Post pics of your DIY stands - Page 6
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 05-17-2009, 10:14 PM   #76
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

That is a very nice look! I think this thread has given us at least double the number of stand design options than I knew existed before. It is a great addition to the "catalog".
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2009, 11:43 PM   #77
Haagenize
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Off subject, but I wonder if any of those Hampton Bay desk lamps has ever been sold to be used for anything but an aquarium.

Nice looking cabinet, too!
actually my friend uses a hampton desk lamp for homework, but its way too white for me, i look at it for a second then i have to look away
Haagenize is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2009, 07:40 PM   #78
curly01
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default 120 gallon stand

Here are some pics of the stand that I'm in the process of building at the moment. If I would have though I would have taken pics of the entire project, but I was too excited to start on it that I forgot all about it.
Attached Images

curly01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2009, 11:11 PM   #79
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly01 View Post
Here are some pics of the stand that I'm in the process of building at the moment. If I would have though I would have taken pics of the entire project, but I was too excited to start on it that I forgot all about it.
That is a very interesting design. Do you have a pic of the tank on the stand yet? Why did you put the big "chamfers" on the front corners - to match the tank, or just for the appearance? And, I assume the back is recessed so the stand extends to the wall while the tank doesn't?
Old 06-19-2009, 12:17 AM   #80
CAM6467
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly01 View Post

Very nice piece of construction. I am impressed with your craftsmanship. I just made one of my own the other day so I can't help but notice the little details. I like those raised panel doors and all the sharp lines. It looks like you planned this project out very well. If you don't mind answering a few questions, what type of wood(s) did you use? Do you have any pictures of your joinery? What are the dimensions of the stand? Did you use a router table to make your trim pieces?

Regards,

Charlie Mims
- The Fraternity of Dirt #66 -
Just because it's dirt doesn't make it low-tech.
CAM6467 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2009, 04:46 AM   #81
curly01
Algae Grower

Quote:
That is a very interesting design. Do you have a pic of the tank on the stand yet? Why did you put the big "chamfers" on the front corners - to match the tank, or just for the appearance? And, I assume the back is recessed so the stand extends to the wall while the tank doesn't?
Thanks Hoppy, no i don't have a picture of it with the stand on it yet, tank is on another stand at the moment full of water. the reason for the "chamfers" on the corners is so it matches some of the other furniture in the living room. and yes the back is recessed so I can help hide some of the plumbing as it comes up the back
Old 06-19-2009, 05:10 AM   #82
curly01
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM6467 View Post
Very nice piece of construction. I am impressed with your craftsmanship. I just made one of my own the other day so I can't help but notice the little details. I like those raised panel doors and all the sharp lines. It looks like you planned this project out very well. If you don't mind answering a few questions, what type of wood(s) did you use? Do you have any pictures of your joinery? What are the dimensions of the stand? Did you use a router table to make your trim pieces?

Regards,

Charlie Mims
Thanks also Charlie. I did plan this one out quite a bit. I had it sketched out on paper with no idea if it would work or not though. I figured I might as well try and see what would happen. The stand is 4 feet 6 inches wide, 2 feet 6 inches deep and 3 feet tall. I wanted it taller then the stand it is on now which is only 2 and a half feet tall. I would like to take credit for the doors, but i can't I found them at a local cabinet maker, he had made them a while back and they were the wrong size, so I got them both for 50 dollars and they were already finished. I just used 2x4's for the main frame construction and glued and screwed them together, sorry no pictures. I wanted to make sure the 2x4's were straight so i just ran them down the table saw taking an 1/8" off each side. it also helped to make sure they were all the same width so I wouldn't have any uneveness. I then added another 2x4 and a 1x4 to the front and the sides to get them out so there is a "ledge" on it. For the front corners I ran the 2x4's down a table saw at a 45 degree angle to get them to make the corners. I then covered it with 1/4 oak plywood. The top trim piece i bought at a local hardware store. The bottom trim is made out of 1x4 oak and cut it down to 2 3/4 inches, i have a router that i used to put the design in the top of it(i wish i had a router table). I still have to mount the doors. I am wanting to install some shelves behind the right hand door. I think I am going to paint the bottom of the stand also even though it will never be seen. It looks bad where I spilled a full quart of stain on it Feel free to ask any more questions, I don't mind answering.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:39 PM   #83
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

I'm looking forward to seeing this with the tank on it. How will you do the lights? A matching hood?
Old 06-19-2009, 03:53 PM   #84
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (253/100%)

I made a quicky for my 38 Gal:

More an ADA style.

