Is GE Silicone bad??
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 06-22-2004, 07:30 PM   #1
oldfarmhouse
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Is GE Silicone bad??

I just repaired a tank I have. It had a strange slice on the bottom edge so I sandwiched Two small pieces of glass on the outside and inside. looks good I let it dry for four days now. I thought I remember reading 100% GE silicone is allright. but now I am not sure. There is not that much of it exposed to the water. I have about five gallons in there to check for leaks. I dont see anything about mold preventers but now that I read the small print it says not for aquariums. Anybody use it with good or bad luck??? Please tell me its OK.
Mark.......
Member "Eheim Pimp Club" #35 30G High....65w Coralife...
Eheim 2224 Pro...100% Eco-Complete....Ebo-150w
oldfarmhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2004, 08:23 PM   #2
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Its difficult to say.. If it says "not for use with aquariums" I wouldn't trust it... Thats just me though..
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 08:30 PM   #3
Rikko
Algae Grower

Send a message via ICQ to Rikko Send a message via AIM to Rikko

I've used it.. No problems. Just make sure it's 100% silicone and no silicone blend for caulking bathrooms and the like, as they won't give you the bond you want.

I've seen a few debates on Usenet about all but "Aquarium silicone" containing cyanide and other crap that'll leach out and kill everything. Personally I think that's a big load - they're going to sell a caulk for kitchen and bathroom use that leaches out cyanide? Please... If there are near-zero amounts of things leaching then activated carbon and water changes should be extracting it before it hits a harmful level, anyways.

That said, I've built several terrariums with it and one of my toads is now... 11 years old or so. I'd say if it doesn't kill a sensitive amphibian it's probably not going to affect fish or plants.
Rikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 08:43 PM   #4
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Speaking from personal experience... I have killed off a tank full of fish because I used silicone that contained "something"... Now that was a long time ago however (10 years) so I never thought to make note of what brand.. But it has changed my paranoia levels considerably since then.
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 06:26 PM   #5
bharada
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

If you used something with a mildewcide in it that would explain the toxic effect to your fish.

100% silicone is supposed to be safe so long as it is fully cured before adding any water to it. If you still smell that vinegary odor then it's not fully cured. The 'not for aquarium use' could be a basic CYA statement in the label since it's not being sold as an aquarium repair/construction product (for that they repackage the 100% silicone into smaller tubes and sell it for more $$$ at pet stores )
Old 07-08-2004, 07:52 PM   #6
gnatster
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

GE makes multiple formulations of their Silcone. The ONLY one that is safe for aquarium use has the GE Part Number of SE - 1124. All the other clear ones have a fungicide and will kill your fish.

Remember that is GE # SE - 1124

DAP also has a Silicone that is aquarium safe and it does say it on the package.

gnatster
gnatster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 05:42 PM   #7
oldfarmhouse
Planted Member

Since I posted this thread over a month ago I figured I would give my experiences with the silicone I used. It was GE silicone 11 . I let it dry for almost a week. Then I added water.I have not had any ill effects from it and all seems fine. No Leaks, No dead fish. I still would be cautious if using a lot on all the seems. In my case most of the silicone was sandwiched between two small pieces of glass and then sealed on the edges. This was my experience with it and would use it again for a small repair if needed.
Member "Eheim Pimp Club" #35 30G High....65w Coralife...
Eheim 2224 Pro...100% Eco-Complete....Ebo-150w
oldfarmhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 10:15 PM   #8
glass-gardens.com
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Look on the tube for food safety notices, if it says safe for food use, it's probably OK. I use DAP myself, it says not for continuous underwater use but one of my 29s has had a bottom replaced 6 years ago and hasn't had a problem.

Sometimes manufacturers put disclaimers on a product to avoid liability, sometimes they do it to drive the consumer to a higher priced product that may or may not be a different formulation.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:41 PM   #9
cich
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to cich

The MAIN thing, is that you need to make sure it doesn't contain any "anti-mildew" additives or anything like that. If it has that, then they're going to advertise it on the tube, so if it doesn't say, then probably you're safe. If it is indeed 100% silicone, then you're ok.

--cich
Old 07-25-2004, 10:49 PM   #10
Synapse
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnatster
GE makes multiple formulations of their Silcone. The ONLY one that is safe for aquarium use has the GE Part Number of SE - 1124. All the other clear ones have a fungicide and will kill your fish.

Remember that is GE # SE - 1124

DAP also has a Silicone that is aquarium safe and it does say it on the package.

gnatster
I wouldn't be SO alarmist if I were you. Have you experienced this apocalypse first hand?

I've used 100% silicone from GE (9 month ago), that was not recommended for aquarium use, and haven't had any problems.

I believe that glass-garden and Cich are 100% right on this.
Synapse is offline   Reply With Quote