Automatic Dosing System
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 04-19-2015, 03:06 PM   #1
Islandgaliam
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Automatic Dosing System

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good automatic dosing system, one that could do 2 tanks?

Thanks
Islandgaliam is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2015, 09:43 PM   #2
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

There are a couple of possibilities.
Both use 2 tanks, and 2 'machines' (macros in one, micros in the other)

The cheaper is to use a timer and a small pump in a bucket. Make sure the timer can be set for every other day. You will have to practice to see how long to run the timer (to run the pump). Do several checks as the bucket empties- it might be enough of a change in head height that the pump will not deliver as much when the bucket is getting low.

The more expensive option is also more accurate. It involves a pump very similar to the intravenous system used in hospitals. This is very carefully metered out.

In either of these set ups run the tubing to the tanks, and include a ball valve on the lowest tank. Then shut it down to force more fertilizer up to the higher tank.
If the tanks are on the same level, then the smaller tank gets the ball valve so the larger tank gets more fertilizer. Again, this is something you will set up and practice with to get it right.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2015, 07:39 PM   #3
Malakian
Planted Member

If you know how to solder, its really easy and cheap to make your own peristaltic dosing pumps for aquarium (the very accurate kind). Cost me about 25$ pr pump (a little bit cheaper for each extra pump you make), and about 1 hour soldering, and drilling holes in a plastic case. I don't use them on a daily basis though, to much of a hassle setting up/adjusting, more clutter under the stand, mixing solutions etc. I just use measuring spoons, and dry dose directly to the tank. I do use them if I plan to not be home for awhile.

But yeah, If you want to know more about making them, just say so and ill try and help as best as I can.
Or if money is not a problem, there is several places that sell fully automatic digital dosing pumps for 1-5 containers. But as Diana said, they are usually pretty expensive.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Kamoer_Aq...FIDPDO-vi.html

Heres one that looks pretty decent.

Last edited by Malakian; 04-21-2015 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: typo
Malakian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.