Platy with Clamped Fins
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 03-13-2009, 05:26 PM   #1
brittanyb157
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to brittanyb157

Platy with Clamped Fins

Hi,
I have three platy in my 29 gallon tank, along with some other inhabitants. My Mickey Mouse platy, whom I have had for about 7 months, has had clamped fins and is very wobbly. This has been happening for about a week and a half or so. Right after I first noticed this change I changed the water. She has a hard time eating because she can't swim fast enough to get food before the other fish (who are all healthy). She bobbles when she swims and when I first noticed her behavior change and after changing the water...for three days in a row when I turned the light on in the morning she was completely belly up on the bottom of the tank.

Since then she seems a little better, although it depends on the day. I had thought for sure that she was going to die, but she is still alive. She is still wobbly and I don't notice any physical signs of anything odd other than her swimming.

Any ideas what this is?

PH - 7.5
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - not sure
Ammonia - 0

Other fish in the tank:
3 Zebra Danio, 3 Serpae Tetra, 3 Glass Catfish, 2 other Platy, & 1 Powder Blue Gourami

Water temperature is 79
brittanyb157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
fishstoregirl
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Platys, as with most livebearers with color patterns that do not occur naturally, are very inbred, and as such are more prone to disease than other fish. She could just be old, or she could have some sort of disease (perhaps a swim bladder infection). In any case, I would either exterminate the fish, or at least remove it from the tank to see if it gets better or worse. Maybe put it in a separate tank with some salt (between 1/4 and 1 tsp per gallon, depending on if you use any currently) and see what happens. I had a Betta that got a swollen belly and was floating around at times, and I added 1/2 tsp of salt per gallon and it eventually got better and went on to live another year. I would definitely not leave it in with other fish though, as whatever it has could possibly be contageous.
fishstoregirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:24 PM   #3
brittanyb157
Algae Grower

Thanks so much for the advice.

Unfortunately I don't have a quarantine tank set up right now. -.-

If I chose to exterminate her, what would be the best/most humane way? I have read a few things but can't remember them off hand.

I think that the fish store that I bought my fish from wasn't the greatest. I have had quite a few problems with my 2 molly, other dwarf gourami (who have all passed seemingly of old age) all of which I got from the same store as this Platy with problems. I can't find a decent fish store around here to save my life!
Old 03-14-2009, 05:46 AM   #4
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

She may have shimmy. Take her out and put her in a salt bath for 30 minutes to an hour. I have saved many platties this way. Look up clove oil for the culling.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:48 AM   #5
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

You could also by a breeder net and put her in it so she can feed easier and have less area to swim. Throw in something like moss for hiding.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:49 AM   #6
brittanyb157
Algae Grower

Can you tell me how exactly to do a salt bath? Proportions of salt/water, how long to put her in for, and how to follow up. Thanks so much.

I hope this works, I don't really want to euthanize her if I don't have to and I can't stand seeing her flop around.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:44 PM   #7
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

Epsom salts - 3 teaspoons per gallon, 5-10 minutes, in a separate container. 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons, increase by a teaspoon per 10 gallons for a few day, for a maximum of 3 teaspoons per 10 gallons long term.