German Blues and Balloon Rams are back in NYC LFSs! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 03-13-2009, 02:14 AM   #16
leviathan0
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepySin View Post
Pacific also had a shipment of Threadfin Rainbowfish and Lampeye Killies (Cute!). Did you see them?
Yep, saw those as well. Pacific seems to stock them very often.

Quote:
No, I haven't checked out New World yet but I've been wanting to go there. I just looked over their website. What would you say is their specialty?
New World is good all-around, though I'll say they lean towards plants and reef. They're very similar to Pacific in a way - good selection, but awful prices.
leviathan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2009, 09:57 PM   #17
lopez_316us
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

Guys, Who has the best price for Amanos?

Last edited by lopez_316us; 03-18-2009 at 01:38 AM..
lopez_316us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:02 PM   #18
SleepySin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Win probably has the best price but haven't seen amanos there for a bit. Could call them up and check.

Next up would be the Petco at Union Square at $2.50 each.
SleepySin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:58 PM   #19
lopez_316us
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepySin View Post
Win probably has the best price but haven't seen amanos there for a bit. Could call them up and check.

Next up would be the Petco at Union Square at $2.50 each.

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2009, 01:19 AM   #20
Qckwzrd
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

I agree New World is over priced but has the best selection of fish and for the most part plants. They can also get just about any fish you need and carry the best selection of cichlids.

Pacific is a lil cheaper then New World but every once in a while you'll find a jewel of a fish. I Purchased plants from them and it was hard to get an ID of what I was purchasing. I think during the summer they will have an overall better selection.

Wins Tropical gets odd and ends but has great pricing and the owner is a really nice guy. They always stock shrimp (maybe not the ones you want ). But always a good place to check out every once in a while.

Petco Union SQ dont have the healthiest fish or plants but you might be lucky. Staff isnt knowledgeable about anything for the most part except one or two guys.

Petland Discounts is luck of the draw. The best ones with fish are Nassau St and 72nd street. Plant wise they always have the same selection for the most part except Nassau may have something different every onces in a while ie java moss, duckweed, ect. which is nothing special but for lfs isnt that common.

just my .2Cents
Old 03-18-2009, 01:44 AM   #21
lopez_316us
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Petco Union SQ dont have the healthiest fish or plants but you might be lucky. Staff isnt knowledgeable about anything for the most part except one or two guys.

I don't agree with your opinion on Petco. They have the worse water quality. Therefore, fish gets in bad shape really fast. They sell non aquatic plants and their staff don't know much about fish and plants...

Anyway, once an awhile I find good fish, but I tried to get it when their shipment just arrive which is Wednesday.

Just an opinion.....
Old 03-18-2009, 02:01 AM   #22
SleepySin
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopez_316us View Post
I don't agree with your opinion on Petco. They have the worse water quality. Therefore, fish gets in bad shape really fast. They sell non aquatic plants and their staff don't know much about fish and plants..
Um, doesn't that mean you agreed with the previous person? ..that the fish are (going to be in) bad shape? I mean, the water quality is bad, hence overall, unhealthy fish - same difference, no? Hehe.. don't mind me, just being a pain..

IMO, Petco @ Union Square has one or two guys in the aquatics department that know a bit more than your run-of-the-mill Petco employee. I wouldn't take everything that comes out their mouths as fact but just do your own research and you'll be way ahead of their staff.

Just yesterday, I stopped in at the Petco @ Utica Ave to get my water tested and overheard their "Head of the Aquatics" lady (Mimi something or other) sell this woman two common plecos for a TEN gallon tank. I mean, c'mon.. that's overkill
Old 03-18-2009, 05:55 AM   #23
leviathan0
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I know it's popular to bash Petco because, well, it's Petco, but I'm actually quite fond of the Union Square store. The fish I buy there are healthy, and I used to get most of my plants there back when they were still $2 each - which were excellent prices for Java Moss and Marimo Balls.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:40 PM   #24
Wicket_lfe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wicket_lfe

I agree you can't blame PETCO as a whole, when its the employees to blame. If the employees there are attentive they can have a good variety. The one near me has large marimo balls for $4 and German blue Rams for a few bucks, $3 i think.
Wicket_lfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:05 AM   #25
SleepySin
Algae Grower

Yes, it is fun to bash Petco from time to time. It's mostly because it is a chain store and it loses much of its personality and quality.

Face it, it's a huge corporation and what do corporations have as top priority? Money. It shows in the quality of their staff as a whole. Also, a large corporation can afford to keep their prices competitive. The LFS's often open their shops out of a passion for hobby.

My favorite response from a Petco employee:

Me: Do you carry any CO2 equipment for planted tanks?
Employee: *hesitates* ..Is that a brand?

...the public school system has failed once again
Old 03-19-2009, 01:20 AM   #26
Qckwzrd
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Petco are the employees. Those are the faces we see when we do go there, those are the people that "help" us when we have questions, ect. I'm 99% sure the fish come to the locations healthy but they arent maintained properly. I go to the union sq location about once a week to check out the livestock and equipment. They do from time to time carry something the other shops dont have or something thats cheaper then the other shops (Golden Wonder killifish). The same goes for all the other shops I frequent in the City. Pacific high prices but overall good customer service, Wins Tropical limited selection but healthy fish and good prices. New World Aquarium high prices, good selection and ify customer service. Petlands sometimes good quality fish and the same goes for the customer service (depending on which locations you go too).

Sleepysin is funny lol

"My favorite response from a Petco employee:

Me: Do you carry any CO2 equipment for planted tanks?
Employee: *hesitates* ..Is that a brand?

...the public school system has failed once again"
Old 03-19-2009, 02:54 AM   #27
SleepySin
Algae Grower

Hehe, thanks

I like to think that Petco (or any other big name chain) are more so the individuals that make up the corporate office. They hire the managers who in turn hire the brilliant staff.

Note to self: Must go Google Golden Wonder Killifish.. sounds wonderous! Yes, I'm a dork
Old 03-19-2009, 03:18 AM   #28
leviathan0
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Once again, **** you for being so funny.

You know, come to think of it, I'd probably say I don't like Petco much as a whole, just the Union Square location. Seems I like window-shop there every fortnight, and while most of the staff aren't exactly very knowledgeable, I've found Wayne to be quite helpful and friendly, even if he does look completely pissed-off all the time. The rest of the Petcos I've been to (Kips Bay and the two Brooklyn locations) are pretty awful.

And to answer your question (and to prove that I'm more helpful than a Petco employee.. if that means anything..), the only piece of CO2 equipment they carry is Jungle's CO2 bell system.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:45 PM   #29
bklyndrvr
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/95%)

if any of you can get to brooklyn, the place on 8th avenue and 65th street has cherries and amano's at 1.75 each, and so very nice colored CRS for $12 a peice.. I don't know how the exact scaling is for grading CRS, but they were very red and very white, with some with a high % of white to red. Either way, for $12, I'm not biting yet.... Maybe once I get a good CRS brood going on my own tanks. If you go there, it's all the way on the left at the back of the store right before you get to the salt water stuff. The bottom three tanks
bklyndrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:59 PM   #30
lopez_316us
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Little update...

Win tropical has Cherry shrimp again at 1.50 and blue pale as well for the same price.