Need your opinion on which is better
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 06-15-2004, 04:40 PM   #1
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Need your opinion on which is better

I'm looking into another upgrade to my current lighting. I have a PC hood that emits 108 watts and an AGA NO double bulb hood for 60 watts. The problem I'm having is some funky growth since I have my PC hood on the back side of the tank. All my plants along the two back corners bend really bad to the middle of the tank. I was thinking of getting another 96 watt PC hood and getting rid of the 60 watt NO.

The problem I'm having is which brand to buy. Here are my options for my wallet:

1. AGA 110 watt PC hood $101.99 Petsolutions.com
2. Coralife Freshwater PC strip light 96 watt $94.99 Big Als

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2004, 05:36 PM   #2
corigan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiadawgger
1. AGA 110 watt PC hood $101.99 Petsolutions.com
2. Coralife Freshwater PC strip light 96 watt $94.99 Big Als
I have no experience with the AGA's, but have 2 different Coralife Freshwater PC Strip's and am quite pleased with them. If you go the route of the pc strip make sure you get the legs with it. I have a 96 watt and the 130 watt model on 2 different tanks and both do really well. I do however run low wattage NO along with these lights to create a dusk/dawn effect (I also have moonlights running as well). When I used to just run the PC lights, when it would switch from night to day the fish would scatter when it clicked on. You could tell it was too intense for them to go from darkness to full on midday light. So with running one of these low wattage NO bulbs, it clicks on first and they don't scatter and can adjust their eyes for an hr or so before I let the pc's kick in. Seems to work really well.

Matt
Member #6 of the Eheim Pimp Club - 2 Eheim 2213 & 2215 w/ surface extractor, LiquidDoser and Auto Feeder.
corigan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2004, 12:44 AM   #3
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

Alright, so after thinking about it and with Corigan's reply I'm going with the Coralife single 96 watt PC. I got it through marineandreef.com for $108 which includes the mounting legs and shipping. It was about 10 bucks cheaper than BigAls so I went ahead with it. This ought to be interesting since I'll be bumping my wattage from 3.65 to 4.4!

The DIY CO2 is working fine for my system for now. I've had a constant ph of 6.8 with a kh between 6 and 7 (depending on water changes and how much baking soda I add) by running two CO2 reactors. I guess the next step is pressurized.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:37 PM   #4
oldfarmhouse
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

If thats the quad bulb I think that comes through 50/50?? Not what you want.
Member "Eheim Pimp Club" #35 30G High....65w Coralife...
Eheim 2224 Pro...100% Eco-Complete....Ebo-150w
oldfarmhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2004, 11:10 PM   #5
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

Nah, thanks for the concern though. Its a new product: A single linear PC bulb strip light made for freshwater...comes with a 96w 6700K bulb. The other option was the 50/50 bulb.

http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro...ght_fresh.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.