Least noisy hang on back filter.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-26-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
Dmaaaaax
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Least noisy hang on back filter.

What is the least noisey hang on the back filter you all could suggest for a 10-20g tank? I have used the ones from DrFosterSmith (with the skimmer) and they are noisy reguardless of if you have the skimmer open or close.

I also had an old one from Millennium. Good filter, but also quite noisey especially if you openned the air line:

Can some of you who have tried multiple filters please recommend a good one that is fairly quiet. I have yet to try Rena, Filstar, and Marineland (biowheel). How are they?
Dmaaaaax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
t0p_sh0tta
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I have 3 Aquaclear filters that are silent if you get the top to sit correctly.
t0p_sh0tta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:21 PM   #3
redfalconf35
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Yeah, my Aquaclears are really quiet until the water level gets low, but that's gonna happen with any HOB. The only time these filters make noise is when they're chewing through air in the intake, but that goes away in 15 or 30 seconds.
redfalconf35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
sp33drhno
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (45/100%)

i have 2 aquaclear and 5 marineland bio-wheel filters. they are barely audible. one of the marineland filters does get a bit noisy from time to time, but that's usually from plant matter getting tangled in the impeller. these filters have been extremely reliable.
sp33drhno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #5
Dmaaaaax
Algae Grower

Thanks so far. Has anyone compared them to the Rena? Those 2 seem to have all 3 filtrations: bio, mechanical, and chemical.

One question about the Aquaclears. Is the water coming in forced to go through the sponge first? From the box pics it just looks like the water comes in from behind which means it can bypass some of the sponge.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #6
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

The water is sucked through the inlet tube into the impeller, impeller chamber, and then (over)flows through sponges, over the lip back into the tank. IF the sponges would be extremely clogged, I guess the water level would rise and eventually flow over the sponges and you'd get some bypass that way. Of course, none of these HOB filters are truly zero-bypass as some canisters are.

Sponges provide both mechanical and biological filtration, and you don't need chemical filtration for planted tanks. Although you can stuff different stuff into the AquaClear compartments as well, I have always used sponges only.

And just to confirm that the AquaClear 10 (former Mini) is pretty silent. For a 20gal tank you would need a size up though.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #7
Sixwing
Algae Grower

I've had AquaClears and big Penguin BioWheels (not recommended). I much prefer the AquaClears.

They do force the water through the sponge from bottom to top; not sure how this works, but the bottom sponges on mine always get the most crud fastest. They claim to recirculate the water in the filter chamber if they are not allowed full flow. While I can't vouch for scientific accuracy, the AC20 on my 10-gallon at work keeps the water crystal clear, silently.
Sixwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:16 PM   #8
Natty
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Natty Send a message via MSN to Natty

AquaClear and Whisper are the only ones I've ever used. They are pretty silent as long as you keep the water near the very edge of the outflow or you make a slide so water can go down it.

The noise mostly comes from the water dropping some distance down as it exists the filter and back into the tank. Other than that, it runs almost silent.
Natty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:03 PM   #9
bishop169
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have a cascade dont even know the thing is on. I have to look at my tank to make sure its running
bishop169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:59 PM   #10
Dmaaaaax
Algae Grower

Thanks all....I am kind of surprised no one has tried the Rena that has removable compartments.

My noise is mainly form the motor siphoning up the water, it seems to make a lot of air so I am not sure if the area there is not deep enough and the rotor is sucking in air or what. This is even when the water line is at the very top.

It looks like I will be trying an Aquaclear for now.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:01 PM   #11
eyebeatbadgers
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers

I had an Aquaclear 150 (I think it's called a 30 now?), and it constantly sounded like an old man clearing his throat. The motor had some pretty noticeable vibration sounds, and if the top was on, it simply amplified it more. I sold that filter, and replaced it with an Eheim 2215, and it's about as noisy, but does a better job filtering the tank. Granted, the Eheim is a used filter, I'm sure new they would be much more quiet.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:41 PM   #12
Blown 346
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I have a Marineland filter on my 30 and it is dead silent. It did make a little noise form water splashing but that stopped after it ran for about 2 days.
Blown 346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:49 PM   #13
Dmaaaaax
Algae Grower

So 1 negative with the aquaclear? Has anyone else noticed noise issues with it?
Old 03-02-2009, 04:20 PM   #14
leviathan0
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

AquaClears have always been noisy for me as well.
leviathan0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:36 PM   #15
dbosman@msu.edu
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

If your intake tube doesn't have air in it, then noise would mean you need a new impeller shaft or complete impeller assembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaaaaax View Post
Thanks all....I am kind of surprised no one has tried the Rena that has removable compartments.

My noise is mainly form the motor siphoning up the water, it seems to make a lot of air so I am not sure if the area there is not deep enough and the rotor is sucking in air or what. This is even when the water line is at the very top.

It looks like I will be trying an Aquaclear for now.
dbosman@msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote