German Blues and Balloon Rams are back in NYC LFSs!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 03-11-2009, 02:04 AM   #1
SleepySin
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

German Blues and Balloon Rams are back in NYC LFSs!

I just thought I'd share that upon a recent LFS check up..

* Win Tropical just got a good few baby German Blue Rams in stock. They are mixed in with the Black Phantom Skirts so you have to look carefully. Both genders are available and are priced at $6.50 a piece. Their colors haven't come in yet but they look lively.

* Pacific Aquarium also just got a big shipment of Balloon Rams. Nice round bodies, reminiscent of red parrot fish, and their colors are quite vivid. I didn't take note of the price but you could always call in about it. Oh, they also got in lots of new Japonica/Amano shrimp too.

SleepySin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2009, 02:09 AM   #2
Lnb
At 36,000'

PTrader: (19/100%)

How much are they asking for the Amano shrimp and how big are they?

Eheim #293 ~ 2 x 2217 ~ 1 X 2215 *** Filstar #138 ~ XP 1 x 2
Lnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:18 AM   #3
SleepySin
Algae Grower

For the Amanos, $4.99 each or 3 for $10 (They have a 'buy 2, get 1 free deal on most of the fish/inverts)

They range from slightly over 1" to 1 1/2". On the tanks, it says that the 'giant ones' are $5.99 a piece.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:24 AM   #4
leviathan0
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

This is why I often avoid Pacific for actual purchases, their prices are so ridiculous.
leviathan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:40 AM   #5
SleepySin
Algae Grower

Yes, the prices for their shrimp is a wee bit high but on most part, I'd rather patronize a privately owned shop. Besides, I haven't seem Amanos at other LFSs. The only other place is at Petco at Union Square and well.. it's Petco.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:51 AM   #6
leviathan0
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A wee bit high? C'mon, they're pretty much in a contest with New World to see who can overcharge more.

Normally, I would suggest Win for Amanos, but I just realized I haven't seen the usual Amanos or Bumblebees there in awhile... or even RCS for that matter.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:01 AM   #7
SleepySin
Algae Grower

I was at Win yesterday and they only had these tiny clear-ish shrimp with tan/brown bands down their backs. I wasn't sure exactly what they were - if you happen to be stopping by there and could ID them, let me know!

Oh, well if they really wanna have a contest on highest prices, two of my cherries are pregnant. I named one Nadya and the other Suleman.. ..I shall request 2 billion dollars for each of the babies!! *mwahahaha..*
Old 03-11-2009, 03:04 AM   #8
lopez_316us
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

New World Aquarium has them all the time....
lopez_316us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:09 AM   #9
leviathan0
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepySin View Post
I was at Win yesterday and they only had these tiny clear-ish shrimp with tan/brown bands down their backs. I wasn't sure exactly what they were - if you happen to be stopping by there and could ID them, let me know!
I'm actually thinking about going into Manhattan tomorrow.. or maybe just sometime later this week. Maybe you just saw some poorly-colored Cherries?

Quote:
Oh, well if they really wanna have a contest on highest prices, two of my cherries are pregnant. I named one Nadya and the other Suleman.. ..I shall request 2 billion dollars for each of the babies!! *mwahahaha..*
Haha! F*** you, man! F*** you for being so funny!
Old 03-11-2009, 05:30 PM   #10
SleepySin
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by leviathan0 View Post
I'm actually thinking about going into Manhattan tomorrow.. or maybe just sometime later this week. Maybe you just saw some poorly-colored Cherries?
It could have been.. they lacked any red color though. I definitely know there was something else in there that wasn't a cherry or an Amano.

Quote:
Haha! F*** you, man! F*** you for being so funny!
.. *curtsey*

P.S. I used to have these three insane feral cats under my care which were named Evelyn, Brianna & Pacino -- aka. The Third Reich.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #11
leviathan0
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepySin View Post
It could have been.. they lacked any red color though. I definitely know there was something else in there that wasn't a cherry or an Amano.
I might go to Chinatown tomorrow or Friday.. though if anyone else already went, I'd like to know what they are.

Quote:
.. *curtsey*
Don't worry about it, I tend to curse at people when I congratulate them. I'm hella popular at wedding rehearsals.

Quote:
P.S. I used to have these three insane feral cats under my care which were named Evelyn, Brianna & Pacino -- aka. The Third Reich.
I take it back. You're not as funny as I thought you were.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:44 PM   #12
leviathan0
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So I went today, but I couldn't figure out what they were.. too small for me to tell. It was sold simply as "Algae Eater Shrimp", the same generic name a lot of stores use for Amanos.

Some interesting finds included Albino Bristlenoses at Win, and Knight Gobies (kept in FW unfortunately) and baby Arowanas (yolk sacs still attached) at Pacific. Petco also had quite a few Blackberry Shrimp, I'm not sure what species those are.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:01 PM   #13
lopez_316us
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Does anyone has check New World? They get their new shipment on Tuesdays.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:56 PM   #14
SleepySin
Algae Grower

Quote:
Some interesting finds included Albino Bristlenoses at Win, and Knight Gobies (kept in FW unfortunately) and baby Arowanas (yolk sacs still attached) at Pacific. Petco also had quite a few Blackberry Shrimp, I'm not sure what species those are.
Pacific also had a shipment of Threadfin Rainbowfish and Lampeye Killies (Cute!). Did you see them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopez_316us View Post
Does anyone has check New World? They get their new shipment on Tuesdays.
No, I haven't checked out New World yet but I've been wanting to go there. I just looked over their website. What would you say is their specialty?
Old 03-13-2009, 01:23 AM   #15
lopez_316us
Planted Tank Enthusiast

New world has really cool stuff, but it's really over price. I thing is that they keep their tanks in really good conditions as well as the fish. They have a great selection of both fresh and saltwater.

I when last week and they had a really good selection of apistos, tetras and plecos.