DIY CO2 - Yeast in Water?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 12-18-2014, 10:23 AM   #1
Cali
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

DIY CO2 - Yeast in Water?

How do you prevent the yeast from getting into the aquarium from making a homemade co2 system?

Do you even need to prevent it (within reason)? Will the yeast harm a tank or cause a fungal infection?

Are there any other issues with homemade co2 systems that involve the basic template of using fermentation of sugar water? Why would you NOT use them? They seem so cheap and effective to me, whats the downsides to them?
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2014, 11:52 AM   #2
AquaBotNewb
Algae Grower

To prevent the yeast mixture from entering the tank, the tubing should be routed into another bottle of equal or greater size, and then on to the diffuser in the tank. This allows for any overflow to be captured. I once had a DIY C02 system get knocked over by a curious 1 year old, while I did not suffer any losses the tank was very cloudy when I got home. No one likes doing multiple 100% water changes... It is my understanding that the sugar/yeast can/will cause a fungal breakout. I did not experience this because I flushed the system pretty good. It is also my understanding that use can dose H2o2 in the event of your mixture being injected into the tank to help.

As for the benefits/drawbacks, They can be a very cheap answer to the question "should I dose Co2?" That is pretty much the only benefit. On the downside, they are only effective on smaller tanks without doing multiple bottles. You have no control over how much your dosing, and you cannot just turn them off. I am sure you can incorporate a needle valve in the tubing to adjust down the flow rate, however you're running the chance of blowing your bottles or tubing up, leaving your place smelling of cheap beer. Another drawback being the smell of the fermentation process.

I would run it on tanks up to 20 gallons, after that I would seriously take a look at a pressurized system such as the Aquatek Mini Co2 regulator on a paintball canister, at $100 set up its a "cheaper" Co2 system, and is what I just purchased to run my 5.5 gallon. It has a solenoid incorporated into its design so it can be set it up on a timer to ensure you do not overdose.
AquaBotNewb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
zerodameaon
Planted Member

I use a 1L bottle after my 2L with the yeast, sugar and water mix to catch anything that may foam up, but so far that only seems to happen when I shake the bottle or at the start of a new bottle.

Turning them off at night is not possible but you can negate the buildup of CO2 by using a bubbler during the lights out time, you can also grab a T fitting and put a rubber cap over it and just remove the cap at night but then you have to build up pressure again.
zerodameaon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2014, 06:34 PM   #4
THE V
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's not the yeast that is dangerous to your fish. The biggest issue is the amount of sugar in the water. It acts just like if you dumped a bunch of salt into the tank. This will mess with the osmotic pressure for the fish and can cause death or severe stress.

If it is about time for a solution change the alcohol content can cause issues. Fights, gambling, passing out, and saying that they love everyone is not a pretty thing for fish to do.
THE V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2014, 08:42 PM   #5
zerodameaon
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE V View Post
If it is about time for a solution change the alcohol content can cause issues. Fights, gambling, passing out, and saying that they love everyone is not a pretty thing for fish to do.
That might explain the loan shark always showing up in my tank.
zerodameaon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2014, 10:14 PM   #6
Lyana
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE V View Post

^^ this, lol

Seriously though, i had mine going straight into the tank for a while and the only thing that happened was weird white stuff growing on the diffuser.
Lyana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.