overdrive=more what
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 06-15-2004, 02:21 PM   #1
duck
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

overdrive=more what

I been reading about this overdriving fluros.
My question is how does ie 36 watt fluro pump out more light when its rated at 36 watts reguardless of how much power you got.That like running your car on high octane fuel it should go faster but doesn't cause i have tried (lol).I asked my electrian about this i got the same answer.Unless i misunderstood the whole thing about overdriving.
I'm from australia we got 240volts 50mhz.
Thanks
duck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2004, 02:45 PM   #2
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Comparing ODNO to high octane fuel isn't valid.
ODNO also does not relate to the power capacity of your wall outlet (120VAC vs 240VAC).
If you take an electronic ballast rated for a certain bulb, and splice in two power feeds instead of just one, you will indeed be pumping in twice as much power. All of this extra power does not necessarily translate into added intensity, but there is a definite increase. Generally, for 2xODNO, the increase is 50% and for 4xODNO, the increase is 100%, but will produce a lot more heat.
The heat is the wasted energy the bulb is unable to convert into visible light.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:27 PM   #3
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

And dont' forget that OD'ing bulbs shortens their useable lifespan proportionately
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2004, 06:36 PM   #4
Rikko
Algae Grower

Send a message via ICQ to Rikko Send a message via AIM to Rikko

Hi duck,

Your electrician probably had the same problems with ODNO as I did. It's not a "legitimate" lighting approach - it's really more of a sneaky exploit of electronic ballast design.

You know why you can put any bulb from 1W to 54W into a 54W ballast? It's because the ballast is load sensing. In an electronic ballast this is detected and the current is "sent" based on the load detected. Most electronic ballasts allow you to hook up 2 or 4 bulbs by providing multiple outputs. If you wanted to run a 100W bulb on a 4x54W ballast, it can be done, but you would need to combine two of the 54W outputs into one bulb to get the requisite power draw (or else the ballast would either fry itself or it wouldn't be able to fire it in the first place, depending on how much excess wattage is called for).

So what happens when you combine two outputs on a bulb that can be run by a SINGLE output? Each lead that is hooked up will sense the bulb's power rating. Both of them say "ah, a 40W bulb, I need to push 40W" and now that bulb is effectively an 80W bulb. The result is that you get roughly 170% light output (for wider fluoro bulbs - IME it works like crap on T5s) and correspondingly a lot more heat output. If you can keep it chilled (or just well ventilated - fans may not even be necessary) you've basically exploited that ballast's functionality in order to get more juice through the bulb.

Try it, it works. I'm a bit dubious of the 1.7x output that has been reported, but if you run two bulbs side by side, the ODNO one certainly looks a bit brighter.

/me goes to buy a cheap light meter, too.
Rikko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2004, 08:44 AM   #5
duck
Planted Tank Obsessed

All clear now. Thought i was missing something an i was.
Thanks i'll give it a whirl .
duck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.