LFS New York City update... BETA 1.0 - Page 12
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 09-28-2009, 10:46 PM   #166
eva321
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurosuto View Post
i understand. bought 3 platys from petland a month ago. within 3 days, 40 of my guppie juvies died. then all of my 10 adults had some fish rot or something. then they all died. then in the middle of the meds regime, half of my babies also died. now i got less than 10 guppies left from the close to hundred that i had for 7 months.
That's terrible. I guess we have to learn the hard way about the importance of quarantine tanks. I haven't seen any more sick fish in my tank in about five or six days now... wonder if it's safe to try buying fish again. Probably not just yet. But I really need a few more algae eaters in there!

Old 09-30-2009, 03:40 AM   #167
kurosuto
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

man get otos. those things dont stop working and extremely hardy! you should be cautious...its a sad thing when fish/invertz/plants die on you...
kurosuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:41 AM   #168
kurosuto
Planted Tank Obsessed

o0o btw. checked petco @ union today. They got these "blackberry" shrimps...there were blue ones and black ones. pretty neat. the name sounds fishy so was skeptical but its 4 bucks a piece. imagine black tiger with blk eyes...

bamboo shrimps were in as well.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:28 PM   #169
eva321
Algae Grower

thanks. i have seven otos in the tank already (20 gallon long), and they don't eat every kind of algae there is -- in fact, all i can be sure they eat are diatoms. bba and hair algae they don't touch. maybe pacific has SAE's... i should give them a call!
Old 09-30-2009, 04:20 PM   #170
Guns286
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

You guys seem up on all the LFS's in the NY area. I live in southern Westchester. I have a good LFS (Exotic Pets, in Yonkers). A kid named Jamie usually can get me whatever I want. The PetCo and Pet Smart around here suck when it comes to out of the ordinary stuff. But, it seems that the stores in NYC get hard to find, exotic inventories alot more the mine does. What would be the best place to check for that kind of stuff? Chinatown? Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Guns286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:38 PM   #171
eva321
Algae Grower

None of the stores in NYC compare to Aquatropics in Gainesville! But I'd try Pacific first -- and you might as well call ahead to ask about anything special you're after.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:29 AM   #172
kurosuto
Planted Tank Obsessed

man i dont see anything exotic...been going to these LFSs in chinatown for 7 years already. sad thing to see no good LFS around.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #173
Guns286
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

I'm not looking for anything specific. Sometime I just like to take a walk around my LFS and see if they have anything that looks cool, and yes, I do have a life
But, even the kid who I deal with at the LFS says HE goes to Chinatown to get the more "exotic" stuff that he's looking for. He actually did convince he's cheap ass boss to stock some stuff from down there, but I thought about going to look for myself.
Guns286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:41 AM   #174
max chavez
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)

After seeing the same fish at Pacific for the last 4 weeks, I asked what was up. They said the typhoon/tsunami madness meant that nothing is coming in from the pacific.

i proceeded to new world, looked at their 5.99 amano shrimp and 49.99 pairs of apistos. One of the pairs of apistos, was in a tank with a bunch of large tetras, being slowly, inevitably nipped/stressed to death. why would you let your 50 dollar fish be killed by your 3 dollar fish? anybody?

just another day being disgusted/dissappointed by the new york options. I guess I'll just get over being nervous about having things shipped to me.
max chavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:36 AM   #175
leviathan0
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

Pacific and New World = overpriced and overrated.

It is strange though how it seems like all the NYC stores have boring stock these days.. what happened to all the gobies, shrimp and dwarf rasboras?

At least there's always Franksaquarium I guess.
leviathan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:03 AM   #176
kurosuto
Planted Tank Obsessed

wheres that (franksaquarium)? i mean i heard about some LFS up in queens but hell, seems kinda far. i never knew new world sold apistos..i think petco had some amanos for 6 bucks. wish we had a local breeder...
Old 10-02-2009, 06:23 AM   #177
leviathan0
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

Frank is located in LI, but he works at the NY Aquarium, so you can do pickups from him there.

And Petco sells Amanos for 2-something ($2.79?).. I get mine there these days since Win doesn't seem to sell them anymore. I really miss the days when Win sold a bunch of different shrimp.
leviathan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:43 PM   #178
dantra
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)

Quote:
wheres that (franksaquarium)?
Here you go.
dantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 04:36 PM   #179
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC

Quote:
wheres that (franksaquarium)? i mean i heard about some LFS up in queens but hell, seems kinda far. i never knew new world sold apistos..i think petco had some amanos for 6 bucks. wish we had a local breeder...
The Queens LFS you're talking about is probably Fishtown USA in Flushing. If you have a car, it's worth the drive.

New world's apistos are always overpriced and its rare that they have more than 1 or 2 at a time (I'm not talking species, Im talking actual fish). If you're in NYC, buying apistos from a trusted site online is probably the way to go.

I don't know anyone who breeds amanos, given that they require saltwater to hatch and then a gradual acclimation to freshwater.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:37 AM   #180
Qckwzrd
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Ijust happen to be uptown and went to Petqua which is located near 103rd street and they only had a couple of platies and some male endlers and a couple bettas and that was it! Truly a waist of time. Then I strolled along the west side and hit a place called Uptown Birds. They had a few discus, some shrimp, ect. Nothing exotic but a nice looking place. They also had saltwater. They did have a beautiful selection of birds and reptiles (uromastyx, australian water dragons, dart frogs, ect.) I haven't been to Pacific, Wins or New World but I guess I'm not missing anything :/
Qckwzrd is online now   Reply With Quote