Filters Question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 06-16-2004, 07:20 AM   #1
hlie

PTrader: (0/0%)

Filters Question

Hi,
I hope I'm posting in the right forum...
Okay, I'm planning on setting up a 29 gallon planted tank next week.
This will be my 1st time doing plant set up so I did lot of research beforehand. However, I was foolish enough to disregard CO2 topic since I found it's really confusing...

Now, I bought the 29 g. tank kit from walmart that came with the Aquatech Filter which I have installed a bio-wheel kit with. Then, last week I purchased another Emperor 280, with the intention to run both filters on the tank... I just found out (today) that with my 2 filters set-up, I could create a nightmare... I'm stuck with the emperor since I bought it off my friend so I couldn't return it, and the bio-wheel kit I got them from bigal's, and it's already installed on the Aquatech filter, leaving me no choice but the keep them..
The reason I want to use 2 filters because my clown loaches just love playing with the current...

My question, is it possible to grow plants with these 2 filters operating in the tank?
Oh yeah, I just purchased the 55 watt bright kit from AHSupply, so I get roughly 1.9 watt/gallon. For the substrate I'll be using mix of 75% flourite and 25% gravels (approx.).

Sorry for the long-winded post...
hlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2004, 03:39 PM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Hi hlie, welcome to the Planted Tank!

Yes, you can grow plants this way. You won't be able to create one of these lush jungle-like show tanks, but there is still a lot of plants that don't need addition of CO2.
Suggestions for plants: Cryptocorynes, Java Fern, Java Moss, Anubias, Swordplants, Vallisnerias ...
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 07:11 PM   #3
hlie

Hi,
Thank you for the answer.
The plants that you recommended are exactly what I am planning to get.
I'm just afraid with 2 filters operating, the CO2 level will be decreased and the plants will stop to grow. Am I correct?
I've been reading a lot in this board and other boards. It seems that most people do not like using the Emperor filter for it decreases CO2 level. If I fill up my tank to the top, will it decrease the surface agitation, so there won't be too much CO2 losing?

Thanks in advance

(sorry for my lousy english :P)
hlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 07:45 PM   #4
Mussa888
Algae Grower

As far as what I have heard is that the more surface movement the more CO2 is eliminated. So if you can, turn down your filters as to create less movement. With only 1.9 WPG, you won't be able to choose from a wide list of plants, but you can still have a great tank with that. Stick with the Anubias, Java Moss & some Swords, they are hardy and require less light. The bio-wheel is a nice helper, once established! I started a 20L 3 weeks ago, and after 2 weeks turned my filter down and my plants grew like crazy in just a week. I'm using a CO2 hagen unit, and about 20 plants. You'll get natrual CO2. Good luck.
Mussa888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 08:06 PM   #5
eds
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Don't sweat it.

You'll be able to grow a bunch of plants in your set-up. I have the same light over my 30gal. Lack of CO2 will mean your plants will grow slower, and probably never get as lush. But they will still grow. You can get a lot of color from the crypts, and could add ludwigias and sunset hygro for even more color. Also, concentrate on the contrast you can get from different leaf shapes and textures and various shades of green.

A year or two down the line, you can think about replacing the filters with a canister and adding CO2, if you want to take your tank to a higher level. No reason to jump out of the box at full speed. We've had this discussion before in the past. Whether to get into the hobby slowly and incrementally, or to try to start off with your "final" system. Benefits to both approaches.

In the meantime, it is my impression that low CO2 limits most plants' ability to take up most ferts. So you may want to be careful with whatever regimen you begin, so as to avoid simply feeding an algae bloom.

30gal - 55W AH, ecco 2232, flourite/gravel, DIY CO2 w/ Hagen ladder

3gal - endlers/cherry shrimp
4W cf, Red Sea deco nano, flourite
eds is offline   Reply With Quote