what do u guys think about the live plants sold at petsmart
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 06-21-2004, 11:27 PM   #1
Glow500
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

what do u guys think about the live plants sold at petsmart

just wanted to see some of your guys opinion on the live plants from petsmart.
Glow500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2004, 11:30 PM   #2
GreenTank
Planted Member

very poor quality. Ive been to a couple. The tanks were badly maintained. Lots of dead and or rotting plants. Poor selection. I did buy some java moss from one. It died shortly thereafter. I really have never been to a large chain type petstore that did a good job, with the exception of maybe some BigAls...I wouldnt personally recommend buying plants and or livestock from the ones I have seen.

Supreme Eheim Pimpdaddy in Canada.. #40
GreenTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 11:33 PM   #3
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

There is more than one of them in this country, so it is difficult to generalize.

But from what I have seen, the selection is sad, the quality is sad, and the prices are high. On the other hand, I have heard of ppl getting crypts and other nice plants, sometimes at very low prices.

I know it's kinda weird ordering plants over the web, you pay quite some money and you don't know what you will get exactly. But IMO it is a much better way of getting aquatic plants.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 11:42 PM   #4
gnatster
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Ordering over the web is interesting to say the least. Tell the place you want A but since they don't have any A they ship B. It's like ordering a chevy engine and since they are out they send a ford. I've never seen an industry that does this.

Never have seen a decent plant in Petsmart tho.

gnatster
gnatster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 11:47 PM   #5
corigan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've bought some ratty petsmart plants before. Bleach dipped em and then threw em in the tank. Only bought a few fast growing species from them but they have all survived and of course flourished over time. Now all the cruddy petsmart plants have been thrown out and I have nice looking tops. I guess if you can't find anything you could always do what I did. If you have patience you can grow em out to a healthy state.

Matt
Member #6 of the Eheim Pimp Club - 2 Eheim 2213 & 2215 w/ surface extractor, LiquidDoser and Auto Feeder.
corigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 12:00 AM   #6
glass-gardens.com
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I hate to say it, but the Petsmart in my area actually has decent plants usually. It has tiered display system with MH lighting and I know they at least fertilze the gravel bed. The prices aren't even all that out of line with even some online vendors, especially if you factor in shipping costs. The pricdes don't seem to be that bad and at least a couple of the staff are quite knowledgeable.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:28 AM   #7
ming
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ming Send a message via MSN to ming

my petsmart prices are alright, the plant however is usually infested with algae

10G, 2x13W PC AH retrofit, Hagen CO2 Taken down
29G, 1x55W PC AH retrofit, Flourite, DIY CO2 Taken down
10G, 2x10W PC Walmart Screw-ins Cherry Shrimp Tank
29G, 2x65W PC Coralife, Flourite Taken down
2.5G, 2x10W PC Walmart Screw-in Taken down

75G, 2x54W T5, 90lbs Flourite

http://www.mings.info
ming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 12:33 AM   #8
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

I bought many plants from Petsmarts here. But I agree that they don't take care of the plants well. I usually ask them when their next shipment coming in and I come on the next day. The plants are in excellent condition when they just arrived.
Eheim Pimp #21 (2) 2028 and auto feeder
ninoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 12:33 AM   #9
TeeItUp
Planted Tank Obsessed

Petsmart motto.........Buy some snails and get the plants for free.
Eheim Pimp Club member #14
2215 Classic
Eheim CO2 Diffuser
TeeItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 01:12 AM   #10
Glow500
Algae Grower

lol, snails and plants for free. really? these plants better frikin grow, i mean they got the seachem fourite as their gravel mixed with black tahitian sand, flourite excel now. i still need a better plant light tho. i will be so mad if they just rot and die. i tried getting the freshest looking ones : [. the plants i have r 2 java ferns, 2 westeria*spelling?*, hornwolts or something sound similar to that, and another plant i forget the name of it but it has really thin hair like branches/leaves?
Glow500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 01:31 AM   #11
trenac
Wannabe Guru

I have bought one plant from my local petsmart and it is doing very well. On the day I bought it the tanks where very clean & the plants healthy. Most of the time though the plants are of poor quality, infested with algae and dieing. I lucked out on this particular day that I bought my plant.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:58 AM   #12
all4funwfish
Planted Member

the petsmart in my are carries both live plants in their tank, and also live plants shipped to them in plastic cylinders on cardboard backs. the ones in the cylinders are usually quite good. They have a better selection, including several ferns, java, and several types of swords.granted, not exactly glosso, but betty than their tanks. however, the pne here usually has healthy looking moneywort, pennywort....and some java...a few other bulb plants...that are healthy. i have never gotten snails though. overall, if it looks healthy, it probably is. if it doesnt...its not.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:07 AM   #13
Vinlo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have bought a few plants from my local petsmart. The only thinig I bought from them that didn't grow was lileaopsis (spelling), that was more my fault than anyone elses. Everything else I have bought in the past (mostly fast growers and swords) have grown great in my tank. Prices aren't too outragous. Selection is indeed horrible.. to say the least. Plus like most people say, you have to catch them when they first come in and you have to know what you are looking for.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:14 AM   #14
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

I buy plants that look good from anyone anywhere!

Mike
Old 06-22-2004, 02:24 AM   #15
glass-gardens.com
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glow500
lol, snails and plants for free. really? sh!t, these plants better frikin grow, i mean they got the seachem fourite as their gravel mixed with black tahitian sand, flourite excel now. i still need a better plant light tho. i will be so mad if they just rot and die. i tried getting the freshest looking ones : [. the plants i have r 2 java ferns, 2 westeria*spelling?*, hornwolts or something sound similar to that, and another plant i forget the name of it but it has really thin hair like branches/leaves?
wisteria = hygrophila difformis, fairly easy to grow really, grows fast as well so it's good for algae starvation

hornwort = ceratophylulum demersum, another eally easy to grow (as in really have to work at killing it) algae starver.

The other plant could cabomba or ambulia, if it's Cabomba, bright light and CO2 will help it thrive, if it's ambulia, the same goes for it although it grows much faster than cabomba.