Big Al's River Gravel?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 06-16-2004, 09:01 PM   #1
oldfarmhouse
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Big Al's River Gravel?

I just picked up a 20G long for $10.00 with hood. I thought I would use it as a quarintine/ hospital tank but I decided to go fish only for now. I just ordered three 22lb bags of Big Als river gravel. $4.99 each with $8.46 each for heavy shipping. It says its pretty fine. Anyone ever use this stuff? I like the fact that it is not epoxy coated like the estes stuff so do you think with maybe 2 WPG and a little flourish /plant tabs I can throw a few of my fast growers in there? My $25.00 30G tag sale find is up to $300.00 and my $10.00 20G tag sale find is now up to $140.00... Does it ever end?? I have only bought a pair of guppies so far. Sure hope she is fertile?? ..... Mark
Member "Eheim Pimp Club" #35 30G High....65w Coralife...
Eheim 2224 Pro...100% Eco-Complete....Ebo-150w
oldfarmhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2004, 06:53 AM   #2
audiotaylor
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to audiotaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfarmhouse
My $25.00 30G tag sale find is up to $300.00 and my $10.00 20G tag sale find is now up to $140.00... Does it ever end??
No, I dont think it does The free tank I got from my friend has already cost me about $350, and I need to spend more every month on fertilizers and other nickle-dime items. Planted tanks do cost quite a lot, but they are so worth it for the amount of stress they relieve and the coments I get from my family and friends. As far as your other question, I have never used that particular brand of gravel, I just get 75lb bags of this stuff called micro-pebbles from my local rock quary. Its the perfect size grain for growing plants, its a nice dark color, and its only 15 dollars a bag! I am itching to post pics of my tank but I need to get my horrendus algae under control first You should have no problems growing plants in that sand especially if you mix in some laterite. Good luck to you.
-David
Old 06-22-2004, 05:37 PM   #3
oldfarmhouse
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Big Als river gravel came in and I think I would have been better with my driveway gravel for size. They say it finer gravel for plants?? I can attach java ferns to some of it. The color looks good but I think this tank is fish only and some floaters.
Member "Eheim Pimp Club" #35 30G High....65w Coralife...
Eheim 2224 Pro...100% Eco-Complete....Ebo-150w
oldfarmhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 08:04 AM   #4
audiotaylor
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to audiotaylor

Sorry man, that sucks. Maybe you could sneak over to a nearby playground at midnight and steal yourself a few buckets of sand . Not the best gravel choice, but probably better than what youve got huh?
-David