blue light special anyone?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 06-15-2004, 06:20 PM   #1
clay
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

blue light special anyone?

well, after purchasing 2 compact bulbs from the lfs, and after finding out the bulbs were both 10000 k 50/50s that are now on my 30g planted tank, a question is now being posed. how do red plants react to more blue spectrum lighting? right now my Nymphaea stellata v. "versicolor and the Ludwigia repens x "palustris" are doing great. but my Alternanthera reineckii and the Ludwigia arcuata are not. could it have anything to do with the blue light?

i am dosing with excel everyday until i reset up my diy co2, and the other parameters seem to be where they need to be.

thanks!
clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2004, 06:30 PM   #2
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Well the actinic light isnt doing anything to benefit your plants really... so essentially you have the equivalent of a single 10000k bulb, not the two that you had intended to buy.

Actinic Blue light (430nm) is really below the usable range for plants... It does make stuff look really pretty but thats about it.
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 02:22 AM   #3
2la
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDominy
Well the actinic light isnt doing anything to benefit your plants really... so essentially you have the equivalent of a single 10000k bulb, not the two that you had intended to buy.

Actinic Blue light (430nm) is really below the usable range for plants... It does make stuff look really pretty but thats about it.
Chlorophyll a's absorption spectrum peaks strongly right at (or very near) 430nm. While better lighting options exist, to say that the actinic light isn't doing anything of benefit is a bit of an exaggeration.
2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 05:00 AM   #4
clay
Algae Grower

well, that raises a good question, b/c i have had to do quite a lot of pruning, and my plants are not looking leggy at all. i personally am not a big fan of the look, but i wonder if higher light plants will like it. i am running about 3.5 wpg.
clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 06:09 PM   #5
rkundla
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay
well, after purchasing 2 compact bulbs from the lfs, and after finding out the bulbs were both 10000 k 50/50s that are now on my 30g planted tank, a question is now being posed. how do red plants react to more blue spectrum lighting? right now my Nymphaea stellata v. "versicolor and the Ludwigia repens x "palustris" are doing great. but my Alternanthera reineckii and the Ludwigia arcuata are not. could it have anything to do with the blue light?
When a plant looks 'green' to us, it is absorbing all colors but green. A red plant absorbs all colors but the red ones.

When something like Alternanthera reineckii turns more red, you would think that it needs more light enegy at the other end of the spectrum to keep it going.

Actually, this is an interesting question... does the color shift of a plant change its lighting requirements? Do red plants thrive better in 8800/10000K light (of high enough intensity) versus 5000K light?

Ron
**** Eheim Pimp Club member #13****
75 gallon, Eheim 2026, AquaMedic 2x150W 6500K MH, CO2, medium planted angelfish tank
rkundla is offline   Reply With Quote