Worth the $140 to replace 10000k with 9325k?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 06-15-2004, 10:14 PM   #1
wonder woman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Worth the $140 to replace 10000k with 9325k?

Question:

I have a 48" JBJ Formosa c.f. fixture (4 x 65 watts of 10000k) over my 100g tank. Is it really worth the $35+ per tube to replace my current ones with the much touted GE 9325k tubes, or maybe even just 6500k ones?
I'd hate to spend the cash, only to see no major difference in plant growth, or color appearance, or fish appearance.

Much thanks in advance!
MEMBER: #15 Eheim Pimps Club, Cory Addicts Anonymous, COAST, AGA.
550g pond= koi, comets/shubunkin, water lillies.
165g RES turtle pond in progress.
100g planted tank= 240 watts c.f., 1 DIY 1-gal co2 jug, platies, angels, lace gouramies, congos, black neons, otos.
30g= cories, platies, platy fry, ghost shrimp.
18g= platy fry
10g= baby RES tank- Turtlebuddy
30g= temp. adult RES tank- Myrtlemamma
20gL= temp. juv. RES tank- Tweak and Mertle
wonder woman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2004, 10:39 PM   #2
IUnknown
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to IUnknown

If your plants are growing poorly, then maybe try replacing 2 out of the 4. I use a combination of 10000K and 6500K and don't have any problems. Then when the bulbs get old, you can replace the other 2, or reuse the 10000K that you saved.
IUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2004, 10:51 PM   #3
wonder woman
Planted Tank Obsessed

I wouldn't say my plants were growing "poorly", but then, I really have no point of reference. This tank's only been set up for 2 months, and the 10000k's are the only tubes I've ever used for it. The red tiger lotuses, the giant val, the hygro, the ambulia, the swords, crypts, etc. are all doing well. I was hoping the 9325k's might make them grow BETTER. Or, at least make the red plants look redder. The reds of my swords (ozelot, red flame, and horemani?) are more reddish-brown than the deep red-magenta that i see in pictures and other tanks.
100g planted tank= 240 watts c.f., 1 DIY 1-gal co2 jug, platies, angels, lace gouramies, congos, black neons, otos.
18g= platy fry
Old 06-15-2004, 10:52 PM   #4
Urkevitz
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I have 2 10000k and 2 9325K, the color looks better with the combo.
Urkevitz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2004, 10:57 PM   #5
putty
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You may benefit more from pressurized C02 than the change in lighting. IME 10,000 works quite well. Adding CO2 will increase your plant colors and growth rate.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:04 PM   #6
wonder woman
Planted Tank Obsessed

I know, pressurized is my next major purchase. I'm going fully automated: pH monitor, solenoid, tank, and bubble counter, as soon as I can spare another $150+. I've already upgraded the filtration from 2 bio-wheel hob's to an Eheim 2028 canister, and the co2 from 1 1-gal. jug to 2, and the dispersion method will be changing from powered reactor to inline AquaMedic 1000 reactor).

So, maybe I should wait and do the pressurized FIRST, and then maybe change the tubes?
18g= platy fry
Old 06-15-2004, 11:45 PM   #7
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Part of the problem is not so much the colour of your lights.. its that you dont have a "lot" of light for a tank that size. Typically red plants need a "lot" of light to really redden up to the colours you want. You have a great mdeium light setup though, you're doing everything right so far.

What are the dimensions of this tank? Is it a 48" tank?? How tall is it..?

I'm curious what you mean by "you want your plants to grow better". Do you mean faster? Thicker? Bushier? What exactly do you want to improve? (Aside from the redness as you already mentioned).

I think we need to understand a little bit more what you are trying to accomplish before we make a real recomendation for you.. I'd to have you spend money needlessly because we made a bad recomendation!
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2004, 12:11 AM   #8
wonder woman
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have a 100g tank, 60" long x 18" wide x 24" deep.

Yeah, I realize I don't exactly have a high-light system, and at the time, I didn't think I'd want or need one. I'm on a steep learning curve, and have only had this 100g set up for about 2 months. I bought the JBJ for several reasons. First, it was more light per gallon than I had in my previous planted 30g (up from 2 wpg to 2.6) which I though would be good enough, second it was (relatively) cheap (no retrofit, so no canopy needed) and easy for me to find (at my lfs). I wanted better surface coverage of lighting, but unfortunately, they don't have ready-made, easily available 60" fixtures.

