Potassium nitrate for potassium deficiency.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 04-20-2015, 05:55 PM   #1
JSV

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Potassium nitrate for potassium deficiency.

Hi,

I have a doubt with potassium nitrate. Since I haven't found potassium sulphate, I bought some potassium nitrate. The composition is 45% K and 13% N, plus inert elements. I make 50% water changes every week in my 5 and 10 gallon tanks. I have DIY Co2 and 2.5 watts/gallon in both tanks.

Can I use it to provide potassium? How can I control the nitrates?

Thanks.
JSV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2015, 06:02 PM   #2
alcimedes
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Have you looked at the dosing calculators online? Those are probably the best place to start.

http://calc.petalphile.com/
alcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2015, 06:06 PM   #3
JSV

Yeah, I did. It says that my dose should be 1/16 tsp per 5 gallons. My doubt is how I can control the nitrates.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:18 PM   #4
mattinmd
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Are your nitrates a problem that need controlling?

Plants need nitrogen to after all.

If your nitrates are already a problem, KNO3 is probably not the best source of potassium to be using, and you should find some K2SO4.

I currently half-dose my KNO3 because I'm overstocked with fish (which produce plenty of nitrate to keep me above 20ppm), and dose K2SO4 to make up for it.
mattinmd is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2015, 06:18 PM   #5
imcmaster
Planted Tank Obsessed

Do you have access to Seachem's Potassium product? You probably want dry ferts, but this can tie you over until you get K2SO4.

So you are getting enough Nitrates from the ammonia cycle? And your plants can't uptake the Nitrates in the tank? Do you have a test kit for Nitrates to know for sure your nitrates are running high?
imcmaster is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2015, 06:53 PM   #6
JSV

The nitrates are not a problem right now, there's no algae yet. I'll use potassium nitrate temporary until I find some potassium sulphate.

I don't have a nitrate test but maybe the water changes would keep it controlled I guess... ?
Old 04-20-2015, 07:15 PM   #7
Malakian
Planted Member

Waterchanges will also take out the K. Most people on this forum use the EI method for dosing different chemicals to the water. The testing behind this method shows that nutrients (nitrate, phosphate etc) does not cause algae in itself. So for us that use EI, we have a lot of all the nutrients in the water. What causes algae is to much light or to little available co2 for your current setup. So the general notion goes, you got algae, use more Co2. If you can't do that (Because you don't have Co2, or already have a high ppm of Co2 in the water) use less lights.

So if you want to go the nutrient limiting approach to algae, you will have a hard time with plants ime.

If you just want to dose just K you can use Potassium sulphate as you mentioned, or you could also use Potassium Chloride (KCL) if thats easier to get where you are.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:18 PM   #8
mattinmd
Wannabe Guru

Nitrates (and other fertilizers) don't generally cause algae in planted tanks... So the absence or presence of algae isn't really an indicator. If it did the EI folks would be in deep trouble.

Water changing is the basic premise that EI uses to control levels... You don't have to use EI to take advantage of that basic fact.

If you do a 50% water change weekly, it is impossible to have more than twice what you dose each week (counting all sources, including fish food which is significant for nitrates...).

Similarly a 25% weekly change caps you at 4x your weekly dose, and a 20% weekly change caps your levels at 5x your weekly dose.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:57 PM   #9
JSV

So 25% water changes would help to stabilize nitrates...
Old 04-20-2015, 09:09 PM   #10
mattinmd
Wannabe Guru

25% water changes will help limit the levels of everything that isn't in your change water.. including nitrate and potassium..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.