Custom Figured Cherry Veneer Stand
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 01-17-2014, 04:18 AM   #1
AaronT
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (202/100%)

Custom Figured Cherry Veneer Stand

After purchasing the veneer for this project about 3 years ago I finally started on it this past fall. It's been slow going, but here's the progress on the stand thus far. The stand is a little bit longer than the tank (an ADA 90-P). Rather than the usual holes on the sides of the stand they will be on the top of the cabinet so the inlet / return hoses go straight down into the stand. A bit like the design on the bottom of this page, but only on one side.

The construction was done using 3/4" MDO plywood with the exception of the front header, which is solid cherry. All joints are rabbeted and screwed and glued using pocket hole screws. I'm still in search of some veneer that is wide enough to do bookmatched doors on the front. Excuse the glue residue. I applied the veneer using a veneer hammer and hide glue and have yet to clean up the excess. The solid cherry header is backed by a piece of 3/4" MDO plywood and is super strong. I can sit on the front in the middle and there is no flex and I'm about 185 lbs. The header has yet to be veneered as well. I chose solid wood there because at one time I considered doing a very slight bevel on it to mimic the bevels on the glass of the aquarium.

The inside will be painted either white or light grey as a nod to the ADA tank it will hold.

Advertisement

Old 01-17-2014, 06:58 AM   #2
Zapins
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

That is a fine looking stand Aaron. I'm looking forwards to seeing it finished and holding a tank.

As a side note, one of my stands has a white pain inside and I love it. It makes the cabinet so bright and easy to find things.
Zapins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 03:24 PM   #3
pweifan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (58/100%)

Looks great so far, Aaron. I'm guessing you'll stain the outside then? That will look nice!
pweifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:27 AM   #4
AaronT
Collectoritis Patient

So, better late than never right? I used a wipe on poly in satin finish and did 3 coats. The inside is a gloss white enamel and the doors have 170 Blum soft close hinges and magnetic tot locks to keep the little guy out.

From the right side...

This pic is a good representation of the color.

The inaugural hardscape...
Old 09-27-2014, 11:34 AM   #5
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Looks great. Should age well. I love the no hardware look. Scape is looking great also.
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:01 PM   #6
r45t4m4n
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

Really nice stand, hardscape looks Mot inspired .
r45t4m4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 02:52 PM   #7
SueD
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Love the stand - style is sleek, stain is a beautiful color - especially the way you've done the doors for the best access internally.

The extra room on the side also provides space to place the power strip if you use one. Something I always wondered what other people do about. I have two stands that have some extra room and two others where the tank fits perfectly flush, so my power strip just sits on the floor. This can't be really good. What do others do with a power strip when the tank fits flush with the stand?
SueD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 04:32 PM   #8
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

Beautiful stand! Cherry is one of the greatest woods for any furniture. In 10 years that will be much darker, and more red.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:59 PM   #9
AaronT
Collectoritis Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueD View Post
Love the stand - style is sleek, stain is a beautiful color - especially the way you've done the doors for the best access internally.

The extra room on the side also provides space to place the power strip if you use one. Something I always wondered what other people do about. I have two stands that have some extra room and two others where the tank fits perfectly flush, so my power strip just sits on the floor. This can't be really good. What do others do with a power strip when the tank fits flush with the stand?
This definitely weighed into my reasoning for making it wider. I also like that it hides the filter tubes more and makes them harder to reach for little fingers.
There's a 20 gallon high in there for a sump and it has room for a 20 lb. CO2 tank next to it. Plenty of evaporation leeway and long times in between CO2 refills.

Thanks for all of the kinds words folks. I'll try to update as the scape progresses.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:37 PM   #10
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (106/100%)

That's a really nice stand. If you had to build it over again, would keep the same design?
oldpunk78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:55 PM   #11
tricken
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

very nice stand
tricken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:47 PM   #12
AaronT
Collectoritis Patient

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
That's a really nice stand. If you had to build it over again, would keep the same design?
Thanks, and yes, I think I would build it the same. I wasn't sure about the aesthetic of the offset tank, but I like it now that I see it in my house.