water sprite were both named as things that should be readily available starting either this week, or in the next couple of weeks.

take this for what you want...
splynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:13 PM   #194
leviathan0
Planted Tank Enthusiast

They've already had Riccia and Watersprite for awhile now (couple of months?), I wonder what new plants they're getting in. It is nice to see Petco expand their stock the last few months, it's nothing great, but at least it's an improvement.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:26 PM   #195
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

Leviathan, I think the Union Square petco has the best fish selection I've ever seen at a petco. They also have a decent assortment of corals and SW inverts and fish (though not always in the best health). Few Petcos have a SW invert tank like our Petco does.

Wicket, I've never been to Tropical Isle or Country Critters, but I've heard nothing but good things about both. While you're headed out east, stop at Tropical Showcase in Hicksville -- they usually have a decent plant selection.