potassium dificiency?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 02-18-2003, 01:35 PM   #1
Sven
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Can anyone tell me the signs of potassium deficiency, I can see that in old leaves on my plants there are small holes, Im not actually sure if theyre from potassium dificiency or if they come because there are dark green algae spots on some of the leaves that might be killing the leave underneath it.
thank you
Eheim pimp #127.
600 ltr (160g) planted tank. Pressurized CO2, Eheim 2260 & Sacem Marathon 2000, 156W T5.
Sven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2003, 02:13 PM   #2
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

If it is effecting the older leaves then yes I would say that most likely it is a potassium problem...
Usually as a rule Iron deficiencies effect the younger growth on plants and the potassium effects the older growth with much of the same look.
Yellowing , wilting of leave edges and even holes (not fish bites) on the edges of heavier foliage or anywhere on delicate foliage is a good sign of either.
Different plant varieties can be effected in different ways as well.
If algae attaches itself to a "healthy" plant it normally cannot do much damage other then make it look bad but if the plants foliage is weak (due to nutrient deficiencies) the algae can and will get into the leafs weakened structure and cut off its veins causing that leaf to die off . The stronger will prevail.
Are you currently adding any potassium now ?
Old 02-18-2003, 07:26 PM   #3
Sven
Planted Member

Im using Tropica Master grow, wich has 0,79% potassium, I use 20ml a week (210 ltr tank)

this is an extreme case, this problem of mine is mainly on this hygrophila corymbosa.

Also are these reddish top leaves this red because of the higher light levels near the surface?

Eheim pimp #127.
600 ltr (160g) planted tank. Pressurized CO2, Eheim 2260 & Sacem Marathon 2000, 156W T5.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:57 PM   #4
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

High light levels, yes, and commonly also low nitrate levels. The holes in your leaves might also be due to a NO3 deficiency. What are you NO3 levels?
Old 02-18-2003, 08:54 PM   #5
Sven
Planted Member

I always thought the lower the NO3, the better.
My levels are abour 5ppm
Eheim pimp #127.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:08 PM   #6
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Keeping low NO3 levels can definitely help curb algae, but it also stunts plant growth and triggers red pigmentation in plants. I alternate between high and low NO3 levels, depending on if I am wanting growth or coloration. For example, I recently did some significant re-arranging and trimmed down a great deal of my plants so I raised NO3 levels to boost growth. The red pigmentation in my Rotala indica and Sunset Hygro is almost completely gone.

5ppm is a good level to maintain, though. I believe your plants are consuming your Potassium levels faster than you are supplying it with the Tropica master grow. Try adding a teaspoon of Potassium Chloride and wait a week to see what happens.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:10 PM   #7
Sven
Planted Member

Is potassium chloride something that I just buy at the local drug store?
Eheim pimp #127.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:08 PM   #8
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

No, the most common source is either table salt subsitute (for people who are on low-sodium diets, they use potassium chloride, but there is a risk of strange additives to enhance the taste so I shy away from it) or water softener pellets. They sell either Sodium Chloride or Potassium chloride to recharge Water Softener units. You can find large bags of them at your local home improvement center.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:13 PM   #9
Sven
Planted Member

Im sorry but I dont have a clue what water softeners are I dont think Ive ever seen that:aah:
Eheim pimp #127.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:20 AM   #10
Steve Hampton
Planted Member

Sven, you can use either Potassium Chloride of Potassium Sulphate. You should be able to find some at either a hydroponics store or a garden supply center. You will find Potassium Chloride labeled as Muriate of Potash and Potassium Sulphate labeled as Sulphate of Potash at the garden supply stores. Once you locate either source, post back here and we'll step you through on how to mix the dry ingredients for adding to your tank.
Steve Hampton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2003, 12:03 AM   #11
Vinlo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I realize this topic is old.. but I didn't want to create a new one..

I just bought myself some "No Salt" salt substitute for people on the low sodium diets. My question is it contains some other stuff (Potassium Bitartrate, adipic acid, fumaric acid, silicon dioxide and mineral oil). I am assuming I bought the right stuff that has been talked about in the forums. My question is (well.. is it the right stuff?) and do I just dose according to Chuck's Ferts Calculator?
Vinlo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2003, 02:46 AM   #12
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

You got the right stuff... just dose it according to chucks calculator for potassium chloride.
The question has come up frequently about the other ingredients and as yet have not heard of anyone having problems because of them.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2003, 02:54 AM   #13
Vinlo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the quick reply. Will dose the KCl with my weekly water change tomorrow. Now I just have to figure out a good way of getting rid of my UGF (didn't start off with the planted tank). I was thinking of just taking out the tubes in the corners (the proper name escapes me right now).. that should work right? Or will the void cause problem with waste, etc.?
Old 04-09-2003, 11:45 PM   #14
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

It might be better to keep the water flowing in reverse thru the UGF. Just a very low flow is neccesary. Attach a small powerhead to push water down the tube and into the UGF to create a slight up-current thru the UGF. When I say low-flow, I mean very slow, just enough to keep a little current thru the UGF. This will create a similar effect to under gravel heating cables.
If you don't want to do that then remove the UGF entirely because it will eventually turn into a cess pool. :lol:

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2003, 01:24 AM   #15
Vinlo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Reverse flow eh? I like the sounds of this. I think I'll take the smaller of my two powerheads and set it up reverse flow. I'll take the other one and (currently have two.. one in each corner) and make that into a reactor for the CO2. Sounds like a plan. I dosed with the K and Iron today.. we'll see what happens.

Only 2 questions.. could this possible create a nitrate spike with all the goop under the UGF getting pushed around? (tank is only like 3 months old) Also.. one powerhead should do it right?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.