looking for better lighting on my eclipse six
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 06-21-2004, 02:54 AM   #1
Glow500
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

looking for better lighting on my eclipse six

can anyone suggest any places of where i can find some full spectrum lights for an eclipse six?
Glow500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2004, 03:25 AM   #2
Rikko
Algae Grower

Send a message via ICQ to Rikko Send a message via AIM to Rikko

System Six, off the top of my head, takes a 12" T5 tube, right? If so, any of the online bulb sellers should be able to provide them, like 1000bulb.com or bulbs.com.
You could even head to the hardware store and buy a replacement tube. They aren't full spectrum but I find the cool tubes really look quite nice in a tank.
Rikko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2004, 04:56 AM   #3
Glow500
Algae Grower

thx, yah it takes a 12" petsmart didn't have any that small, thanks for the links.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:59 AM   #4
Glow500
Algae Grower

j/w tho would the light that comes with this tank be good enuff for live plants? thats the only reason i was asking if there were any better bulbs.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:04 AM   #5
FiberCon
Planted Member

I have a couple of micro chain swords (E. tennellus) and a water sprite in a System Six with the standard bulb it comes with and they seem to be doing ok. Main issue I've had is that the bulb is soo close to the front of the tank that anything past mid way back doesn't get much light and the front of the tank grows algae easily.
FiberCon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2004, 07:30 AM   #6
amanda huggenkiss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you really want better lighting, you can get a retrofit like the 13watt kit from AHSupply.

But it is possible to grow plants with the standard bulb. Just choose plants that will do well under low light, like ferns and some crypts. You can see what I've done with my Eclipse 6 in my photo album. I get a bit of brown algae, but a couple of ottos take care of that. If you want a few more examples, do a search -- you'll see there are a few Eclipse 6 owners here.

wannacomewith.com
amanda huggenkiss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2004, 02:12 PM   #7
Glow500
Algae Grower

thank ya guys very much for the help. i just found out about seachem flourish excel last nite and i am just currently waiting around till 920am to head on over to the fish store that seachems site listed as a distributor. o yah and i lucked out when i got some plants at petsmart because one of them had a hitchhiker on it, a snail.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:21 PM   #8
Rikko
Algae Grower

Send a message via ICQ to Rikko Send a message via AIM to Rikko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glow500
thank ya guys very much for the help. i just found out about seachem flourish excel last nite and i am just currently waiting around till 920am to head on over to the fish store that seachems site listed as a distributor. o yah and i lucked out when i got some plants at petsmart because one of them had a hitchhiker on it, a snail.
Fluorish should be available in most well-stocked stores. We aren't a Seachem distributor but we carry the typical Seachem stuff (ie. Fluorite, Prime, Chemipure, ...). Maybe shop around a bit (or via phone if they'll give you prices).
Erm.. About that snail.. Unless you're sure what species it is, you might wanna remove it pretty quickly. Nothing is quite as detrimental to planted tanks as, say, 900 snails.
Rikko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2004, 07:22 PM   #9
mjprather
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikko
Erm.. About that snail.. Unless you're sure what species it is, you might wanna remove it pretty quickly. Nothing is quite as detrimental to planted tanks as, say, 900 snails.
OT: That is why I love my Loaches!
mjprather is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2004, 12:21 AM   #10
Glow500
Algae Grower

well, the betta is not the only fish in the tank, i got a loach and goldfish, last time i had a snail lay eggs the goldfish handled that by whiping the entire population out. it was kinda like a murder suicide, goldfish handle snail population, goldfish die from not being able to poop out what they ate ; ]. i have a feeling this 1 goldfish is smart tho, but i am not putting money on it :P.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.