I'm going to buy a 60p ADA tank with metal ADA in/out flows(13mm) and Rena XP1 filter for my Zebra plecos. So I'll need to make another ADA stand style.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 06-19-2009, 03:56 PM   #85
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by god91234 View Post
first ....

HA HA HA ...

are those copper light bars? great idea really like the look of it. i am going to have to try to copy that.
You can spray paint the pipe or use the electrical conduit pipe(1/2, 3/4 and 1" sizes for any sized suspended lighting), copper does not match with much

The ADA style stands are nice.
A few folks in the SFBAAPS have done them very nicely.

I might decide to go that route with the laminate.

Sven's stand is very nice, I like that one.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 06-19-2009, 04:05 PM   #86
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarn View Post
Gravity feed from internal overflow
down to bottom side of wet/dry - flows up thru mechanical filter
spills over into drip tray and goes bio-bale media.

Below bio-bale in the sump area, there is an inlet and outlet to the Fluval
Before water returns from Fluval back to sump area it goes thru UV light

2nd pipe coming down next to return pump is new water feed from
aging tank.

It's all gravity fed from the overflow. Return pump stops and whole
system will stop, no chance of runaway siphons.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...-overflow.html

The design: the biggest is the high loss of CO2 since the wet/dry section is exposed to the air. If it had a sealable lid, then you'd greatly improve the CO2 situation. You might come up with a good solution there.
eg: Some sealing insulation tape and a glass lid with a latch etc.

Good prefilter design, no overflow, clean that sponge weekly or every 2 weeks and it should really keep things clean. If you added a needle wheel, say a Rio 1000 with a snipped impeller that fed into the suction side of the return pump, then you'd get really good CO2.

I've never liked fluvals
Rena, Ehiem etc.

Your system has a lot of good aspects for automated water changing. I'd try and hard plumb those into the system if you own the home etc.

Then turn a valve to drain(water go to the landscaping), turn another to refill,(from aging tank or tap).

Makes the the water change easy.
Nice skills putting it together.
A lot of thought went into it.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Old 06-19-2009, 04:11 PM   #87
CL
C-A-T-S

PTrader: (78/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentledental4u View Post
I love this stand... did you just paint it black or did you add any primer,etc.?
I just spray painted it
Excellent stands, everyone!
Old 06-19-2009, 04:24 PM   #88
curly01
Algae Grower

Quote:
I'm looking forward to seeing this with the tank on it. How will you do the lights? A matching hood?
i'm wanting to do a matching hood, will have to see if i can or not though, i'm trying to picture building it in my head and i'm having trouble, right now i have a coral life light fixture that i will use until i get the hood built
Old 06-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #89
Sven
Planted Member

Quote:
Sven's stand is very nice, I like that one.
Thanks for the compliment Tom, Ill be recieveng the glass for the tank shortly and Ill start building the frame for the lights soon, I took your advice and got 19mm glass.
The light fixture will just be a simple box with t5s, no too much lighting since the tank will be filled with lowlight plants, anubias etc. Ill paint the light fixture with the same white lacquer as the stand, no oak trimmings though. Ill post pics when its done.

Im also very fond of the ADA style stands like yours Tom. Ive seen a couple of those DIY adas on this board and they alway look great with smaller tanks. At first I wanted to make my stand in that style, but I wasnt sure it would look good in that size. But I built on that general idea with my stand and added the oak trimming to connect the stand to the oak flooring.

Hope you all continue to post your stands, always fun to see different ideas and projects.
Eheim pimp #127.
600 ltr (160g) planted tank. Pressurized CO2, Eheim 2260 & Sacem Marathon 2000, 156W T5.
Sven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2009, 03:09 PM   #90
belladee
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Here is my stand...

still need to stain the doors... I dont think is is ever going to happen
belladee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.