Now that I've learned more about plants in general, and about the bigger light requirements of red plants specifically, I can see that eventually, I'm going to need more lighting. I've accomplished being able to grow nice and healthy swords, crypts, etc. Now, on to the next challenge... I've tried growing rotala wallicki, red ludwigia, red hygro, sunset hygro, and various other red plants (not to mention non-red plants like dwarf hairgrass), but have met with failure. The rotala didn't grow fast enough, and its' leaves got clogged with algae. The ludwigia faded to green, but is still growing. The sunset continued to grow, barely, but the new growth was crinkled and had white veins instead of red. I ripped it out last weekend.
I guess my next set of goals, beyond finally going pressurized, is to get my current green stem plants to be less "leggy", more lush (especially the ambulia). And I would like better side light coverage. But most of all, I would like to be able to grow all of those BLAZING red plants and get that crazy fiery red or bright fuschia that I've seen from others. (All this without experiencing an algae outbreak- I've been algae-free for about 1 month now).

I think eventually, I might plunk down $500 or so for a Hamilton 60" fixture with WAY better wpg (or retrofit, but then, I'd have to go and spend $120 on a canopy). But this is not something for the near future. The good news is, I shouldn't have a problem selling the JBJ.
18g= platy fry
Old 06-16-2004, 12:16 AM   #9
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Well the leggy growth you are describing, and the fading reds is a telltale indication that your lighting is not intense enough. You've got a bit of a challenge ahead of you with that tank when lighting is concerned... I have a 6 foot tank so I built my own canopy. I've got 245 watts of light over that tank now and its not nearly enough.. I'm thinking about adding another 3 x 55 watt GE bulbs.

The white veins you described may also have something to do with your nutrient levels. You also mentioned you were having algae problems so this may also indicate that something is out of whack...

Sounds like you're on the right track.. but you should figure out your fert's and balance out your tank before doing much else (although going preasurized CO2 wouldnt hurt anything at all.... and its much more convenient)
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2004, 12:26 AM   #10
wonder woman
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wish I could build my own canopy- I think it would be fun- but i don't have the tools, the space, the plans, or the experience to do it. I know a couple of people who could, but they'd want pretty close to retail for making it. So, for now, I'm canopyless. I hate the noise and light "spillage", but, oh well.

I know I need to get more on top of my nutrient dosing. Currently, I just add 2 capfuls of Flourish Iron, and 2 capfuls of Flourish (both SLIGHTLY over the recommended dosage) twice a week. Weekly 20-25% water change. I planted flourish tabs into the gravel 2 months ago when I laid out the laterite/ aquatic plant soil/ aquarium gravel bed. I just don't know where to start, or how much of what to add for my size tank every week.

I'm afraid to add too much more ferts without knowing exact amounts because I DON'T have algae problems anymore, and I don't want an outbreak. When I first set up this tank, I had diatoms for the first few weeks, then some thread algae, along with black brush algae on the driftwood. But now, my tank is almost spotless. Only a little green spot on the back glass, and some green hydra (they get removed every week when I clean the glass).
18g= platy fry
Old 06-16-2004, 02:34 PM   #11
aquaverde
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Hi Christina,

If you want red plants to look redder, 9325s will do it, and the plants won’t have to be a bit redder in reality. Tony (Gomer) has some comparison photos in a thread somewhere that illustrates the difference pretty well. My avatar is R. macrandra and Bolbitis taken under the NO version of those lights, if that gives you an idea.

You won’t need to pay $35/a bulb for the 9325s, if Atlanta Light Bulbs still has them for $18:

http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/ecart/10browse.asp?search=F55BX/AR/FS

I agree with going to a pressurized system for CO2.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:37 PM   #12
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

In short - I don't think changing the spectrum will make a dramatic impact on light growth. Intensity is far more important than spectra. Adding a pair of 9325K bulbs to your existing group would make more sense.
As for appearance - the 9325K bulbs definitely make plants appear more red, but in spite of how much we preach about loving these bulbs, they can't correct an underlit tank.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:57 PM   #13
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

I always find that a low CO2 level adds to leggy growth. CO2 is probably your limiting factor right now.
I'd invest your money in a pressurized setup. the 9325's are nice, but 10,000k's are gonna grow plants just fine. When they burn out, or you decide to add another strip light, get the 9325's.
I myself didn't see a significant change in plant growth or health, so when mine burn out, I'll go with less expensive 6700 and 8800K replacements.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2004, 09:01 PM   #14
Gomer
Wannabe Guru

I would actually mix the 9235s. Straight is too red and washes out the greens too much (tank looks too yellow).

9325s (50/50) and 6700K work much better IMO. I have noticed better growth with 9325s over 6700k and 5000k.

As for a canopy, you don't need no stinking canopy
AHSupply.com + Too lazy to make another canopy=
Old 06-16-2004, 09:04 PM   #15
Gomer
Wannabe Guru

And here is a link showing the effect of 9325's and combinations.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...highlight=9325

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.